[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what possible reason do you have to own one of these when pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 08G-P4-6180-KR-l.jpg (262 KB, 960x1451) Image search: [Google]
08G-P4-6180-KR-l.jpg
262 KB, 960x1451
what possible reason do you have to own one of these when pc games are limited to ps4 / xbox one levels?
>>
a shitton of antialiasing
>>
>>54936281
>when pc games are limited to ps4 / xbox one levels?
No they're not. While the piss 4 is limited to 30FPS, 900p resolution and medium-ish pc graphics settings, I can easily reach 60FPS+ at 1440p on maximum graphics settings on my R9 390X GPU.

However I don't see why anyone would be stupid enough to get the 1080, it's fermi 2.0 and has hardware async.
>>
My GPU is nearly 5 years old now, it can't play Dark Souls 3 very well.
>>
GTX 1080 exists for people with a cuck fetish.
>>
>>54936281
muh 4k
>>
File: slicked-back.jpg (82 KB, 640x750) Image search: [Google]
slicked-back.jpg
82 KB, 640x750
I am sexier and richer than you OP. That's why.
>>
>>54936394
>muh async! Amd hardware finally does something better!
lulz, enjoy your 12 percent better perfomance in the 8 dx12 games and upcoming xbone ports and literally nothing else that will make use of async in the next 2 years.
>>
>>54936453
>lulz, enjoy your 12 percent better perfomance in the 8 dx12 games and upcoming xbone ports and literally nothing else that will make use of async in the next 2 years.
>what is VR
I hope you really really fucking hate VR family. Especially the part where VR anime tiddies flop in front of your face.
>>
>>54936471

Sure thing anon. What upcoming dx12 vr games are you looking forward to?
>>
I'll keep my 970 for now
>>
>>54936281
theyre not
>>
>>54936394
> piss 4 is limited to 30FPS, 900p resolution
But that's wrong. There are quite a few games that run 1080@60 on the PS4, certainly more than on the Xbox One anyway.

Both Sony and MS are bringing out new consoles soon anyway - the PS4 Neo and the Xbox One Scorpio. Fuck knows why.
>>
File: 1350346269220.png (1 MB, 1181x895) Image search: [Google]
1350346269220.png
1 MB, 1181x895
>>54936281
Except that they're not
PC games are surpassing consoles all the fucking time
Just look at that 4K Witcher 3 screenshot that's floating around the internet

What a glorious time to be a PC gamer.....

If only companies didn't intentionally gimp games to prevent the glaring disparity between PC and console games, or even spent an ounce of trying to optimize them, I could die happy

>Most games barely register a blip on my GTX 980ti
>Overwatch
>Fucking 80C with the fans running full-bore
>>
>/g/ falling for shitty /v/ bait
Disgusting. PC gaymers need their own circlejerk board or something.
>>
>>54936591
> graphics cards aren't technology
creamy meme dude
>>
>>54936599
You're not even talking about the graphics card, it's a fucking console vs PC thread.
>>
>>54936614
> consoles aren't technology
> PCs aren't technology
creamy m e m e dude

Comparing and contrasting two different technologies is still technology.
>>
>>54936471
But Pascal is great for VR
>>
>>54936584
Overwatch by default is set to dynamically manage your render resolution. If you have a beefy computer it supersamples by default. Check your options.
>>
I only have 2GB of VRAM.

I can't run anything unless the textures are on lowest now.
>>
>>54936664
It's not, it has no async compute the thing VR demands the most. It's starting to show.
>>
>>54936716
>async
>the thing VR demands the most

You literally have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
>>
>>54936736
Should have just replied with "what is lens matched shading".

AMDrones just heard "cheap VR" and they think it is better.

Hope they enjoy the frame skipping.
>>
>>54936694
DDR3? Because 2 GB DDR5 is way more than enough for most games.
>>
>>54936842
It's really not.
>>
>>54936736

What fucking dx12 vr games are you looking forward to anon. Do you even fucking know of any?

>Bu-but amd is finally king guys i swear.
>>
>>54936880
None because DX12 is dead in the water. Vulkan is where its at and async compute is a meme.
>>
>>54936842
If you're playing Medium/High on 1080p, perhaps. Beyond that, not really.
>>
>>54936281
>pc games are limited to ps4 / xbox one levels

Uhhh because they aren't you fucking moron.
>>
>>54936888
>async compute is a meme.
To you, because you're a nvidia fanboy who is conditioned to think that way.

to everyone else, including games developers, it's a real boon.
>>
>>54937225
What's async compute?

I've been looking into both g-sync and freesync. Interesting stuff, if a tad out of my price range right now.
>>
>>54936281
Status symbol among le gaymers
>>
To be a good little goyim and support Nvidia.
>>
>>54937225
>to everyone else, including games developers, it's a real boon.

how exactly is it a boon? the only thing you gain from it is greater utilization on AMD GPUs, which makes up a marginal market share and requires implementing a renderer written against dx12 or vulkan, which is 100x the developer time and is going to create extreme technical debt since the vulkan spec is still being revised on a near weekly basis
>>
>>54937813
>the only thing you gain from it is greater utilization on AMD GPUs,
No, that's just DX12 itself, since AMD's DX11MP implementation was so poor.

Async compute allows for shaders to run 'out of band' so effects, gi, what have you can be computed without holding up the current frame.
nVidia doesn't have HARDWARE async compute no, but it's not like they don't have it at all - AMD's does it with their ACE's which allow the cards themselves to essentially manage themselves and schedule shader use much better, nvidia doesn't have this in silicon, they're doing it in software on the CPU (the management part)
This is 'bad' for a general shit-box build with some quad-core i5/i7 because games are already utilising 4 or more threads along with the DX11MP/DX12 renderer, etc - with AMD there you're getting extra compute resources for management.
HOWEVER, if you're using say an overclocked 5960X, you'll probably find that nVidia's solution will actually work out faster in the long run (especially in the long run as silicon can't be changed but software can)

Async compute rocks.
The only people complaining about it are either uneducated or poorfag nvidia fanboys. (very specificially poorfag, non-poor nv fans will have nice CPUs)
>>
>>54937938
>No, that's just DX12 itself, since AMD's DX11MP implementation was so poor.

AMD's everything is poor. The utilization issue is a design flaw of GCN, they didn't have this issue with pre-GCN architectures.

>Async compute allows for shaders to run 'out of band' so effects, gi, what have you can be computed without holding up the current frame.

it's clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, both amd and nvidia gpus only expose one graphics pipeline to vulkan (and this is not changing with gcn 1.4 or pascal). async compute only gives you the benefit of running graphics and a compute task concurrently, which only a fraction of games will ever need or make use of
>>
>>54936453
>>54937999
>Async compute is a new technology that actually makes the GPU work simultaneous and not locked in a single stream of work, using the whole GPU all the time instead of leaving idle parts waiting for their turn
>NVidia can't use it, therefore it is bad and useless shit
>>
File: 1080.jpg (19 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1080.jpg
19 KB, 400x225
>>54936281
Because I can. Also I wanted one.
>>
>>54938143
Even if Nvidia could use it, it would provide less than 2% improvement to performance since Nvidia cards are very effective at providing full utilization, unlike AMD cards. Async compute only provides such a large benefit to AMD cards because AMD cards have utilization problems.
>>
i5 2500k
GTX 560 TI

If I buy a gtx1070, will I be able to run Witcher 3 at maximum 1080p or 1440p or it'll bottleneck too much?

Thank you anons
>>
>>54941153
Even if AMD was suffering from utilization issues, it proves that Async can do much. The 2% in on Nvidia cards which can't make use of it. So yeah, it's bad when you don't use it. Awesome discovery. Plus, it doesn't affect utilization, it affects when resources are utilized. Instead of using them linearly, async allows to do stuff simultaneously. It is a great deal and even if NVidia brute forces the shit out of their render process doesn't mean async is unneeded. NVidia could do infinitely better with proper support, but they are not innovating the architecture, rather adding muh 3D screenshots.
>>
>>54936716
It will take a good while for async compute, DX12/vulkan to be properly utilized.

By the time that is the case it would be time for an upgrade anyway.
For the budget conscious with what is available now the 1080 does not sound like a good card for 4K if you want to max everything.

It is turbulent times for VR especially, not just for GPUs but the HMDs themselves. Still early days so the hardware can see some improvements and drop a lot in price.

New hardware features for VR might start to pop up that would improve the experience immensely. On GPU side certain hardware side optimizations to reduce latency and increase throughput.

On the HMD side, higher resolution combined with a low latency eye tracking solution. This allows foveated rendering to become a thing which could be a huge boon for performance the higher the resolution becomes. Could probably even emulate depth perception by tracking dilation of the eye.

Another huge improvement could be a different display tech altogether like projecting straight to the eye or utilizing light field displays which would mimic natural light more readily allowing for a natural sense of depth.

A lot of software and hardware optimization is missing in that field. A lot will change as new methods become viable and solutions are developed.

For the here and now 1080 is the best for those whom don't care about performance per dollar and the 480 seems to be the best bang for buck card for entry level VR in the near future but I will reserve judgment until proper unbiased benchmarks are out.

980 seems to be doing well enough for me at the time being, at least for VR. I could go for a 1440 monitor but I am waiting for 4K to drop in price and a mid range or flagship AMD/Nvidia GPU capable of maxing out the latest and greatest at 4K 60fps. Hoping this would be a reality in 3 years time.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.