[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tor moves to DDG as default search engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1464738782318.png (2 KB, 116x116) Image search: [Google]
1464738782318.png
2 KB, 116x116
Are they unaware of the potential privacy issues with DDG? Why not StartPage or Searx?

https://lwn.net/Articles/689303/rss

>The Tor Browser Team has announced the release of Tor browser 6.0. This release brings the browser up-to-date with Firefox 45-ESR, which provides better support for HTML5 video on Youtube, as well as a host of other improvements. DuckDuckGo is now the default search engine. "Lately, we got a couple of comments on our blog and via email wondering why we are now using DuckDuckGo as the default search engine and not Disconnect anymore. Well, we still use Disconnect. But for a while now Disconnect has no access to Google search results anymore which we used in Tor Browser. Disconnect being more a meta search engine which allows users to choose between different search providers fell back to delivering Bing search results which were basically unacceptable quality-wise. While Disconnect is still trying to fix the situation we asked them to change the fallback to DuckDuckGo as their search results are strictly better than the ones Bing delivers."
>>
>>54962164
What are the facts of DDG's lack of privacy? I don't want a /g/ conspiracy answer
>>
You think they'd listen to the memes of some no-longer-relevant shitposting forum? if you really care about it then email them
>>
>>54962196
DDG founder's last venture was some social media thing called The Names Database which he sold off to another company. That's enough to be skeptical, but doesn't really prove anything wrong with DDG. I personally use searx but I don't think it's a mistake to use DDG.
>>
It's because the search engines they depend upon pulled the APIs they needed. I was clicking search links in Disconnect and Google was sending me to 403 pages, not even CAPTCHAs.
>>
>>54962325
I mean yeah, reasons to be skeptical, but DDG's whole marketability rests on privacy. They're very open about everything they do with security, and are not big enough yet really to be that concerned about it being a honeypot.

When it gets bigger and more popular, maybe be more worried. But it was founded on privacy, not just added on later.
>>
Can someone explain the advantages of using searx over startpage?
>>
>>54962164
>Why not StartPage
read the fucking news
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.