[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gpu passthrough. what are the options an individual has when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: get_linux.png (76 KB, 529x550) Image search: [Google]
get_linux.png
76 KB, 529x550
gpu passthrough.

what are the options an individual has when it comes to gpu passthrough for windows virtualisation? obviously im considering it for games. i know my cpu can handle virtualisation but i have read in some places that you need two gpu and in others that you only need one? is anyone here running this kind of setup?

i would consider using wine but every test on winedb has come out as garbage for the game i play the most..
>>
>>54904056
You do need two display adapters; one to drive your Linux display, and one to pass through to your virtualized Windows display. However, most modern CPUs have integrated graphics processors (which most people choose to use as their Linux display adapter). This is likely why some sources say you only need one graphics card.
>>
Yes you need 2 GPUs.
One for the passthrough Windows machine and one for your host.
>>
>>54904223
so if i run 4 monitors would i be able to have three running off the cpu on linux and 1 off the gpu in windows or would only having one port on the motherboard fuck me?
>>
>>54904550
I think you'd probably be fucked since you only have one port on the mobo. I'm fairly sure you can't just duplicate (or triplicate, in your case) the output over just one physical connection (at least, you can't make it into multiple distinct outputs).

If you're going to use your CPU's integrated GPU to drive your display anyways, though, you might consider just getting a shitty sub-$50 GPU just for driving your Linux displays.
>>
My big question is: do you necesarily need 2 monitors? I've seen people just trying this and they use 2 of them.
I've also been thinking about trying it myself but my cpu is 3770k and the k version doesn't seem to allow hardware acceleration so not now
>>
>>54904056
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.