[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Netflix is dead to me, a non US customer. Unblock.us, Playmo.tv,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: horsecocks.png (51 KB, 642x360) Image search: [Google]
horsecocks.png
51 KB, 642x360
Netflix is dead to me, a non US customer.

Unblock.us, Playmo.tv, Borderless Internet, Smartflix... all no longer work. Netflix is hunting down every last VPN or smart DNS service and isn't going to stop any time soon. Due to massive pressure from the copyright industry, Netflix is on the loose, and will even block residential customer IPs if they can. Non US customers get only a tiny fraction of US content, but pay the same price, which is not fair.

I'm turning back to piracy.

My question: what's the best way to have a netflix-like UI with pirated content? Preferably something that can be installed on a PC or better yet, an android box. If it can download subtitles, all the better.

What should I use? Popcorn Time? Kodi with plugins? What does /g/ recommend? Budget for services, vpns and seedboxes - up to 15$ per month, aka - what I was paying for Netflix in the first place.
>>
Kodi for the UI.

Use flexget or sickbeard to populate the episodes.
>>
Netflix is shit anyway

Stop watching those meme series
>>
What happened to Popcorntime? Never used it, just heard of it
>>
Been using Getflix for the last week or so with no problems

Still on my 14 day free trial too
>>
>>54953918
Have you tried it today?
>>
>>54953951
Yep, I was using it like 2 hours ago. Sometimes they have problems but there's always an announcement on the main page with what I'm assuming are new US servers they've set up in the mean time. The 14 day trial is free no CC. You change some DNS settings and tell the Getflix website what Netflix region you want.
>>
Torrent your shit. These assholes don't deserve your money.
>>
>>54953971
Why?
>>
>>54953854
I use sickbeard/sickrage you can set it up to torrent all your shows, shits great.
>>
>>54953873
Fuck off kid
>>
>>54953971
This.

>>54953873
Some people don't watch anime.
(I do tho)
>>
Well you know none of that is really Netflix's fault: they're compelled to do these things because the people who provide them content insist upon it

Now I wouldn't go so far as to characterize them as "victims" but what's largely at fault here are the entrenched copyright and licensing conventions
>>
This.

Due to making the content impossible to get we resort to piracy. Here in Australia we have to sign up to some stupid foxtel package to get game of thrones. Who the hell wants to do that shit?

Once this shit is region free and all on one service I'll happily pay for it but until then I'm gonna torrent.
>>
File: wewlad.png (402 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.png
402 KB, 1920x1080
>>54953998
I used to use sickbeard.

I use flexget now, pic related, handles new series and anime automagically so its much simpler. I didn't need all the fancy webui shit desu, if I don't want it to keep downloading something new I delete the folder.
>>
>>54954015
Won't be a problem when their original content catalog gets big enough and they can just tell the studios to fuck off.
>>
>>54953797
It's not netflix's fault, kiddo.
>>
>>54954015
>>54954102
I know it's not their fault directly, but they're doing EVERYTHING to stop even the smallest service from providing VPN services. They're not pulling any punches.

However, they're not exactly all that innocent... for example, I don't have House of Cards, even though it's made by Netflix! They've sold it to a local TV station in my vicinity which is Free To Air! What's the point of blocking it on Netflix then?
>>
I would also like to add that I DO PAY for cable! It's around 15$ where I live, and I get the usual - TLC, Discovery, MTV, VH1, Eurosport, CN, Disney, History, etc. etc. etc.

But they're simply all shit. Even if there are a few gems, I don't want to turn on the TV and watch what they want me to watch. I don't have the time to schedule my time according to a TV listing... what is this? 1991?
>>
File: GINGER.jpg (187 KB, 1020x575) Image search: [Google]
GINGER.jpg
187 KB, 1020x575
>>54953797
Get a seedbox if you can.
On Windows I use a popcorn time plug in or bitx. Bitx is really user friendly, my wife even has no issues with it and she spends almost no time with computers.

Another option is go on a binge and download a huge movie collection then just use a media center application for it.

You could also set up a Plex server. I'm not sure if you can run it on a vps, Torrent on that same machine and then stream it to your home network. If you can it would be superior to Netflix in everyway.
>find magnet of torrent on phone
> ssh ilove4chan.summer
> cd /home/memelord/videos
>rtorrent
> backspace, ctl v enter
>Wait 5 seconds
> select new movie on your hptc

That would be so sick. Would blow a Normie's mind
>>
>>54953797 Otomatic -> Transmission -> Plex
>>
Spin up a VPS in your area, install deluge daemon and Envy Server, use firewall-cmd (Firewalld) to white list your and your friends ips, download torrents and enjoy.
>>
>>54954231
>macshit
Opinion discarded
>>
>>54954237
Emby.
>>
>>54954240
>>54954231
lmao what a fucking cuck

It probably isn't as good as flexget either.
>>
>>54953797
DONT ANSWER HIM. HE'S A NETFLIX/DMCA AGENT AND WILL USE THE INFORMATION TO SHUT DOWN SITES
>>
>People are willing to pay Netflix for legitimate content.
>Copyright fags bitch and moan about oversea's access because they want to leech every $ from oversea's broadcasters like the plague they are.
>Netflix forced to block access to legitmate paying customers.
This is why I will never go legit. It's the same with all this copy protection bullshit. They punish the people who are willing to actually be legit paying customers. So you might as well just say fuck it and pirate.
>>
>>54954271
Ur wrong, I'm legit
desu desu install gentoo lol :^)
>>
Yeah same here, they were going to increase my monthly fee which was the last straw for me. We have shitty content, we arent allow vpns anymore and i have to pay more? Fuck that shit.

I ll miss bo jackhorseman tho, the series are amazing.
>>
>get a Netflix subscription
>find about five movies and TV series I actually want to watch
>see them all in a week
>Netflix continues to shrink its library
>cancel subscription

And nothing of value was lost.
I'm convinced that Netflix gets most of its revenue from people who sign up and forget they signed up after not using it for several months, all the while Netflix quietly autodrafts its fees from those people's accounts.
>>
>>54954437
>find about five movies and TV series I actually want to watch
Country?
>>
>>54953971
vouch I canceled my netflix
ipt > netflix
and that's sad
>>
>>54954413
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54954110
It's *because* they sold it to a "free to air" sation. Because it's not actually free. The station gets paid for getting ads shoved in your face every five minutes. If the show was also on Netflix then nobody would want to watch the cancer-induced "free"-TV version.
>>
>not watching everything for free
>giving your shekels to the media jew
>not using piratebay while it still exists
>tfw the golden age of piracy is over and all of the great sites have been taken down
>>
>>54953797
Chile here.

I pay for the full plan.

I know I'm getting a small fraction of their content but I honestly don't give a shit. It has what I want (x files, mad men, arrested development, etc).

Stuff that's not on Netflix I pirate and move on. But that doesn't mean I'll go back to piracy completely. It's 8 fucking dollars a month for crying out loud
>>
>>54954489
>10eur in Europe
Turns out to be around 140$ a year.
>>
>>54954475
But they still sold it, even though they pride themselves for providing online content.

There are also other illogical decisions, like blocking old-as-fuck TV shows. In my country we never had MacGyver, but it's still fucking blocked! What about new-old shit like Brinkleberry? We don't get Comedy Central, what gives? Where can I watch that shit, if not on Netflix?

I'm sure there's a "reasonable" legalese explanation for all of this, but it's still stupid.
>>
>>54954444
USA

I couldn't have given a fuck about 95% of the content on Netflix. Almost all of it I had either already seen somewhere else or it was shitty indie B movies that arent worth my time.
>>
>>54954544
Now imagine having 30% of that content.

https://www.finder.com/netflix-usa-vs-world-content
>>
>>54954544
Felt the same way
>Want to watch Daredevil
>Do free trial
>Binge Daredevil
>Unsubscribe
The entire worthwhile Netflix experience, for free.
>>
>>54953886
it got shit on by the juus
>>
>>54953797
>Netflix is dead to me, a non US customer.
trust me, they don't care.
>>
>>54954601
Come again?
>>
>>54953983
they refuse to cater to consumer demand so a black market of piracy will continue
>>
>>54954489
>It's 8 fucking dollars a month
So, you think wasting money is good?
Could I interest you in a high end video card? Special edition.
>>
>>54954576
>Zimbabwe
>40.28% of TV shows
>4.33% of movies
How unusual...
>>
>>54954723
What id take from that is the black market for pirate dvds is through the roof so theres little point trying to waste time on buying film licenses
>>
File: images_5.jpg (4 KB, 128x152) Image search: [Google]
images_5.jpg
4 KB, 128x152
>>54954651
Not yet, my child; It is not the time
>>
>>54953797
I have to say, much like the music industry, do they even want the consumer to actually see their content?

I had my own custom private version of getflix/VPN service and it was all blocked.
I've since moved to a set up where I can acquire content of what I want to watch.

I'd pay for the content if it was available to me in a legal way.

Most of the stuff I want to watch is like 20 years old and no one sells that anymore or even offers it.

Look at the case that was brought against an Australian who pirated Game of Thrones and won the legal battle because purchasing it was only on foxtel in a single package that had 200 other channels and was $2000AUD to be installed to watch a SINGLE TV series.

The TV industry needs to learn, like the music industry is very slowly learning, the internet is the way to get to your customers.

Go global or go home and fuck off is what I say to these absolute idiots at the TV/cable companies.
>>
>>54954762
Nah, other African countries are on the same level as the movies, but for both TV and movies. Also, Netflix would likely negotiate on a per-production company basis, not a per-title basis.
>>
>>54954814
>I've since moved to a set up where I can acquire content of what I want to watch.
Care to share?
>>
>paying for digital, untouchable, goods
>ever
Streaming is garbage. Just get the BD remuxes.
>>
>>54954181
Hey, my cat is called ginger as well.
>>
>>54956048
That's fine for me, but I'm asking for my sister who just had a baby and is stuck in a house by herself most of the time watching shitty TV. I need something user friendly and shit.
>>
>>54956089
Normalfags can waste their money on worthless shit all they like for what I care if they're not willing to learn.
I keep telling my family what to do but they won't listen.
Fuck them.
>watching movies connecting a usb drive to the tv
Top kek.
>>
>>54953797
Popcorn Time, it just works and has a decent UI, be sure to get it from the .sh domain and only that one, other ones are filled with junkware
>>
>pay to stream drm conent
>drm designed to limit what you can watch
>be ass blasted when they use digital rights management to manage their digital "rights"

Did you think they added this functionality for the fun of it and never planned to use it? If you have a problem with this behavior you should have never bought in to netflix.
>>
>>54953797
So you basically want all the functionality of a HUGE company with the ability to stream 1080/4k instantly, with a huge catalogue..For free..With the same capabilities? Yet no limitations?

You're not asking for much are you holy shit
>>
File: 1465278040150.gif (6 KB, 491x495) Image search: [Google]
1465278040150.gif
6 KB, 491x495
>>54953873
:^)
>>
>>54953797
I use Plex. Just werks, and you no longer need premium for anything useful.
>>
>>54956177
No.
Not what I said. I want a reasonable alternative with similar capabilities, but obviously I don't need 1080p/4k and shit, and every show since the birth of Jebus.

I'm willing to go the extra mile and setup various software and buy servers and android boxes, only to get one thing: cataloged content.
>>
>>54956120
I bought my parents a Chromecast and gave them access to my Plex server. Even my mom can watch shows on her own now, and they just text me whatever show they want to watch and I'll download it.
>>
>>54956318
There's no way to get what netflix offers with the same premium kind of service. All alternatives are worse in many ways.

Netflix is simply the best at what it does, therefore so popular. I'd honestly just say use netflix and then some other form of getting any specific one-offs you want from another place.

Anything else is just a huge pain in the ass more than likely not worth the time.
>>
>>54956318
I don't understand. Just download everything you're interested in and order it alphabetically.
Like this guy >>54956367 said.
>>
>>54956381
And what does Netflix do? They have shit. You download it, you have it too.
I don't see what's the problem.
>>
>>54954587
You forgot about superior show Jessica Jones
>>
>>54955737
sabnzbd (auto start) + deluge-web (daemon with web auto start up) -> sonarr/CouchPotato -> Plex
>>
Cacaoweb is pretty okay, don't mind it if it becomes active when you don't use it though, it's absolutely not a botnet :^)
>>
Is there a layover GUI plugin for Netflix on chrome? Can't stand the website
>>
>>54954796
Kek
>>
I use netflix and it's decent for most of the time. If I need some movie/series not available, I just use direct downloads over https. No risk and simple for for few movies, albeit only more recent ones are found, but still.
Usually I just delete the movies after watching, there is no point archiving with current net speeds.
Also for older series or movies, public torrents are perfectly safe, no one cares about them.
>>
>>54954080
They have to renegotiate prices for content in every country they operate. If Europe isn't getting the same content as US, it's Europe's fault.
>>
>>54958946
They also have to feature a certain amount of local programing, but apparently they mostly cover that already.
>>
File: 1465008422636.jpg (262 KB, 995x1083) Image search: [Google]
1465008422636.jpg
262 KB, 995x1083
>>54953797
Sorry that you live in a shitty country
>>
>>54957039

Have this set up on a NUC, shit is cash
Just revers proxy all the frontends to a single login and set up DNS and youre able to download anything anywhere.
>>
File: weird-al-first-world-problems.png (292 KB, 608x340) Image search: [Google]
weird-al-first-world-problems.png
292 KB, 608x340
Netflix only has the rights to stream in USA markets. They would have to pay more if the content owners would even consider to sell global rights to Netflix. In other words legit USA customers would have to pay more to get the same content they already can. Not going to happen. This kind of shit USA is used to from the likes of the BBC blocking non UK residents. Just get your shit elsewhere. It's not like it was meant for you anyway [at least through the same access channels as intended audience]. This is like an otaku bitching why they can't legally watch unlicensed anime without importing. [blah blah entitlement blah blah]
>>
>due to massive pressure from the copyright industry

You mean the prople that can absolutely tell them to stop streaming and show for any reason? The ones that could effectively shut them down? You say this as if netflix has a choice
>>
This is why I pirate. Fuck paying twice over (decent VPN+Netflix subscription) to watch a still incomplete library of laggy videos.
>>
>>54953797
Copyright holders are cunts, and are trying to cut off netflix from 'taking over' the rest of the world by having their own regional services.

e.g. in the UK, Sky have their own streaming service, and every series they license from the US includes streaming rights for a decade or more. Literally every show on Now TV has at least a decade of exclusivity to them.

I'm sure companies in france, germany, scandinavia, etc. are pulling the exact same shit.
>>
>>54959540
Ha i live in america i dont need to pay a vpn to get all of Netflix sucks to be you faggot >,>
>>
>>54953797
>will even block residential customer IPs if they can

What do you mean by this?
>>
why do you retards with 2k+ PCs always want free shit
>>
>>54959820
Nice bait, but the content they want simply isn't for sale in some of their countries (not to mention they're paying for a Netflix subscription).
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.