[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UMPC / Comfy Shitposting Device / Handheld Computer Thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: openpandora_multitasking.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
openpandora_multitasking.jpg
483 KB, 1920x1440
UMPC / Comfy Shitposting Device / Handheld Computer Thread!

>Pyra prototypes still not ready to ship
>GPD Win closing in, Japan crowdfunding underway
>PocketChip shipping this month
>>
>>54931889
>arm
>computer
>>
pyra is garbage to be honest my family

overpriced, looks like a literal brick, underpowered and only appeals to the minority on the aspect of muh freedoms

gpd win is a better option for specs to cost, nothing says you cant install gentoo on it

pocketchip is going to be for those who wanted a rpi0 but cant figure out what to do with it to make it a mobile shitposting device
>>
>>54931952
>nothing says you cant install gentoo on it
You really can't.
>No radio driver
>no touchscreen driver
>no audio driver
>shit gpu driver
>bootloader likely locked (as it is on almost all baytrail tablets)
>marketed as a gaymen device so likely no linux support from the devs
>>
>>54931889
pocketchip is gonna be a fun, cheap handheld to dick around on. i should be getting it in the mail this month.

i really want to like the pyra but it costs a bit much and how stuff like final specs, pre-orders, release date, etc is being handled just screams "this isn't coming out for a while". supposed to be pandora done right, but looks more of the same

in oldass linux handheld news, dorks are still doing shit with the zipit z2. of all things there's an openwrt nightly build for it
>>
i thought about getting pocket chip, but i'm still waiting for reviews

the keyboard particularly worries me
>>
File: MiniKey_Komplett.jpg (41 KB, 400x557) Image search: [Google]
MiniKey_Komplett.jpg
41 KB, 400x557
>comfy
just got this bad boy
>>
File: Vaio VGN-UX180P.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
Vaio VGN-UX180P.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Why can't any of these modern UMPCs get it right and clone the Vaio UX?
>>
>>54932768
I want a pocketCHIP, but only to replace the CHIP part with the USBarmory. Because why can't I be comfy while I encrypt/decrypt messages on a secure offline computer?

I already checked and it would be tricky to make it work. Hence >>54933059
>>
File: usb-armory-1542_jpg_open-graph.jpg (60 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
usb-armory-1542_jpg_open-graph.jpg
60 KB, 1500x1000
>>54933464
Forgot pic related USBarmory
>>
>>54933191
Because the Vaio UX is shit by todays standards due to how heavy and bulky it is. It's only slightly smaller heightwise than a TI-83 and almost twice as thick (or the same dimensions as 2 Nintedo 3DS XLs stacked on top of each other) while weighing 1.2 lbs, which puts it completely outside the realm of what people are willing to carry in their pocket while it still has all the compromises of a device designed to fit into small pockets.
>>
>>54933747
No fucking shit the dimensions are bad, but the form factor is incredibly superior to clamshell. That's what I meant, I didn't mean a 1:1 replica, I'm just sick of seeing UMPCs that are mini netbooks.
>>
>>54933794
The clamshell is used because it is a better design due to it giving more room for the keyboard and other input devices than a sliding screen design and protecting the screen when closed.
>>
>>54933847
I don't care why they use it, slider is better.
>>
>>54933886
>slider is better.
Might I ask how?
>>
>>54933925
Can be used while closed and can be slid up for when keyboard is needed
>>
>>54933964
So you would rather have a device that you can get out of your pocket a couple seconds quicker instead of one that protects the screen more and offers more real estate for the screen and/or input devices?
>>
>>54934158
>one that protects the screen more
My Vaio UX has made it 10 years without issue
>offers more real estate
I have absolutely no issues with the Vaio's 4.5" screen.
>input devices
Don't see why I'd need anything more than the analog nub, touchscreen, and keyboard

So basically yes, I would rather have a modern Vaio UX than a shitty miniature netbook
>>
>>54931952
Same, I would be all over the Pyra if it didn't look like some shitty knockoff of a Nintendo handheld.

Why can't some shitty crowdfunding campaign come out with a nice apocalypse-ready device that doesn't waste space on shitty gamertard controls?
>>
>>54931944
But anon,

GPD win is x86
>>
>>54933464
Could you get a pocketCHIP then shove the USBArmory inside the spare room in the case? I'm not sure how the USBArmory works, it's meant to be interfaced with from a host computer over usb, right? The PocketCHIP has a Debian ARM environment on it with working USB.
>>
File: pcoverview.jpg (129 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
pcoverview.jpg
129 KB, 1200x675
Actually speaking of the PocketCHIP, is there anything similar to it in shape or price point that's out there?

If there was something like this but capable of running xwindow/a desktop environment that'd be neato
>>
File: Pocket Chip X86.png (82 KB, 2002x1416) Image search: [Google]
Pocket Chip X86.png
82 KB, 2002x1416
>>54934901
>>54931889
Call me when the GPD is using a Zen APU

Also some Pocket Chip X86 info
>>
>>54935759
It's pretty damned fully featured for 50 bucks

I'm wondering how good it'll do emulators
>>
>>54935720
Using the USBArmory over USB is the recommended way of using it, yes. But I want to connect it directly with the keyboard and screen and use it as a dedicated mini computer. There could be a way to hook up the screen to the USBarmorys GPIO pins but it'd probably be even worse than using a USB>HDMI adapter. And who knows about the keyboard, I can't figure out if it uses a custom driver or is over a USB bus on the pins it connects to the CHIP with.
>>
>>54932768
any word on when they're shipping? i know it's early in the month but even my email order confirmation just says "june"
>>
>>54935893
this thread is a cringefest but it should run emulators just fine
"if it works on rpi it should work on chip"

https://bbs.nextthing.co/t/hows-gaming-on-pocketc-h-i-p-other-than-pico-8/3857/26
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.