[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ternary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 3.png (314 KB, 282x282) Image search: [Google]
3.png
314 KB, 282x282
I posted this on /sci/ a week ago, sadly it didn't get many replies

from en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix_economy

If both b and N are positive integers, then the radix economy E(b,N) is equal to the number of digits needed to express the number N in base b.

E(b,N)≈b logb(N)=bln(N)/ln(b)

Then for a constant N, E(b,N) will have a minimum at e. Meaning e is therefore the base with the lowest average radix economy.

And since 2 / ln(2) ≈ 2.89 and 3 / ln(3) ≈ 2.73, it follows that 3 is the integer base with the lowest average radix economy.

I am convinced that three-valued logic might hold the key to some fundamental computing problems, (like having to round periodic decimals in binary)

I can imagine new types of transistors like PETs(piezoelectric) or Optical Transistors.

Why should ternary not be the design of all our hard- and software?
>>
>>54892186
Because on/off or up/down or north/south or what have you is way simpler to implement than on/off/? up/down/neither and north/south/neither.

A transistor can be on or off. Can it be both?
>>
>>54892186
I feel your pain.
/sci/ looks down on us and /g/ is consumers only. There really is no place for cs-masterrace around here.
>>
>>54892186
/g/ is consumer tech and trolls. They won't know anything about this
>>
>>54892314
you need 2 transistors for cmos anyways. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to add a third and make some stable ternary.
>>
>>54892186
>>54892314
>A transistor can be on or off. Can it be both?

quantum computing probably uses this
>>
>>54892363
Quantum computing utilizes spin, which can be either up or down. Some particles have half-spin but those aren't really usable for this. Quantum computers also utilize superposition. They do not utilize ternary.

>>54892347
Do you realize how inefficient that would start to get
>>
>>54892186
ternary is widely used in networking. e.g. : 100BASE-T, isdn,
>>
File: RingResonator_7.gif (2 MB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
RingResonator_7.gif
2 MB, 1000x700
>>54892314
that is why I mentioned PETs and Optical Transistors, you are correct you'd need an array of MOSFETs to build ternary but you're wrong if you think there don't exist single transistors that can.
>>
>>54892403
>inefficient
no. please explain.
As I see it: 2 transistors are needed for binary, 3 are needed for ternary.
Where is the inefficiency in that?
>>
>>54892415
Somehow I didn't see those in your post. Apologies.

>>54892422
I meant more in creating chips for that. You will end up needing a lot more transistors than currently and companies aren't going to like that
>>
>>54892472
maybe because I said "I can imagine.. ", orthough there are attempts to build optical transistors, I'm not sure a highspeed optical circuit has ever been build but I'm pretty sure it will be in the near future.
>>
>>54892472
yes, you need 50% more chips. As OP pointed out, ternary has more information per transistor then binary (assuming 3 transistors are enough).
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.