[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 1463171576211.jpg (1018 KB, 2464x1632) Image search: [Google]
1463171576211.jpg
1018 KB, 2464x1632
Previously on: >>54913306

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org/
>>
>>54923253

>Picture of Stallsham

i saw someone on /g/ insist that a handful of honorary doctorates equate to a real one, as if JK Rowling's 7 doctorates should earn her almost as much esteem as a real doctorate. except in this context of course they were arguing that RMS's 12 should have additive credibility somehow.

it was the most obvious case of appeal to bandwagon that one could imagine; it was such clearly horse shit-eating apologist logic; i loved it.

maybe you're special and above all that stupid shit, but the people in these threads defending stallman are 90% retards trying to scrape together credibility and prop up the bogus practice of honorary degrees against all reason.

and, as an aside, this is why it's healthy to take shots at your own camp when idiots show up making specious arguments that agree with you - because if they're allowed to persist then the whole camp gets weaker as they parrot that specious argument. my loyalty is to the free software movement, and i'm happy to cast out RMS if he's stopped being beneficial and has only become a liability to the cause. at this point i would argue that he has done more harm than good for FSF in the past 15 years:
- GPLv3 drove a wedge in the open source community that was neither necessary nor helpful (copyleft in general has alienated industry developers who might have otherwise been allowed to dabble with open source licenses except that now legal is worried about what they call "viral licensing" terms - a bogeyman made real by GPLv3)
- RMS has been a lightning rod of controversy involving outbursts, meltdowns, and inappropriate comments; his public perception has been more negative than positive by a wide margin.
- the general perception about honorary degrees is that they're not real, and even somewhat arrogant people know not to call themselves "doctor" because of it; it's self-aggrandizing on a shaky platform. and yet, RMS happily uses the title like he earned it the way PhDs have earned it.
>>
https://stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
https://stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
>>
>>54923410
BAIT, don't reply
>>
File: 1455502368001.jpg (100 KB, 458x750) Image search: [Google]
1455502368001.jpg
100 KB, 458x750
What's the best DE?

I've used XFCE pretty much from the beginning, and while I quite like it, doesn't seem to be being actively developed (for instance, that bug where the applications menu icon disappears if you click and drag something on the taskbar has been around for years now), and I just have an itch to try something else.
>>
>>54923686
gnome, kde, mate, trinity
>>
>>54923253
Any way to set default permissions for files created in a directory, somehow autodl saves files as -rw-r--r-- and that makes rtorrent unable to open them for download..
>>
>>54923815
What is your umask?
>>
>>54923834
it's 0022
>>
>>54923877
What default mode do you want for files?
>>
>>54923894
770 read write execute for owner and group.
>>
>>54923924
Set your umask tooo 002
>>
>>54923931
changed it to 007 and added

umask = 007 in .bashrc file and logged off, now files and folders are created with 000 ie totally locked down when they should be 770.
>>
>>54923931
No offence, but you could explain him how umask works instead of giving him the correct value.
>>
File: 1449341129757.jpg (49 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
1449341129757.jpg
49 KB, 728x546
>>
>>54924145
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/umask
>>
>>54924145
Whelp, seems it should be umask 007 instead of umask = 007
>>
>>54924151
I didn't eve give the correct value. >>54924145
is right, not me.
>>
Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.
>>
>>54924580
BAIT, don't respond
>>
>>54924647

Stallmanite on suicide watch
>>
I've been using zsh for ages but I recently decided to try bash out. I know people defend it to the death and say it can do all that zsh can. So, how do you improve the completion? I can press tab and see the options but I cannot see a way to keep pressing tab and cycle through the options instead of tediously enough so it knows which one I want.
Also, how do I get options for commands? If I type cp - and then tab, nothing happens.
>>
>>54924580
>Just got basic sound support.
This us why no one in the real world will ever know Hurd even exists.
>>
>>54924731
>I cannot see a way to keep pressing tab and cycle
Of course, because zsh completion is retarded. Bash uses only working completion.
>>
>>54924756
Hell, even if you make a product like an operating system that just doesn't have internet no one will take you seriously.
>>
>>54924757
How is that "working"? It's a whole feature it lacks. Cycling through available options isn't "not working".
>>
>>54923686
the one you like best. for me it's gnome.
>>
>>54924731
>So, how do you improve the completion?
custom scripts, google them.

>I can press tab and see the options but I cannot see a way to keep pressing tab and cycle through the options instead of tediously enough so it knows which one I want.
Yeah, bash will complete only if it there's only one possible completion.

>Also, how do I get options for commands? If I type cp - and then tab, nothing happens.
try a better distro
>>
>>54924786
zsh completion is stupid
>>
>>54924865
>takes one option to be uncommented
>try a better distro
ok anon
>>
>>54924936
Good argument.
>>
How does this look for a VPN killswitch? I didn't make this myself, but I have tested it and it works so far.

Anything missing? Also why 127.0.0.1 and not -i lo?
# Allow all VPN tunneled traffic
iptables -A INPUT -i tap+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o tap+ -j ACCEPT

# Allow all localhost traffic
iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -d 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT

# Allow all traffic coming from the LAN
iptables -A INPUT -i ens33 -s 192.168.0.1/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i ens33 -s 192.168.0.1/24 -j ACCEPT

# Allow all traffic going out to the LAN
iptables -A OUTPUT -o ens33 -d 192.168.0.1/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o ens33 -d 192.168.0.1/24 -j ACCEPT

# Allow all traffic going to VPN. IP has to match with appropriate server.
iptables -A INPUT -s IPoftheVPNserver-j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -d IPoftheVPNserver -j ACCEPT

# Drop everything else.
iptables -A OUTPUT -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP
>>
>>54924968
>iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
Son't do that.
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
>>
>>54924984
Care to explain why? Anything else wrong/missing?
>>
if you want to enable local interface, enable local interface
>>
>>54923815

I wanted to achieve the same, without messing with umasks. setfacl was a solution, but it didn't quite achieve what I wanted.
I wanted every file which gets copied into the directory to automatically have its permissions changed.
>>
>linux has no games
while :; do w=$((COLUMNS-5)); g() { s=""; for i in $(seq 0 $1); do
s="$s "; done; printf "$s"; }; p() { m="$(g $x)"; f="$(g $((w-x)))";
printf "|${m}•${f}|\r"; }; for x in $(seq 0 $w); do p; sleep .01;
done; for x in $(seq $w -1 0); do p; sleep .01; done; done
>>
>>54924731
bind '"ESC[Z": menu-complete

Then you can SHIFT+TAB to cycle through possible completitions. Good to know: man bash
>>
>>54925360
bind '"ESC[Z": menu-complete'

Forgot a '
>>
>>54925337
lyl
>>
>>54925337
pirated
>>
Reposting my question from last thread, hoping for some more insight.

I've installed Debain on my machine, no DE. Wifi drivers work fine, but can't connect to anything around it. I deiced to install Debian again, this time with gnome and this time, it works! What am I missing here when I was just running openbox with network manager I couldn't even connect to my own network.

What am I missing here? I really don't want to use gnome
>>
File: 1436715099863.jpg (34 KB, 403x447) Image search: [Google]
1436715099863.jpg
34 KB, 403x447
>>54925487
Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”
>>
>>54925502
the keyring possibly?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager#No_prompt_for_password_of_secured_Wi-Fi_networks
>>
>>54925502
Sorry, I don't know why it's not working.

Doesn't Debian come with all sorts of desktop environments to choose from?
>>
>>54925502

You didn't specify how you "can't connect". What did you do? How did you try to connect? What did you type or click? What did you install for network management?
>>
>>54925583
Debian does come with a bunch of DEs, but I'll like to use Openbox.

>>54925637
When I try to connect to my own wifi I get this error:

nmcli d wifi connect (Name of SSID) password (Password)

Error: No Network with SSID (Name of SSID) found

I just used
 apt-get installl network-manager 
to install it
>>
>>54925782

Try using the TUI version of Network Manager.

nmtui
>>
File: crazyface08fear02.png (381 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
crazyface08fear02.png
381 KB, 640x480
>Operation not permitted
Why? How? Just what the hell do I do now? Talk to me Ubuntu, tell me your secrets! Why do you hate me?
>>
>>54925797
nmtui: command not found
>>
>>54925848
s u d o
u
d
o
>>
>>54925880

Which distribution are you on? Maybe it's not packaged with Network Manager, but a separate package.
>>
>>54925880
>>54925920

Also, use the nm-applet which comes with it. It sits in your taskbar and you can easily use it to connect and edit connections.
>>
>>54925797
This is not me (The one that asked the question) >>54925880

But I do have on of my own, should the wlan drivers be installed during Debian installation or after
>>
after I cloned my drive, I encountered some issue I am not able to solve and consider to do a fresh install of Arch instead.

I modified a bunch of things, like the trackpoint speed and sensitivity, some network stuff I don't understand to get internet working, disabling the speaker *beep*, and a bunch of other stuff I forgot.

how to keep track of your changes / dotfiles?

Do you use a git repository in /etc/ , another in ~/.config and so on?
>>
is there an easy way to modify all the tabs of a file for spaces ?
>>
>>54926383
sed
>>
>>54926383
emacs untabify
>>
>>54926383
expand -t 4 input >output
>>
>>54923686
fluxbox is compfy
>>
>>54926383
For what purpose?
>>
>>
File: fucklinux.png (50 KB, 987x126) Image search: [Google]
fucklinux.png
50 KB, 987x126
>>
File: 1459590501771.png (16 KB, 218x225) Image search: [Google]
1459590501771.png
16 KB, 218x225
>>54925283
Ok, i changed the umask but it still saved em with wrong permission after logout/in, now the screen sessions for rtorrent and autodlirssi are restared so im hoping that it will work. Else i will have to look up setfacl.
>>
>>54926641
>I'm to retarded to ride a bike
>Fuck bikes!!!
>>
>>54926600
some web dev made with notepad++ on windows. each tabulation was 8 spaces. It was impossible to read.
>>54926503
worked very well.
>>
>>54925283
I also think adding umask 007 at the top of the init script which autostart autodl and rtorrent will make them use umask 007, while the user and other services will use something else.
>>
>>54926738
You can force the tab width with every editor.

But your're right, tabs are evil.
>>
>>54926641
>>54926605
why are you posting cringe material?
>>
File: 1462798154107.gif (1 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1462798154107.gif
1 MB, 400x300
has anyone done music recording on GNU/Linux? It looks like Audacity, KXStudio and Ardour are the three big options from my research. Any opinions to share on these?

I'm still reading up trying to figure out what this JACK and ALSA stuff is all about but I'm kind of retarded.
>>
>>54926804
Why do you think everything is cringe?
Is your vocabulary that diminished?
>>
>>54926711
well this shit didint work either, still cant get autodl to use the correct umask.
>>
>>54926848
>I'm still reading up trying to figure out what this JACK and ALSA stuff is all about but I'm kind of retarded.
alsa is the hardware backend that communicates with the hardware.
Jack/pulseaudio are servers that work on top of alsa and handle more advanced features that alsa doesn't by itself
>>
>>54926738
>I'm too stupid to change my own editor settings
>Let me go ahead and use a script to modify an entire code base, I sure feel competent enough to do this and not break something

If you're gonna force an indentation method, the only sane option is smart tabs.
>>
File: OLWCKXI.png (64 KB, 624x628) Image search: [Google]
OLWCKXI.png
64 KB, 624x628
>>54926641
>>54926726
>>54926804
>>54926849
>Captcha:8417
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpe.jpg (105 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpe.jpg
105 KB, 1000x1000
How do I get chromium to work properly with gtk? The UI is really unresponsive an sluggish when I don't run it in KDE.
>>
>>54927029
rewrite it to use GTK instead of Qt?
>>
>>54927116
chromium doesn't use qt either you dumbass.
>>
File: 1436228986473.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1436228986473.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
Hey Linux friends I came to ask a question. I recently managed to acquire a dell inspiron mini 1012 for free. I want to try using a Linux distro on it, since I haven't really tried one before. The issue is that there is a ton of them and I don't really know what to pick. I stumbled upon a forum called My Dell Mini that talks about this and several different recommendations, but, a lot of the posts talking about it are kind of out of date. The latest are from the beginning of this year though and there's a ton on his list and doesn't really give a clear answer.

The Dell Inspiron Mini I'm planning to use has an Intel Atom at 1.6ghz with a gig of ram in it. I can upgrade to two gigs, and I probably will in the near future. I was just curious what do you guys think would be the best for it? I plan on mostly using it to play low end games (with linux releases), retroarch, and surfing the web on it. Maybe use it as a controller for a media center if possible. Doesn't have to be one distro exactly either. I'll most likely try a few regardless, but, I'd like an idea is all. Thanks in advance friends.
>>
>>54924170
oh fug
>>
How difficult would it be to connect my laptop to my CRT television so I can get genuine CRT quality while doing stuff from my laptop? Watching pre-00s anime and /vr/ games is better on a CRT than a modern television.
>>
#!/bin/bash

NAME="-name win7"

CPU="-cpu host"
SMP="-smp sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1"

MEM="-m 8192M"

DRIVE="-drive file=win7.raw,format=raw"
CDROM="-cdrom en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso"
BOOT="-boot order=d"

DISPLAY="-vga std"

qemu-system-x86_64 \
-nodefaults \
-nodefconfig \
-enable-kvm \
$NAME \
$CPU \
$SMP \
$DRIVE \
$CDROM \
$BOOT \
$DISPLAY

Why does it say 'Could not initialize SDL(No available video device) - exiting' when I run this shell script, but not when I run qemu-system-x86-64 from the command line with the same options?
>>
>>54927444
Do you have a cable?
Does it fit on each side?
>>
>>54927270

I have a shelf full of mini 910's

Lubuntu 14.04 LTS on all of them. You can try 16.04 if you like, but it's usually best to wait for the first point release (in a few months)
>>
How to compile on tmpfs?
>>
>>54927767
I'll take a look into it friend. Thank you for the response, to be honest I actually had that open and was thinking of using it since I saw it recommended a lot when I did some more digging.

Does the wireless card work natively with it though, that was the one thing I read was an issue a lot with some distributions, if not, it should be fairly easy to enable it right?
>>
>>54927771
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_TMPDIR_on_tmpfs
this could help
>>
>>54927888

Many thanks, anon!
>>
>>54927741
I have an old TV that you can only connect to it with an F connector. How would I be able to get what's on my computer screen onto the TV?
>>
how do I add the catalyst unofficial repo to arch linux
>>
>>54928049
which GPU? you probably don't need it.
>>
>>54928104
I dont want to live with this tearing anymore
R7 260X

or instead of ati should I have amdgpu
>>
>>54928049
There is not repo to add.Check the main ones, then if it isnt there check aur
>>
>>54928183
>Warning: If you install the Catalyst package from the AUR, you will have to rebuild Catalyst every time the kernel is updated. Otherwise X will fail to start.
I think I will forget this
>>
I want to learn Linux by dual booting Ubuntu

However what are the chances my HDD will get fucked? Can I mess something up during the process that could potentially harm my original windows instalation?
>>
>>54928200
How is that a problem? Every driver is like this.
>>
>>54928244
>proprietaryfags actually believe this
>>
>>54923253
His eyes have the same color as his beard.
>>
>>54928014
>only an F connector
well you can throw "genuine CRT quality" out the window
>>
>>54928320
Explain. It's an old TV from 1994. Only way to play my NES is to use the RF adapter, I have to use a special adapter for my N64.
>>
>>54928049
bump
>>
>>54928411
RF is far from the best signal type you can use on an SDTV, in fact, it's the worst

RGB/YPbPr > S-Video > Composite > RF
>>
>>54928515
Which one would be the easiest way to connect my laptop to a CRT? Lets say I was playing an emulator, would there be a difference between RF vs compositive vs whatever?
>>
File: 1464835194665.png (396 KB, 380x1139) Image search: [Google]
1464835194665.png
396 KB, 380x1139
>>54924580
>paranoid
>>
>>54928049
Bump
>>
File: a.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>54928576
RGB is the easiest if it's available, as it can be directly wired up to a VGA connector
other types require an active converter of some kind

i actually do this myself, i have a TV with a SCART connector on it, which has RGB pins (pic related, this is running in an emulator)

if you haven't seen used RGB on an SDTV before, have you at least been to an arcade? have you ever wondered why arcade displays look so fucking sharp compared to your home console on composite/rf?
RGB is the reason, arcade displays are no different to SDTV's internally, they're just always wired up to use RGB
>>
>>54928796
I thought the CRTs that came with the red, white, and yellow connectors were composite.
>>
Is there any point to using Xfce aside from how lightweight it is?
>>
>>54928850
yes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video
>>
>>54928850
they are,
yellow = composite video
white = left audio
red = right audio

for consumer sets, SCART is how you'd get to RGB (without opening up the TV), SCART isn't very common outside of europe/australia, for some reason
SCART is a big connector with many pins, it also includes the audio

s-video is similar to composite, but it seperates luma and chroma into seperate pins, which reduces cross-talk, which makes the picture better than composite

rf is the worst, it combines both composite video AND audio into one wire
>>
>>54923686

Unity. I'm being serious.
>>
>>54928796
>>54928850
>>54928959
btw, here's my cheapass scart>vga cable
(the usb connector is due to SCART's method of selecting RGB mode, you apply a voltage to certain pin)
>>
>>54928959
Also, not every SCART has RGB, only fully-wired ones. And even then, SCART has composite sync - the monitors actually require separate Hsync and Vsync. I remember building a LM1881 sync-splitting circuit for this exact reason, so I could put a SCART socket on the very nice RGB monitor I had and plug consoles in it.

I really should have kept it.

>>54928796
How did you cope with the wildly differing Hsync and Vsync rates?
>>
>>54928049
Bump
>>
>>54928891
Very customisable
>>
>>54928959
OK, so the best way to connect the laptop would get a SCART connector which will connect to the TV via RGB, correct?
>>
File: a.jpg (115 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
115 KB, 1024x768
>>54929037

>>54929043
>not every SCART has RGB, only fully-wired ones.
that's true
at least on my TV, i have no trouble simply wiring both H and V onto the composite sync pin
some PC graphics cards can even be set to output composite sync directly
worst case you can buy/make a simple circuit to combine the sync signals "properly", and none of this affects the image quality

>How did you cope with the wildly differing Hsync and Vsync rates?
i have my PC output SDTV-compatible, ~15KHz modes, most graphics cards can do it
>>
>>54929122
the best way is to have a TV with an RGB-enabled SCART connector, which is wired up to VGA (or DVI-I/A, which includes VGA pins)
>>
Xfce vs gnome
>>
>>54929215
i like both, now stop
>>
>>54929043
oh yea, should also mention, you wouldn't require anything special for the sync signals when connecting up an RGBHV professional monitor, as VGA is also RGBHV
literally pin-for-pin, just set your PC to output a compatible mode, and you're set
>>
>>54929238
DEs suck. All of them.
>>
>>54929485
sup arch kiddie
>>
>>54929531
Gentoo + AwesomeWM.
>>
>>54929485
I wish'd there was a DE without bloat like it's own terminal, editor, imageviewer and stuff like that. Is there something like this out there?
>>
File: 1421698626089.png (889 KB, 756x715) Image search: [Google]
1421698626089.png
889 KB, 756x715
I want a distro that's not a bleeding-edge, rolling-release outfit because I don't want to be updating and rebooting every few days, and I don't want stuff to break and then have to fix it. Arch, Fedora, and such are right out, way too fast. But I also don't want to be as far behind the curve as CentOS and Debian stable are, because there are a few improvements that have come along since 3.16 that I want. I want something that updates, but with a few months of lag time.

Is there a distro for me, or do I need to make my peace with one of those two ends of the spectrum?
>>
>>54929773
New *buntus LTS sounds perfect for you.
>>
>>54929773
ubuntu LTS, opensuse Leap.

In fedora there's a convenient way to exclude kernel/xorg updates if youre worried about your system going to shit after an update
>>
>>54929811
>>54930089
I'd been avoiding Ubuntu but now that I think of it I'm not sure how much of that is objections to the way the distro handles things and how much is hating it because its popular to hate it. I'll give it a go. thanks anons
>>
How do i theme dwm? i kinda like this WM but getting started feels rough.
>>
>>54930197
You edit the config and recompile.
>>
>>54930197
http://dwm.suckless.org/customisation/
Good luck. dwm is pretty nice!
Don't forget to search the web and shithub for ideas and patches.
>>
>>54930179
people object Ubuntu because Unity and ambiguous ethics.

Just use a different DE.
>>
>>54930333
And the partnership with Microsoft, Amazon spyware, the software center, which marks proprietary software "free", etc etc etc.

Switching the DE doesn't get you away from being a Canonical cuck.
>>
>>54930197
found it, i did it with gtk-chtheme and used arc-dark
>>54930269
thanks, I'll test this out a bit.
>>
Why are people shitting on Manjaro for being incompetent, but recommend the actual enemy Ubuntu?
>>
>>54930437
at least canonical isn't incompetent
>>
>>54930437
>actual enemy
loving every laugh
>>
>>54930383
>ambiguous ethics
Yeah I just mentioned that
>>
>>54930333
>>54930383
>>54930437

Thought:

It's still the lesser evil than using Windows. If it helps people to get into GNU/Linux, hell why not, I'm pretty sure people will switch when they learn more about other distros and different ethics.
>>
Trying to setup a firewall with ufw.
Got all the rule set, but it errors out when trying to start the firewall.
The lines if question are the config that came with ufw.
ERROR: problem running ufw-init

iptables-restore: line 4 failed
iptables-restore: line 77 failed
iptables-restore: line 30 failed
iptables-restore: line 11 failed

Problem loading ipv6 (skipping)
Problem running '/etc/ufw/before.rules'
Problem running '/etc/ufw/after.rules'
Problem running '/etc/ufw/user.rules'
>>
>>54930655
I agree, it's better than people just using Windows. It can fill the role of the lesser evil, means to an end.
Our recommendations should not include Ubuntu, however. It really isn't much more userfriendly than Debian, in my opinion.
>>
>>54930693
>ufw
Security trap.
>>
>>54930717
>friendly
>>
>>54930717
Whats wrong with ufw?
>>
>>54930770
Type as root
iptable -I INPUT 1 -j ACCEPT

ans ask for the status of your firewall to ufw.
>>
>>54930861
Does nothing.
setting a rule to accept all incoming data, is a security breach?
>>
>>54930889
>setting a rule to accept all incoming data, is a security breach?
No. But ufz should warn that the rules are starnge when asking for status.
>>
>>54930933
>do this thing
>didnt do anything
>oh well it should do the thing
>doent know shit about ufw
>>
>>54930972
OK, stay with your stupid "firewall".
>>
>>54930978
Its iptables
Besides saying its "shit and insecure"
Provide ONE fucking instance where it isnt secure.
Its fucking iptables
>>
>>54930978
You know, nigger, ufw is just a frontend for iptables.
>>
>>54931039
>friendly
>>
>>54931065
you're right
s/nigger/faggot/
>>
What the hell?
Kate can't copy text from one open document in one tab to another document in another tab?
>>
Off topic because I'm lazy: What's the css background color selector for FF's highlighted "find" results?
>>
>>54923253

If I have an AMD R9 390 gpu, should I install Ubuntu 16.05 so that I may use the linux amdgpu-pro beta drivers or can I install Arch Linux and still use the amdgpu-pro beta drivers?
>>
>>54931133
why do you want the amdgpu-pro beta drivers?
same gpu here on debian sid.
>>
>>54931198

better performance in games like dota2 that is uses vulkan which the amdgpu-pro beta driver supports.
>>
>>54931198
what's the performance on opensores drivers?

any benchmarks, framerates in vidya, other stuff?
>>
>>54931116
just tried, werks on my machine
>>
So lets say I have a server on my network.

Is there any way to easily send it a command without having to ssh in, just press one button and have it do whatever I want.

IE: Have an executable that sends wget [something] to a specific server with specific credentials.
>>
>>54931267
the normal amdgpu should support it soon as well.
>>
>>54931622

ssh via a script with key authentication and an auth-agent.
>>
>>54931276
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB 
clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 2100 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 2100 MHz 4: 2800 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 1400 MHz
7: 1400 MHz 8: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 driver: N/A Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.2

kernel is 4.5.5
this is a bit lower than on windows. my cpu is likely weaker than yours.
>>
>>54931769
>this is a bit lower than on windows.
It's a reverse engineered driver. What scores do you get on Windows?

>my cpu is likely weaker than yours.
don't be so fucking sure, my cpu is from Q2 2007
>>
>>54931896
not completely, AMD started helping a fair bit with the FOSS drivers over a year ago. on windows it is on ~2100.
>>
>>54931933
Your unigine valley screenshot says "unknown gpu 256MB"

Does it mean that the gallium drivers only detect 256MB of the VRAM?
>>
>>54931975
no, this means that the unigine valley benchmark doesn't work perfectly. it uses more. and even if inxi says it is a 290 it still is a 390.
>>
>>54932006
7% performance loss as a tradeoff for the convenience of using opensource drivers and not having to worry about your system getting fubar after an update sounds like a good deal
>>
>>54932073
This is why i use them.
>>
>>54931933
Why using the word FOSS instead of free? Open source code is already included in free software.
>>
>>54932126
I try to be neutral to avoid confused americans and flamewars. if i speak german i just say frei.
>>
>>54932126
Because open source doesn't imply that the software is free software.
>>
>>54932126
not him but foss is unambigous just like "libre".
niggers like to argue that free regarding software means exclusively "free as in beer"
>>
>>54932166
>>54932173
I see, thanks.
>>
>>54932173
It actually does imply because in practice, there is no software that is considered OSS that is not free. What FOSS does imply that the person is intending to be neutral to software freedom and OSS.
>>
>>54932185
How about free as in market? Does a free market mean that I'm able to pick up one of everything without paying because "free" inherently means "no cash needed".
>>
>>54932235
Actually, only 20% of github projects are licensed, which makes them automatically copyrighted, but open source.
>>
>>54932316
fat finger jesus
>>
File: 1465126566342-2.gif (110 KB, 255x176) Image search: [Google]
1465126566342-2.gif
110 KB, 255x176
Why GNU/Linux does not have something like Project Butter?
>>
>>54932509
what?
>>
>>54932585

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/project-butter-improves-android-4-1s-speed/
>>
I'm trying to get putty to work with key auth but openssh isn't telling me anything in /var/log/auth.log at all.

It just says session closed.

I'm doing the following for putty:

putty.exe -v -i G:\key.ppk [email protected]

It pops the window up and says "Server refused our key" and nothing happens in /var/log/auth.log.

Any ideas?
>>
>>54932509
>>54932613
Android's device lag stems from the fact it's running in a fucking JVM on an arm chip.

If your GNU/Linux installation lags you probably just have shit hardware
>>
are SSL/secure connections handled by root on linux or am I getting my newbie ass DOS'd?
there's nothing running besides browser and clementine.
>>
>>54932699
check for traffic.
there's a lot of chinese/russian botnets sniffing around and trying to break in
>>
File: 1.png (67 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1.png
67 KB, 1366x768
>>54932699
forgot to attach
>>
I like mapping my caps lock to crtl. To do so, I execute the following script in my openbox autostart.

#!/bin/sh

#
# source : http://www.noah.org/wiki/CapsLock_Remap_Howto
#

# This temporarily remaps the CapsLock key to a Control key.
# The keyboard will return to the previous settings after a
# reboot. The Linux console and the X Window system each
# handles keypresses separately, so each must be remapped
# separately. First remap the X keyboard since this does not
# require root access.

# Remap the CapsLock key to a Control key for
# the X Window system.
if type setxkbmap >/dev/null 2>&1; then
setxkbmap -layout us -option ctrl:nocaps 2>/dev/null
fi

# You have to be root to remap the console keyboard.
if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
echo "This script is not running as root so"
echo "the console CapsLock cannot be remapped."
echo "Perhaps you forgot to run this under sudo."
echo "Note that this problem does not effect X."
echo "This only effects the consoles running on"
echo "Alt-f1 through Alt-f6."
exit 2
fi
# Remap the CapsLock key to a Control key for the console.
(dumpkeys | grep keymaps; echo "keycode 58 = Control") | loadkeys

However, I feel that it would be cleaner to do so in the boot process.

I was thinking maybe a systemd service or a udev rule but I have no idea how to make my own. (still an arch babbie and stucked to copy pasting when it comes to "deeper" modifications)
>>
>>54932713
I have nethogs open constantly, anything else I could do? These connections started to appear in the beginning of the week.
I got no firewall setting set besides gufw set to deny incoming connections, so I might be as vulnerable as I can get.
>>
>>54932316
"I can see the source code" does not imply the code is open source. This is the definition of open source.
https://opensource.org/osd
>>
>>54932751
>These connections started to appear in the beginning of the week.
"These connections" mean shit actually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_address_spaces

And the second IP of the connection (the actual outside IP) you can check with "who is" command.

I checked them for you, first one is whatsapp, and two last are Google's IPs
>>
>>54932846
Thanks. I had checked one of them and they seemed to be google as well.

Doesn't nethogs only monitor local connections? I don't have whatsapp open or installed on the machine.
I don't remember having any smartphone connected to the pc either. I experimented with KDEConnect once.

Why would they be root? ._.
>>
>>54932926
WELCOME TO THE BOTNET BABY
>>
>>54932749
Just drop it into your xinitrc
>>
>>54932943
Thanks. Now how do I leave?
>>
how do you make that window with version of linux show up?
>>
>>54933086
lsb_release -a or screenfetch on terminal, I guess? If I got you right.

screenfetch is the one with ASCII (text drawing).
>>
>>54933123
thnx anon
thing wasnt even installed

so whats a good project to learn linux?

I don't even know what to do with it now that I got wireless working, which was a pain in the ass for this 8 year old broadcom wifi compaq laptop.

also any good firefox extensions for 4chan?
or does 4chan x work
>>
I just installed debian on my machine and i want to change my WM to awesome. I already done it on my previous install but it was different (i just had to select awesome instead of openbox on the login screen).
How do I change it now ?
>>
Is there a way to install the KDE5 window border theme on Lubuntu without installing the whole DE?
>>
Is the flt irc worth a visit or is it a ghost town?
>>
>>54933657
>flt
when will ircfags level up to gnu!
>>
>>54933657
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4
>>
I'm not sure if I should try Manjaro or Bodhi. I've only used Mint previously. Anything terrible about either of those or should I just flip a coin?
>>
Is trisquel a good distro for work? (web surfing, videos, productivity ecc)
>>
File: manjaro.png (97 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
97 KB, 1366x768
>>54933684
>>
File: MANJARO3.png (49 KB, 924x670) Image search: [Google]
MANJARO3.png
49 KB, 924x670
>>54933684
>>
File: majaron2.png (45 KB, 1248x584) Image search: [Google]
majaron2.png
45 KB, 1248x584
>>54933684
>>
>>54933684
Manjaro is alright until you finally install Arch
>>
Is #!++ still the best distro for the lazy user that wants a ricey, minimalist desktop? I was planning to ditch Remix OS on my Chromebook for something more robust, but I hate how ugly most distros are out of the box.
>>
>>54933824
>Remix OS
>Chromebook
>#!++
living the meme, anon
>>
>>54933785
>>54933753
>>54933753
>look mom
>>
>>54933824
I thought buMsenlabs is the actual sequel to #!?
>>
>>54933861
Truth hurts donut?
>>
>>54933889
He was talking about the distro, not the code failure of some forum webdev.
>>
>>54933889
not him but don't you think you have been trying a little too hard?
>>
>>54933818
Do you mean "Manjaro is alright, but when you finally install Arch you will truly reach enlightenment," or do you mean, "Manjaro is alright, but it will lead you down a dark path, you'll eventually install Arch, and then you'll be a faggot with a shit OS"?
>>
>>54933926
kek
>>
>>54933911
>>54933922
So they failed to renew their cert TWO YEARS in a row?
How can yoyu possible trust them to manage anything else? They tell you to reset your clock, how asinine of a solution is that?

The fact you both get so burthurt about it is fucking hysterical.
>>
>>54933926
How did I trigger your autism so easily?
>>
>>54933881
Hadn't even heard of this. Noice.
>>
>>54933943
>they
So when the webdev of linuxfoundation forgets to update the certs, you drop the kernel? I see.
>>
>>54933943
I use arch myself (>>54933922)
>>
>>54933948
No one should have to manually partition their hard drives and install their own boot loader. What a shit OS. Debian is light years ahead.
>>
>>54934007
Partitioning is not hard and there is an installer if you are this much afraid
>>
>>54933976
They have yet to do that ever :^)
I dont have to change my local time, just for one website.Changing your time fucks up logs and other important services.How is it going to feel going back 12 hours and then boucning back ahead 12 hours.
Enjoy!
>>
>It's the Arch vs Debian time of the day
I'll go watching a movie.
>>
>>54933785
>>54933766
>>54933753
The fuck does a Linux distro website need SSL for?
>>
>his browser actually checks certificates
>>
>>54934060
I'd just like to interject for a moment.
>>
>>54934038
This buttblusted SJW >>54933926 felt insecure for some reason
>>
>>54934038
>>54934080
If you put Linus in charge of 100 Arch users, and Stallman in charge of 100 Debian users, and gave all of them billy clubs, which side would win?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-27-19h31m50s68.png (201 KB, 592x320) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-27-19h31m50s68.png
201 KB, 592x320
Two things, lads:

Looking for a program that let's you graphically view your HD (what's on it, how much space is taken).

Also looking for something that shows temps, components names/specs.

Thank you.
>>
>>54934092
It was an honest question, I just can't help myself from framing everything as a meme after years of /sp/.
>>
>>54924170
that's backward, 7 is rwx
>>
>>54934117
Your answer is mental hospital
>>
>>54924170
>>54934118
Christ. Let's hope no one attempts chmod -R 000 on anything important.
>>
>>54934143
chmod -R 000 . && chattr +i .
>>
>>54934143
I remember there was a guy who fucked up with chmod hard, not only it changed permissions on all files in the current folder, but also these
so chmod was going up and up and up to / and changed the whole systems permissions.
>>
>>54934210
wildcards?
>>
Is there a way to tell ALSA what your speaker setup is?
I have 2 speakers plugged into my laptop through a headphone jack and the audio gets really quiet sometimes. It almost sounds like it's trying to use more than 2 speakers for directional audio but they aren't there or something.
>>
>>54925033
No need to manually add 127.0.0.1 to the iptables as it's already assigned to lo, instead you're adding it to the list. -s only lists the rules in that selected table, -i inserts them to the table.
>>
>>54934425
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Configuration
>>
telnet nyancat.dakko.us
>>
>>54931622
Literally this >>54931647
>>
What log daemon do you use? I want to start avoiding systemd utilities to get ready for the switch to a better distro.
>>
>>54934571
syslog part of every distro
>>
>>54934107
>KDirStat or Filelight
>Assuming you mean a 'dashboard' sort of deal, check out Conky
>>
File: 1464131977029.jpg (3 MB, 2820x1778) Image search: [Google]
1464131977029.jpg
3 MB, 2820x1778
/1
>>
File: 1464134303658.png (19 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464134303658.png
19 KB, 1920x1080
/2
>>
>>54934107
>graphical
ncdu
This is ncurses but will get the job done
>>
File: 1464133204297.jpg (125 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464133204297.jpg
125 KB, 1920x1080
/3

last pape
>>
>>54934673
>>54934689
>>>/wg/6576665
>>
>>54934753
are you retarded?
>>
>>54934785
no u?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.