[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 26 too old to go back to Uni to do a Bachelor of Information
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
Is 26 too old to go back to Uni to do a Bachelor of Information Tech?

I feel like an old man
>>
Alright i'm not even a true /g/od but an /adv/-ish anon

You are never too old to learn since there has been many older people than you that still want a degree and want to learn until they die
So please OP, go back to uni because it's never too late to learn unless you're something like 90 years old and can't even type a word
>>
>>54920116
go for it
>>
40 is too old.
Ageism is a thing in IT and software development.
>>
I was 29 when I went and finished my Bachelor's, it's not too late man. I no longer felt a failure
>>
>>54920252
>>54920280

I have no experience in the field and currently have a decentish paying job though, I will be taking a huge risk in delaying my current career path - is a lack of experience going to be a huge issue for a 29 year old graduate?

(my current field is managing superannuation funds for old people. Pay is decently but I fucking hate finance and have since day 1, always wanted to get out and do something else)
>>
>>54920116
no
there is alot of people 26 above are still in college
>>
>>54920116
It is totally normal if you are a virgin who have no plans to pass on his genes and no plans for the future other than wageslaving at a corporate for a slightly higher wage and less work.
>>
>>54920349
It sounds like he already earngs lots of money though:

>>54920298
>>
>>54920298
>I have no experience in the field
Shit OP, you would have to start all over again
>currently have a decentish paying job though
>my current field is managing superannuation funds for old people. Pay is decently but I fucking hate finance and have since day 1, always wanted to get out and do something else
OP you gotta think harder man
If you really love IT then try to save more money, don't buy shit you don't need and won't use and lastly manage your shit since you will always need finance

tl;dr Think what you really want to do. If you really love IT and hate finance that much then save money and go back to uni again, if not then think what you want to do and you will still have to save money for what you want to do anyway
>>
>>54920367
kinda this

IT degree is a meme. You don't need to have a degree to get an IT job.
>>
>>54920116
I will be 26 this year and I just went back last year. I had to drop out when I was 19 because of financial issues, been working since, but now that I have saved up enough I went back to do what I actually want to.
>>
>>54920116
>>54920298
No. My friend is in your same exact shoes. A lack of experience can be compensated through coursework projects, connections, leadership skills and other soft skills, and knowledge you bring to the table when being interviewed.

I just finished my sophomore year, and despite not having an internship this summer while every one of my friends has one and has surpassed me in almost every way (better major choice, internship position this summer, connections, etc.), I'm trying to study for my Security+ this summer because I swear to fucking GOD if I don't get an internship position as a junior I will flip shit.

Rant aside, OP you should definitely go back to college. No one will give a shit about your age and if anyone does, tell them to fuck off. If anything, people will respect you more because you won't look like a baby-faced sack of shit like me.

Godspeed anon.
>>
File: wew.jpg (97 KB, 850x565) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
97 KB, 850x565
>>54920402
>>
I went to the uni for my masters at 26. No problemo.

I already had a bachelor degree though.
>>
>>54920116
not at all, i'm just about to start my degree at 26

go for it man!
>>
i'm turning 26 this year and i'm going back to uni in octobre. you're not too old
>>
as someone who is 20 years old and has been spending time at uni, meeting older (non autistic) people is amazing, they are so much more developed then those boring kids who just got out of middle school.

nice school + nice course = nice people and nice teachers.

The problem is that 80-95% of everything sucks
>>
Its not too late, just say you had a change of heart in your career path. You dont wanna look like a flake who feels like his back is against a wall and is only getting into tech now because its a last ditch effort so to speak.

All in all though, uni may not be an inherent waste at this point in your life, but getting an IT degree is. Youre better off learning how to use active directory on your own, learn the basics of IP, subnetting and routing/switching. The experience you could gain in 3/4 years is more valuable than a 30 yr old with a semi worthless degree and no experience.

T. A guy in an IT degree. I have a job in IT before i even graduated, got the job bcause my attidude, and who i know, and my internship experience. The degree mattered close to nothing.
>>
I've seen grandpas go back to Uni

You'll be fine
>>
>>54920116
You're young mate. Do whatever you want to do. You'll see when you get to uni that it doesn't matter how old you are.

Doesn't matter what field you're in at your age. I went to uni in my late 20s and I regret a thing.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking you don't have enough knowledge or experience to start studying. They don't expect you to know shit when you begin .
>>
>Is 26 too old

Idiot.
>>
I'm in a sort of similar situation to you.

I'm looking for any good primers, tips or guides on heading towards an IT related career without any background.

I feel at deep waters.
>>
>>54923042
I'm especially interested in knowing more about the specific paths, which are recommended, which aren't, etc.

/g/ tends to have a lot of direct, but clear advice on these things.
>>
>>54922942
>All in all though, uni may not be an inherent waste at this point in your life, but getting an IT degree is. Youre better off learning how to use active directory on your own, learn the basics of IP, subnetting and routing/switching. The experience you could gain in 3/4 years is more valuable than a 30 yr old with a semi worthless degree and no experience.

Wouldn't you be better of doing both?
>>
OP, when I was a fresh grad, we had people in their 30s who were recent grads working alongside.

/g/ believes in you
>>
File: images (5).jpg (16 KB, 302x214) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
16 KB, 302x214
>>54920297
> needing validation from the certificate Jew
>>
>>54920116
idk man, do you think you'll regret not going for it now when you'll be 30?
>>
>>54920116
At that age never go to school full time. Take evening classes or other external form of study and work full-time.
>>
>>54923002

It's a valid question, by the time this person graduates they'll be 30. Age-bias is a real thing.
>>
>>54920367
Tldr is longer than the read. Kek
>>
4 years is 4 years. No matter what you do. You will be 30 by the end of it. Be it at uni or sucking cock. Why not suck cock and not feel like a failure?
>>
>>54920116
Get some certs instead.
Degrees are not needed in IT. Will it help? Probably.
But you dont need to waste 3/4 years at this point to find out.
>>
>>54920116
<30 is fine for tech

But you've already reached your half life in relevancy in your career. Agism is more of a thing in the tech world than almost any other career path. So you should understand that.
>>
>>54920437
Christ. What's the context for that pic? 3rd time I've seen it. Was this at a zoo?
>>
>>54920116
Asking myself this question and i'm 23 y.o
You probably should go for it, pursue your professional goals, and not live the (short) rest of your life full of regrets.
>>
File: shirt_frontCU.jpg (178 KB, 561x600) Image search: [Google]
shirt_frontCU.jpg
178 KB, 561x600
>26
>wanting to get a degree in IT
>making the mistake people here did at 18, just a decade later instead

If you're that old and don't realize you need to go study a real degree...
>>
I graduated in 2014 and spent 18-19 being neet. Went to college finally the month after turning 20, I thought I'd be the oldest person in my classes. Turns out most people were older than me actually, legit adults. There's a few 30+ people in my classes and I've even seen a 60 year old or something. I thought it was too late but only a few people are younger than me. Like 2-4 in all of my classes. It's a CC though.
>>
I'm 48 and thinking of getting a masters in CS in the next few years. Doowutchalike.
>>
As long as you don't have kids or are not 40+ then you're fine.
>>
>>54920116
It's not too late to go back to school, but you don't need an IT degree to work in IT. Also, you probably don't want to work in IT. Don't spend your days mapping drives and setting up printers for the people doing real work. If you go back to school, go back for Electrical Engineering. Join the true master race.
>>
>>5492011
In 4 years you'll be 30 anyway. Do it bro.
>>
I had a 50 year old man in one of my uni classes and he integrated with the rest of the classmates just fine
>>
>>54920252
>>54920294
As a 47 IT worker, confirmed. Ageism is rampant anywhere you have tech as line-of-business. If you want better, more stable results, find something that pays a little less and isn't in tech. It's boring-safe, but

>have been employed by same employer for 16 years, since 1999
>have reasonable salary, more than 60k
>do a little bit of everything instead of just one thing, networking, security, programming, etc.
>job stable, never a threat of layoff
>workflow can be inconsistent but when we say "it will be 2 weeks" we deliver on-time better than 90% of the time, because we know how long it will really take and mgmt listens
>stable working hours, no 12 hour days all the fucking time
>get to enjoy my weekends

That being said, having the degree won't hurt, but if you go back, be very careful and picky about how you pay. Don't do the stupid shit of signing your life away on student loans, try to figure out a way to get the debt as close to zero as possible. Preferably no debt at all.
>>
File: pxRl5le.jpg (378 KB, 1234x675) Image search: [Google]
pxRl5le.jpg
378 KB, 1234x675
>>54920298
>>54920298

relevant
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.