[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>free >better >sexier >no viruses >free office,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: ballmer-sweats.jpg (9 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
ballmer-sweats.jpg
9 KB, 320x240
>free
>better
>sexier
>no viruses
>free office, not the subscription shit from microsoft
>latest unity is pretty nice and almost as userfriendly as Mac OS X
>familiarity is not a counter argument, microsoft even removed the start button at some point

What's the business decision that's causing computer manufacturers to stick with windows while linux is better in every dimensions except gaming and some other small niches?
>>
Nobody likes communism anymore.
>>
>>54960155
i can't imagine, how is it to shit on the streets in the open?
>>
>>54960155
It does not "just werk".
>>
>>54960155
You mean besides Windows is market standard for professionals?
There is still much software that is not natively supported in Linux
>inb4 use wine
No
>>
>familiarity is not a counter argument, microsoft even removed the start button at some point
but everyone bashed microsoft for doing that
>>
>>54960155
There is no real decision-making going on. Microsoft has been aggressively marketing to people their whole lives, implanting dependence on Windows. They simply pick the default option without any further consideration.
>>
>What's the business decision

Simple:

We need shit that works, that everybody is comfortable with, requires no specific re-training, can be off the ground in 24 hours or less, can be upgraded with minimal issues, is manageable to high degrees, costs minimal amounts for support (because it's so well known and familiar), and it just fucking works.

Something like that I would presume.
>>
Look at how windows users are trained.

How much will it cost to replace that with linux training?

Who do you call when something unexpected happens?
>>
>>54960155
Same reason normies continue using it. They are afraid of change and it comes pre-installed on everything.

Imagine showing a band of 40 year old office women how Linux works. It would be a near impossible task. .
>>
>>54960155
>free office, not the subscription shit from microsoft
You get what you pay for. Looks like it's from 1995 and works like you have hardware problems. LibreOffice fucking crashes when doing absolutely basic tasks, and usually ruins the backed-up file as well.
>>
>>54960277
>I used LibreOffice once in 2010
>>
>>54960155
>Apple user friendly
You've got to be shitten me m8
>>
>>54960275
This.

Vast majority of people are barely functional using Windows. You ask them to open a terminal and they are gonna shit their pants. Linux is clearly superior for power users, but for normies it's too much choice. They need Microsoft to hold their tiny, crippled hands.
>>
>>54960155
Do you think computer manufacturers care? Half of the shit the pre-install are viruses themselves.

The question is: why does Microsoft allow this bullshit? Buying a windows computer with 100 GB of bullshit programs pre-installed must fuck up their brand but they just let it happen.
>>
>>54960333
It's pretty amazing how their minds work.

>spend all their time working in a complex mess of a database software that is so badly put together it takes hours and hours to learn how to properly use it
>still ask me for help about simple stuff like "how do you make the taskbar stay and not dissapear"
>>
>>54960384
>why does Microsoft allow this bullshit?
Because people simply don't care. To them it's just features. An extra bonus.
>>
>>54960237
that's why corporations chose to have windows on their workstations. if a regular college student got to chose between a $300 laptop with linux or a $400 laptop with windows, i'm pretty sure she would have chosen the first one. then she would have used three hours to get familiar with it
>>
>>54960260
>Look at how windows users are trained.
>How much will it cost to replace that with linux training?
>Who do you call when something unexpected happens?

http://coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

Read this. 90% of the people don't know anything about computers anyway, beside clicking a browser button and going to fagbook. You don't need to "retrain", nobody knows shit anyway.
>>
>>54960819
that article is cringy af
has a couple of good points though
>>
>>54960298
I used LibreOffice last month. It's still absolutely awful.
>>
>>54961234
>>54960298
yeah, it's shit
I mostly use LaTeX and text files.
>>
>>54960155
>except gaming
some games have better performances on linux. It's just a question of manufacturers making good drivers and developers to make decent ports.
>>
>>54960155
if you have to ask then you need a lot more experience and background information to comprehend the answer
>>
>>54960590
Lol no. Not one fucking person is going to choose a $300 laptop with Linux on it over $400 laptop with Windows on it. 100% of pepper would go wtf is Lincucks and choose the Windows option.
>>
>>54961653
not if the background picture were from yosemite, they would have loved in until they tried to install itunes
>>
>>54961653
What percentage of salt would choose that though?
>>
File: 1234810246786.jpg (28 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1234810246786.jpg
28 KB, 432x288
>>54960384
>Buying a windows computer with 100 GB of bullshit programs pre-installed

I sold laptop for living.

90% of the time people choose bloated laptop over the one that got literally zero icon and black colored background on its desktop despite it run faster all the time.

Just like this guy said >>54960425
Only /g/ or average nerd got so autistic about this.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.