[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest thoughts on Sony?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: sony-xperia-logo.png (133 KB, 580x306) Image search: [Google]
sony-xperia-logo.png
133 KB, 580x306
Honest thoughts on Sony?
>>
>>54950484
gone, but not forgotten
>>
used to be top tier, but now they spend more money on advertisement and product placement in their shitty movies than on r&d
>>
>>54950484
Used to be good but they are broke now.
>>
>>54950507
And yet they killed the Vita because they failed to market it correctly. Nobody even knows what it is now. I'm so mad their stupidity has given Nintendo a monopoly on the handheld console market.
>>
Underrated cell phone maker
>>
They'll always be a premium brand in my heart.
>>
>>54950594
This, honestly. I'm using a Z1c and I'm loving it. I don't know why people don't like Sony.
>>
>>54950547
handheld console market is now android. Nintendo is just holding on to the last generation of people who actually played with them.
>>
They force proprietary formats on the public with invasive DRM so that they can force licenses on other corporations. If the format did not wipe out its competitors it was immediately dropped screwing all the customers.

They pioneered DRM based rootkits and multimedia corruption like magicgate that would automatically corrupt audio quality.

They released hardware that would detect copies of movies licensed by any of their subsidiaries and corrupt it, whether the copy was legal or not.

They make over priced phones with last years technology and market them as premium devices. Hardware DRM on the camera to force you to use their apps and not update the OS.

They buy up game companies and then fire everyone when they fail to meet projections.
>>
File: 20160606_VaioSpeccy.png (24 KB, 532x427) Image search: [Google]
20160606_VaioSpeccy.png
24 KB, 532x427
I've had my Vaio since I started college, still running the same as the first day I bought it.

Used to run visual studio on it for work, but took that off when I realized i wouldn't use it personally. i5 processor handled it alright. Probably could stand some more RAM, but I enjoy the pain sometimes.
>>
>>54950484
Makes Thinkpad equivalent of smarphones
Best speakers
Best Cameras (Price ratio)
Literally best TVs and displays
>>
Panasobic>sanyo>sony(lmao audiophile mSD cards)
>>
>>54950484

Love my Sony headphones, their smartphones are alright.
>>
>>54950484
All Sony REALLY gives a shit about anymore is the PS4. Its obvious that's where most of the attention is and I don't blame them. All of their other tech is just mid-tier "you get what you pay for" stuff.

>>54951893
>Literally best TVs and displays
Dell would like a word with you.
>>
>>54951992
Dell can suck a bag of dick with shit tier ppi, res and color correction
>>
>>54951556
As long as nintendo keeps selling REAL GAMES and not free to play timewasters, they will continue to have a market.

Nobody wants to play a SRPG on their phone.
>>
File: no bait for me.png (29 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
no bait for me.png
29 KB, 500x275
>>54952034
>>
>>54950484
Using a Sony Vaio 2011 laptop right now

This is fucking old but i still love it and still works so i hope they make laptops again that aren't fucking 2k dollars
>>
>>54950547
More like, Sony saw why and how people were using their PSPs and decided to go all Denuvo with the Vita using 200% worse proprietary storage mediums. The PSP got away with it because it wasn't the age of the iPad.
>>
>>54952350
UMD and memory stick duo...
Just fuck my shit up.

Its like a simulator where Sony is the parent and you have to ask permission to do anything only they are actually an unreasonable sociopath and they demand the blood of your first born child to listen to a theme song.
>>
>>54952442
I actually thought the UMDs were kind of cool. MS Duo for fucking why, though
>>
>>54950507
Actually it's just that a lot of their cutting edge shit tends to be premium stuff, and priced as such.
Look at their phones, cameras, and audio (not the cheapshit at walmart).
Since their overall public image fell, most people are weary of buying their premium stuff even though it's now awesome.
>>
>>54952468
Fucking UMD's took forever to load
>>
>>54950484
I like the PS4
>>
>>54952442
>>54952468
UMDs were cute as fuck, little Gamecube mini discs encased in casette cases. I never used them once since I had CFW, so I don't know about the loading times. What I do know is they add weight and the disc spinning will cause vibrations. Sony is always making cool shit but the reality of the hardware goes fucking haywire, like warping PS1 lenses.
>>
Honestly I'm a bit of a Sony fan boy. Whenever I buy electronics the first thing I do is look for Sony stuff. I've always been an Xperia guy. I almost coughed up that rediucolous price for an audiophile Walkman.

And the PlayStation consoles are my favourite consoles every generation.
>>
I now fucking hate Sony. Cunts refused to honour a new warranty on a phone because an authorised repairer damaged my sim slot and told Sony it was the customer (me). Now I know this isn't Sony's fault and that's fine but the utter arrogance of their staff and the horrible snide attitude is deplorable. I get it, customers are dodgy cunts, but they need some fucking tolerance. I've an active dispute complaint with my government now. Worst experience ever.
>>
>mfw my dad keeps buying Sony televisions
>2013 Sony Bravia XBR gets weird lines until it's warmed up
>A Samsung from 2007 has zero issues

I can't say I blame him, seeing as how Sony used to be good in the 90's.
>>
>>54950484
A company far too big to make generalized statements about.

What kind of retard would do that when they have so many divisions that barely even have anything to do with each other?
>>
I really want to like sony, but they've shot themselves in the foot too often and it's always because of greed.

They didn't embrace mp3 till it was too late, they enforced their own memory card standards until it was too late, they neglected PSP and PSV until it was too late, they even tried to discontinue their longest running product, MDR-7506/V6 to much backlash.

In the case of the PSP, game sales were shit because they weren't actually making any standalone games for PSP, they marketed it as a companion to your PS3, with only watered down ports of PS3 titles.
Then CFW happened and sales skyrocketed, but game sales stayed the same.
Say what you will about the PSP's library, it had almost no standalone titles and all it's best games are ports of PS2/PS1/PC Engine games.

Vita was the last straw, they wanted to prevent the piracy heaven that was PSP and succeeded by chasing any potential customers away.
>>
Sony is first and foremost an insurance company, making gadgets is just a hobby.
>>
The low-end Alpha cameras are damn fine for their price point.
I wish I could get an OS for it that lets me shoot videos indefinitely and save my RAW images losslessly, but it's still the best for my budget.
>>
File: 1410863769849.jpg (236 KB, 1800x1428) Image search: [Google]
1410863769849.jpg
236 KB, 1800x1428
I'm saving up for the VAIO Canvas Z; searched around and literally nothing comes close to it

>>54952306
Well too bad, the reason their laptop division tanked is because they were pandering too much to commoners with generic laptops, so the new offshoot now pretty much makes expensive high end laptops only
>>
Sound Forge.
Vegas Pro.
God tier software.
>>
>>54953630
Well shit, time to go eco mode then

But really, even generic vaio laptops like i have are still useful and haven't broke at least once
Maybe because i take care of it a lot but they're pretty nice still
>>
>>54950484
Disgusting company.
Disgusting practices.

Copyright bullshitters.
>>
Shit tvs
Shit pcs
Shit phones
Shit cameras
Shit console makers
>>
>>54953681
>>54953703
t. Kim Lee Park
>>
Excellent audio and imaging products, bad at software. Such a shame
>>
>>54950484
10/10 hardware
>>
>>54950594
Agreed
>>
>>54950484
worst console
best phones
worst PCs
above average scresn & tvs
cameras are ok
>>
>>54954571
This. Sony can be summarized like that cool if not brilliant hardware, awful software. It's the reason why Apple overtook them and it's baffling to me why they still don't realize this

When you buy an apple product, you're not actually buying a sleekly designed clean consumer item, you're buying the software. I believe Steve Jobs said this when he and Bill Gates were on a talkshow or something. It's not enough to just have cool hardware. Now sony's missed out on building platforms like Google play and apple app store which is a billion dollar industry IIRC.

When it comes to digital products, it's hard to differentiate yourself because they're all, at core, the same. Unlike in the 70s and 80s when Sony was king. Microsoft and Apple differentiates themselves with software
>>
>Awesome products
>Prices above the average
>Shit tier customer service
>>
File: 13874998303.jpg (376 KB, 2500x2000) Image search: [Google]
13874998303.jpg
376 KB, 2500x2000
i want to believe
>>
File: sony-rx100-iv-01.jpg (41 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
sony-rx100-iv-01.jpg
41 KB, 770x433
Technigger called it the best compact camera something something
>>
>>54950484
Best tech company at the moment. Best phones, car speakers, TVs. Psp was the best handheld as well. Laptops are okay.
>>
>>54950594
This, I wish they'd take Samsung's place as default normie phone. Then android would have a better reputation.
>>
>>54951392
Still on that too. Too bad their open source camera sucks so i can't get a decent marshmellow rom.
>>
>>54951392
>>54950511
>>54950484
>>54953681
>>54953703
EVIL COMPANY amazing engineers! That's basically them
> shit camera
>sony

opinion trashed :^)
>>
>>54953630
Sony doesn't own viao.
>>
File: Vaio X505.jpg (46 KB, 1020x680) Image search: [Google]
Vaio X505.jpg
46 KB, 1020x680
>>54958439
Best in the biz.
>>
They've always created very cool stuff - long before Apple ever got involved with design and they take a backseat to Sony in that respect - but they just can't seem to follow through. They have a "shoot themselves in the foot" kind of history:

- Mini-Disc, awesome fucking piece of technology, nobody would disagree with that, but then they cripple it with shitty software and force people to do 1:1 time recordings (meaning if you want to record something digitally like audio from a computer you can't just transfer the digital data, you have to do it analog and 1:1 meaning a 2 hour recording takes 2 fucking hours to record it) and other problems. SonicStage was some of the worst software ever created, period, for any reason.

Mini-Disc could have been the replacement for the floppy disc, could have ruled the world, was infinitely more useful than anything else at the time, but they gimped it, charged too much for the product, then charged way waaaaaayyyy too much for the MD data drive. Iomega saw an opportunity and pounced on it with the Zip disk and that was pretty much it.

Sony, you brilliant fucking dumbass bastards, you could have ruled the world of gadgets and buried everybody else in the process but instead you just couldn't raise the barrel enough to not shoot yourself in the god damned foot time and time again.

"Sony is dead, long live Sony..."
>>
>>54958624
yeah, sony has a history of... arrogance
>>
>>54958439
Well. They have 5% stake and it's mostly the same engineers still
>>
>>54950547
They killed the Vita by using overpriced proprietary memory cards.

And Nintendo have a monopoly on a dying market. Nobody gives a shit about the 3DS any more except NeoFAG. Everybody else uses their phone for gay men on the go.
>>
>>54953630
That looks like the piece of shit Vaio flip I had before. Thing would overheat like crazy and the fan sounds like a high pitched turbine
>>
>>54950484
I've got a Z3C and an a6000, I like both of them.
>>
>>54958369
Mirrorless is one big maymay
>>
>>54950594
This!
>>
>>54958863
>tfw psp phat still alive and kicking
>cfw is the most dank shit
>download/convert own umd to isos
>emulators for anything up to n64/ps1 works impressively well
>getting around expensive proprietary memory stick by using dual micro SD converter kek

Problem with the vita is its all round expensive and Sony is still mad about cfw on the old psp so they won't let it happen again. If the vita ever gets the full cfw treatment I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

>no more z compact phones
>no more vaio p
What is Sony doing shiiiitt. They used to be god tier but now its like they don't even know where to place their rapidly decreasing money.
>>
>>54958369
They're cameras are trash but they make decent sensors.
>>
File: Sony.png (1 MB, 962x1699) Image search: [Google]
Sony.png
1 MB, 962x1699
>>
File: snake oil.jpg (14 KB, 262x174) Image search: [Google]
snake oil.jpg
14 KB, 262x174
>>54950484
LOW
O
W

NOISE
O
I
S
E

MICROSD
I
C
R
O
S
D

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/sony-will-sell-a-premium-sound-microsdxc-card-to-audiophiles-in-japan/

It's unbelievable how stupid audiophiles can get
>>
File: garbage.jpg (21 KB, 657x425) Image search: [Google]
garbage.jpg
21 KB, 657x425
>>54950484
Lot's of shit nowadays, plethora of amazing products over the years and still some good new stuff. I'm torn. I despise their audio branding and marketing, their Xperia smartphones are a hit or miss every year and they produce a lot of garbage. There are some extremely nice high end consumer electronics products which aren't really popular because of the price point but are often shown to be amazing in terms of quality.

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/index.php
>>
>>54950484
going to be bankrupt within 10 years
>>
a shit company hanging on by a thread
>>
Have a s3, lp player, dab radio, cd player and amp from sony
All work great, all about 10 years old now and I still use them regularly
No fucks given
>>
With Sony, Sharp and Panasonic gone we are stuck with Korean planned obsolescence junk or Chinese chinkshit. Thanks to all the plebs that like buying a Samsung TV that dies one month after the warranty expires. I hope Sony survives, but they'll be probably be bankrupt in a few years.
>>
>>54951684
I hated the memory stick cards
>>
>>54952293
Dont over estimate the new generation of gamers.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 KB, 142x80) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 KB, 142x80
- DRM for the camera apps
- digitizers that make your phone unusable with the slightest crack, in every Z series phone
- bloat shit
- it was never meant to be water proof lel
>>
>>54952497
Sony's image problem was because they decided to try and pull a Samsung, and slapped products across an entire price range from budget upwards, and their budget stuff sucked. It reflected on Sony's brand image and it's still hurting them. On the plus side Sony have a pretty strong hold of the market in Europe, who remained relatively loyal to the brand.

Funny thing is, they owned a budget brand at the time that rather than pumping more money into it, they decided to kill and slap Sony on everything.

The company would probably be way better off if they had their budget brand competing with the low end, and kept sony at the upper mid to high end while sharing technologies.
>>
Camera and sensor God tier
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.