[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fedora 24 launch: week to go!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: fedora-logo.png (551 KB, 7200x7200) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo.png
551 KB, 7200x7200
>Final Release Public Availability (GA) Tue 14 Jun 2016

RPMFusion repos should be on-line right at the launch this time. Anyone testing beta?
>>
>>54940255
I wanted to but i couldn't get dnf upgrade to go from 23->24b, cbf backing up everything to do a fresh install
>>
>>54940255
Is anything important coming with Fedora 24? Is Wayland support coming out of the box?
>>
>>54940255
It's still going to be wank.
>>
>>54940419
>wayland
nop, shits still fucked atm
>>
>>54940472
We are going to be stuck with X.Org forever, aren't we?
>>
>>54940482
Is it really a problem though.
>>
>>54940506
X.Org is ancient and relies on hacks and duck tape to even function.
>>
>>54940255
After f22 and f23, I'm tired of having to reinstall every year.

I'm going TV go with Ubuntu 16.04 after my exams are done. Fedora was nice, but I think I'll be happier in an lts release.
>>
I will wait for when RPMfusion is ready.
>>
I wonder if they will include proper font rendering like every other distro has had since day one.
>>
>>54940563
You don't need to reinstall, the package manager can upgrade it
>>
>>54940601
They can't because of licensing issues, just follow this guide.

https://danielrenninghoff.com/2015/11/22/infinality-ultimate-bundle-packaged-for-fedora/
>>
>>54940624
It didn't work going from 22 to 23.

I'll try it for 24, but if it fails again I'll make the change.
>>
>>54940255
Oh hai hello, old fedora techie reporting in
Never install a fresh Fedora release as your main and only OS
- before having checked the "common bugs" page
- before checking that the "common bugs page" EVEN EXISTS YET
If you're rocking a Fedora as your only OS, wait ~2 weeks before upgrading, so you'll get the bunch of fixes there will inevitably be

Note that I'm not discouraging you to live on leading edge and test things and report bugs, as long as you do it conveniently

Once upon a time I rode the rawhide edge on my personal, main workstation, and it was fun - but I was unemployed too

Take care
*tips, 360 degrees thing and walks away"
>>
>>54940731
that was an emotional rollercoaster
>>
>>54940563
yeah I made the same choice except I went to debian. What DE are you thinking of using?
>>
>>54941222
MATE.

The computers I use Linux on tend to be underpowered, so i prefer lighter DEs like mate.
>>
>>54940419
>>54940472

damn i was really excited about wayland a few years ago but it seems the devs dont have the resources.

i know making a new X aint easy but after years i thought we would have more than RebeccaBlackOS (which didnt even boot on my machine )
>>
>using a distro named after a meme
Shiggy
>>
I'll wait for 6 months before upgrading from 23
>>
My experience with Fedora hasn't been great lately. Has anyone here switched from Fedora to that new OpenSuse rolling-release-with-automatic-testing thing? How has it been?
>>
File: hook yourself, my man.jpg (777 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
hook yourself, my man.jpg
777 KB, 2448x3264
>>54941717
>not using a distro named and derived from Red Hat, arguably the most important distro ever.
>>
>>54940419
>>54940482
It will have Wayland support out of the box but the Xorg session will still be default.
>>
>>54941717
>Only argument is silly name
grow up
>>
Wish they brought back the dope names for my favorite GNU OS. Anyone remember Fedora 18 Spherical Cow? Those where the days.
>>
>>54947635
*tips fedora*
>>
>>54941651

Isn't MATE a massive resource hog these days?
>>
>>54940563
>I'm tired of having to reinstall every year so I'm switching from a distro you can upgrade to one you can't
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.