[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Portable mini computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Zotac-Mini-Desktop.jpg (72 KB, 420x265) Image search: [Google]
Zotac-Mini-Desktop.jpg
72 KB, 420x265
Fad or Fab?
>>
File: why.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
1 MB, 320x213
But laptops are portable.......so what's the point of this shit?
>>
>>54902732
Its so small, it fits in your asshole :*)
>>
>>54902749
They're smaller than laptops
>>
I use one as a Plex home server. It's my digital hub, got all my movies and music on it. It's tiny and unobtrusive and uses hardly any electricity so I can keep it powered on all the time
>>
>>54902732
Wouldn't use it as my main desktop or use it as a mobile computer because laptops. But I would connect it to the tv in living room and leave it there since its small and probably noiseless.
>>
Somewhat pointless when computer sticks exist.
>>
>>54902870
>all my movies and music

So, like, 2 HD seasons of the office and all of kanyes tracks?
>>
>>54902732
For normal users they are a stupid fad.

If portability is a must, 12 inch laptop will serve you better and be multi purpose, usable also while traveling on battery, has input devices etc.

If superportability is crucial then A compute stick or smartphone will work too.

Pic relate is used usually for some advertising TVs and such, looping videos.
>>
Good for projects
>>
>>54903412
>$500 box
>Used for looping videos
Why
>>
>>54902749
To have no bullshit keyboard and display attached to it.
>>
>>54902749
Why the fuck should I pay for a device that has a screen I'm not going to use
>>
>>54903677
The place I work at has 900€ thinkcenters looping videos in the lounge so...
>>
>>54903421
This/10.
This, old netbooks, orange Pi's, they've built my world.
>>
met a dude that uses one of those instead of a laptop. he carries it around and plugs it in displays where there's one available
>>
>>54902749
Cheaper in price for performance.
>>
I use a £40 Windows tablet with the screen turned off for my home media streaming. A box would be nice for the ports etc but I don't want to pay the prices I've seen.
>>
>>54903421
>>54905495
what kind of projects do you use them for?
>>
File: 6714071464158268660.jpg (2 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
6714071464158268660.jpg
2 MB, 4096x3072
>>54906037
Just shit like this:
https://hackaday.io/project/11877-somatic-private-server
Also robots
>>
>>54902732
A maxxed out SFF can be a daily driver. If you don't need a dGPU, then such a PC is more than enough for most tasks.

Most people don't do heavy video processing, gaming on high resolutions and graphics settings etc etc. So for what most people do on a PC, these are more than enough, if you stick a good SSD in them, max RAM and have a decent CPU in it, you won't need a new PC for a few years. And it doesn't need any maintenance, it's also relatively portable. All you need is to connect it to a big screen and have a keyboard and mouse for it. Which is what most people have anyway in their homes or offices.
>>
>>54902732
They're a neat concept but so fucking overpriced it's not even funny.
>>
>>54906210
I bought a refurb lenovo slim form factor PC for my mom off eBay for $100, and it came with a 120 GB SSD. It has an i3-2130 and 4 GB RAM. Windows 7 pro COA sticker, so upgrading to 10 Pro was a breeze.

Try coming anywhere close to that price with a "bare bones" that costs twice as much and has no RAM, HDD, OS, etc.
>>
>>54906085
That's actually really fucking cool
>>
>>54906420
Wah, I'm happy to hear that, thanks!
>>
>>54906085
wow, that's actually impresive dude, wanna try it.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.