[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Each os has advantages and disadvantages over the others, no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: windows-mac-or-linux.jpg (31 KB, 450x276) Image search: [Google]
windows-mac-or-linux.jpg
31 KB, 450x276
Each os has advantages and disadvantages over the others, no one os is the best fit for everyone, why can't we all just get along? Which os do you use, what do you like/dislike about it what else have you tried?

I'm currently using fedora, with xfce since its lightweight and responsive on my shitty laptop, I've also tried most of the common distros out there and Windows since xp through to 10, skipped 8 though since I found it horrible to work with and not a huge fan of 10 either but have to use it for work
>>
>>54924175
I use all of them.

Windows at home cuz games.
MacOS cuz workstation.
Linux cuz server.
FreeBSD also cuz server.
OpenBSD cuz firewall.
>>
>>54924175
OSX is fine I guess, I just don't get the logic behind the UI and restrictions.
Linux is what I use daily, I like it, but I wish there was a solid CAD software except openscad and BricsCAD.
Windows has NOTHING to offer except for its legacy (a shit ton of software). I used to run it for games, but not anymore - I can now run games on Linux well enough, and I don't even have time for games now.
>>
I'm currently running GNU/Linux on my laptop because I simply prefer it's handling of resources and customization options, at home on my desktop I'm rocking a Windows 10 install because I'm a man child and play vidya. As for MacOS I actually haven't had the chance to use it yet I've been curios to the point of being tempted to make a hackintosh but haven't been fucked to do it yet.
>>
File: topo-topo2.png (161 KB, 769x1351) Image search: [Google]
topo-topo2.png
161 KB, 769x1351
>>
I'm using PC-BaSeD. Feels Goodman!
>>
>>54925254

Linux developers are the ones embarrassed at freedom, they're the ones signing NDAs with hardware vendors.
>>
>>54925254
I hadn't considered forfeiting agency would take the edge off.
Thanks, friend!
>>
>>54924175
GNU/Linux respects your freedom , window$ and OS X don't
>>
Windows is very customizable and is the most supported OS. Also has AD and other management tools. Why does everyone here hate it? All I hear is botnet meme shit that really doesn't matter
>>
>windows
gaming
>hackintosh OSX
office
>linux
virtual machine for web surfing.
>>
On my laptop I use Linux full time (Ubuntu) plus a Windows VM for office and Windows only software i need sometimes.
I use Windows 8.1 on my desktop for muh games and dualboot Ubuntu (same setup as my laptop thanks to rsync)
Shit is comfy man.
>>
Hackintosh at home, Kubuntu at work. I don't hate Windows but I'm glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.
>>
Haswell i5 Desktop: Dual Boot Arch and 7
ThinkPad x220: Dual Boot Arch and 7
Samshit Craptop: Arch
Ancient HP netbook: Arch
Ancient Pentium D is for Dumpster PC: Arch
>>
I use Windows 10 at the moment. I don't hate any system in particular. I have tried hackintosh and linux several times. I spent 2 months on hackintosh recently due to it working fairly well.

In any case,

Windows: Still holds the best driver support, my hardware is being put to use. It also has way too much software. I do play games on a regular basis and use Adobe tools often so it's a no brainer. The issues are privacy (which honestly, I know the situation ain't much better in OSX), the defaults don't look too good and Microsoft patches the system more often than it's needed. Patching the system to use custom themes is an actual chore in comparison to W7.

Linux: It's really quick with some tasks, I actually like using the terminal for a few things and I sometimes find myself wanting to update my shit on Windows with just a command. More software that doesn't ask for a dime and of course it's the king of desktop customization which I do like. However, AMD has still poor support there (with AMDGPU PRO still in a state where my GPU ain't supported yet), I have yet not found a way to enable vsync on Chromium after days and days of trying, there's a severe lack of specific software (I really can't find a favorite music player there and some tools I use like InDesign really need a VM because WINE refuses to work well with it) which include games too, and there's some variety still not working there.

OSX: It's really comfortable. It has many little things already there, looks good by default. Some people dislike them, but I find both iTunes and Safari to be pretty neat, with their own flaws of course. It's definitely the desktop I would choose to "merge" with Windows if it was possible. Issues are really poor driver support, I would say worse than linux. So it's fairly slow and the UI is sluggish. Games without vsync are a nightmare. Productivity tools ain't that better. It's still a "hack" on PCs.
>>
>>54927288
>gaming
>/v
>>
>>54924175
>peeple keep comparing the linux kernel with windows and mac
Wake up newfags.
>>
>>54927643
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
GNU/Linux is such a pain to type. Can't we just contract it to gnullix or something?
>>
>>54928133
They tried with Lignux. It failed hard.
>>
>>54928133
it autocompletes for me.
>>
>>54925254
Linux has nothing to do with Freedom. Linux is about Open Source.
>>
>>54928362
It's licensed under GPL, so yeah it does have to do with freedom of which openness of source is a crucial component.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.