[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OS's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: kali-dragon-middle.png (967 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
kali-dragon-middle.png
967 KB, 1920x800
I'm about to upgrade my fuck-around laptop to Linux. I'm looking for a distro that won't sell my info to lizard people but still has good usability and features.

I was looking at Kali or Backtrack because they seem to have tools that will be useful.
What does /g/ suggest?
>>
nice bait
>>
>>54967046
>not bait
>am actually retarded when it comes to linux

pls help
>>
Kali, which is basically a new version of Backtrack, is mostly for security and pen-testing.
If you're new to Linux, start with something like Ubuntu (Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu - they are all good) or Linux Mint to get the hang of it.
Then move to a more advanced distro like Debian for general-purposes or more specific ones like Kali.
>>
>>54967061
Don't get kali or backtrack. They are designed to do pentesting, not have security themselves.
You have 2 routes
Debian-based:
Mint
Xubuntu/Ubuntu MATE (Whichever looks better to you)
Debian (the above are have codecs & shit & are based on the testing version of Debian. Pick this if you feel like reading and need >muh performance without going into off-the-wall territory)
Fedora-based:
Fedora Workstation
OpenSUSE (Business oriented)
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release, more bleeding edge)
Save crap like Arch, Gentoo, LFS, Clear, Alpine and Void for when you know your way around Linux.
>>
File: fuckin sick matrix computer.jpg (1 MB, 1701x1129) Image search: [Google]
fuckin sick matrix computer.jpg
1 MB, 1701x1129
Backtrack lmao I nearly forgot about that one. I used to have a friend in high school that would bring his Backtrack live CD to school, sit in the back of the class with his hood on, and run Nmap over and over pretending like he didn't want to be caught.

Spoiler alert he actually wanted to get caught because the only people using Backtrack are cringe attention seeking h4ck3rz.
>>
From my own experience of sticking with Linux after trying it: pick something easy and simple to set up. I tried elementary OS first because it looked nice, the .ovws to Ubuntu mate, which was really nice and which I really recommend because everything is so easy to find and use. Literally no learning curve aside from getting to know how Linux works. The DE gets out of the way.
Now I'm using Ubuntu with unity and I like that a lot better, but I would struggle with setting it up, finding stuff, etc more if I hadn't used mate before.
>>
>>54967199
nah, Kali and Backtrack are the best distros for pentesting, the fact that they are script-kiddies' favorite doesn't mean they're bad
>>
>>54967033
AUUUGH INSTALL GANTOO
>>
>>54967122
>>54967149
Thanks for giving me serious answers, I thought I heard that ubuntu and mint are run by jews now? are they fine for privacy issues?

>>54967199
I'm actually ha;fway through my bachelors degree of info tech and would find pen testing useful for my network subjects.
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>54967247
This could be true, I'm not really into pentesting so I wouldn't know. Just reminded me of some funny high school cringe. But I am curious, is there any reason a pentester would choose Kali/Backtrack over another distro BESIDES the tools it comes prepackaged with?
>>
>>54967033
>>54967247
Why would you use kali or backtrack?

I GUARANTEE you don't know what any of the tools included are or what to do with them besides sql map and aircrack ng or some front end for it, which you use tutorials for.

>The tools look useful
no they don't, you'll never use ANY of them you faggot
>>
>>54967304
Ubuntu == windows 10
Pirate LM, the download on the website has a backdoor.
>>
>>54967324
I'm halfway through my bachelor of info tech and use similar programs for all my network classes.

>gr8 b8
>>
>>54967347
Name 5 of them and what practical uses they have right now, and how you have used them in class.
>>
>>54967378
Patiently waiting for OPs response.
Current predictions are:
>I AM
>HALWAY
>THROUGH MY BACHELOR OF INFO TECH
>>
>>54967304
They're fine. Ubuntu stopped doing the amazon thingy, and that was only with Unity DE. None of the other variants have it. Mint's website link got hijacked for a day, so go with a torrent (its faster anyway), and check the hash - seriously, its there for a reason. This is the software you're entrusting to manage your hardware and various applications.
ignore >>54967335, he's out of date. Also you can't pirate what's free.
>>
>>54967510
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll go have a look through Ubuntu and Mint shit now.
>>
>>54967304
Ubuntu is fine. In 12, Ubuntu would search Amazon as well as your local system when searching the dash, but that's been disabled by default in the latest version. As a new GNU+Linux user it's exactly what you're looking for.

Literally install Ubuntu.
>>
>>54967537
Hey pal you ignored my questiOn. It's been 15 mins, mind clearing it up for me? This is the post>>54967378
>>
>>54967570
>The attention seeking fag gets butthurt when no one takes his bait
>>
>>54967589
>it is b8 to ask you to explain how you've used the programs you've claimed to use in your degree(which you have said is half way done multiple times)

Why can't you just explain 5 of the tools included, their practical uses and how you've used them? That's all I'm asking for here
>>
>>54967570
>>54967378
Wow what a cliff hanger!

>>54967589
>this much damage control
Seemed like a reasonable question to me, I mean after all this guy is HALFWAY THROUGH HIS BACHELOR OF INFO TECH.
>>
>>54967627
He doesn't know, you win, that's all
>>
>>54967668
>Anonymous wins yet again
>Anonymous is totally BTFO feelings assdamages buttranged LMAO
>>
>>54967703
>"I've used these tools before, I'M HALF WAY THROUGH MY INFO TECH DEGREE, I've used them extensively or similar ones, nice b8 m8, I'M HALF WAY THROUGH MY INFO TECH DEGREE, I'M HALF WAY THROUGH MY INFO TECH DEGREE"
>Ok name 5 and explain their uses
>"I'M HALF WAY THROUGH MY INFO TECH DEGREE, I'VE USED THEM BEFORE"
>>
>>54967723
Let it go Anon, you already won the argument. You were right, he was wrong.
>>
If your really want to try pentesting and aren't just a lying faggot, give either BlackArch a try or Kali.
Neither should really be used as a main OS however if you must, then make sure to make a non root account.
There are a lot better alternatives for a decent main OS then these two.
>>
>>54967510
You can download linux mint from the website now.
It's not Feb. 20th anymore.
>>
>>54967756
Word.

Also could anyone answer this >>54967311
for me, am still very curious as to why pentesters would choose what seems like a gimmick distro to me.
>>
>>54967311
>is there any reason a pentester would choose Kali/Backtrack over another distro BESIDES the tools it comes prepackaged with?
No.
And the tools are botnet shit.

Do you even know maltego phones home with your info? Fuck that proprietary shit, always use FOSS.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.