[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Certifications and Career General/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0999.jpg (881 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0999.jpg
881 KB, 1536x2048
/Certifications and Career General/
Study Group Edition:

Join study group at https://rabb.it/fritoStudy

Currently streaming CCNP R&S videos

We have access to INE, CBTNuggets, Cisco Press and Udemy networking courses.
>>
>>54883593
go fuck yourself

>>>/biz/
>>
>>54883623
but i'm already on the right board, silly goose :)

ty for the bump
>>
who /ccna/ here
>>
File: 1460844548492.jpg (328 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1460844548492.jpg
328 KB, 1000x1333
>>54883593
Bump dude free shit
>>
>>54883641
/g/ is only for desktop threads and smartphone homescreen threads GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54883623
why would this belong on /biz/ and not here you cock sucking faggot?
>>
>>54883717
oh and don't forget windows 10 shilling!! :)

>>54883675
me, feels good man.
>>
>>54883675
I should be studying for my R&S one right now (in fact I should have got it like a year ago), but I've been procastinating for so long I dont even remember half of the stuff. And here I am now, 20 years old already, NEET, no certs or anything and only HS education.

This is kind of a ramble but I've been thinking about it lately, I live in Spain and the job market is pretty shit, how is it in the US for low end jobs? would I be able to get some minimum wage job there as anything? or any shit job if I get my CCNA?

I'm thinking about just moving in and pursuing the 'murican dream, getting a shit job and apartment and just working up from there since I'm just wasting my life here atm, but the stuff that worries me is how expensive would further education be in America and if I would be able to afford it, to get a decent job later in life. Here in Spain I can get some education, certs, etc for free paid by the government but I cant get a fucking job so... Any american (or not) could give me some advice here? Is this shit sensible?

Sorry if I didnt make much sense, it's very late and I have insomnia.
>>
>>54883850
0 experience and CCNA living in a networking hotspot in USA, making 60k USD /year base salary

I lied a little bit and said I had 1 year experience

i'm a Tier 2 Network Technician, if that means anything to you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (73 KB, 477x459) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
73 KB, 477x459
>>54883850
As an estadounidense who has visited Spain, I think you should stay there. It's better in many ways.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>mfw subnetting

I know it's not hard, I just get numbers mixed up really easily and forget concepts right after learning them. Everything else is A1, but anything involving a lot of numbers and conversion fucks me over.
>>
>>54883889

Research Triangle?
>>
>>54883850
America is a brutal country for starting off in. We don't really have a welfare/assistance system beyond food stamps and maybe section 8(the government pays like 75% of your rent), which takes many years to get. Unless you're profoundly disabled, as in missing both legs or mentally retarded, the government will not help you with anything.

If you're earning minimum wage or a dollar or two more, you'll have to work like a slave and live in not so nice areas with a few roommates.
>>
Am I making a mistake quitting IT for code monkeying?
>>
>>54883889
What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK.

And sorry but what does Tier 2 NT mean? It's related to college education or something?

60k/year with only a fucking CCNA? Do you have a degree in some engineering I guess also?

Finally what's the cost of living there? I would literally kill for a 12k eur/year salary, damn I'd be happy with 7k...

>>54883940
>3.6 times more likely to be unemployed
that's it, what else matters if you can't earn money. It's also extremely depressing when you go find a job and send CVs everywhere and none of the places even calls you back.

The only really nice thing from that list that doesnt really get outbalanced by the positives is living longer, but that's due to healthy lifestyle that could be maintained in america also if someone wants.
>>
>>54884044
I think the worst part of living in the U.S. is needing to drive everywhere.
>>
>>54883850
>>54884056
What city do you live in now? How are you supported currently?
>>
>>54884056
Social skills and pretending to be a really upbeat and confident guy in interviews is the most important part of finding a job. Nobody wants to hire a meek autist who has panic attacks in social situations. Get a propanolol prescription; it stops you from physically showing symptoms of anxiety like shaking or feeling jittery but it doesn't reduce your anxiety mentally. It's used in public speaking a lot and musicians also use it all the time.
>>
Ok OP I have a question, I'm in the Tampa Bay Area and I have An associates with a year of IT Help Desk experience. I have no cirtifications but I did CompTIA A+ and Access 2013 coursework in college. I was going to get my CCENT as my first cert but I'm not sure which one will yield better returns (more money and more positions)
>>
>>54884056
>sorry but what does Tier 2 NT mean?
I'm the guy who solves issues the first (tier 1) technicians can't solve. generally more complex issues dealing with router/switch configs.

I never went to college, no degree. yea only CCNA but i think I sold myself on my drive and willingness to learn. CCNA was a huge huge help though, not only for the cert but for everything I learned during my studying.

i pay $500 / month rent

>>54884052
if you really love being a code monkey, then do it. if you are in it for the money you will make more in IT if you put the same amount of work into IT
>>
>>54884056
>I would literally kill for a 12k eur/year salary, damn I'd be happy with 7k...
12,000 Euros is like $13,500 USD. Less than full-time minimum wage in the US. So you can get a god pretty much anywhere that makes more than that. Making $60,000 without a degree is doable, but it depends where you live, how skilled you are, and how lucky you get. Nobody is paying Pajeet or any other H-1B visa candidate that. Good luck emigrating to the US without an actual skill set or marrying a US citizen.

You're better off just moving somewhere else in Europe. From what I understand, Spain is part of that Schengen Agreement thing so you can just up and move somewhere less shit. And it would be a hell of a lot less hassle than trying to get into the US.
>>
>>54884028
no sir
>>
>>54884056
Man, I was making 60k/year doing desktop support/jr sys admin work.
>>
>>54884044
But can I get a job with which I can pay my rent and food?
I dont care about sharing an apartment with roommates really (I think at least...).

If I can earn money I don't think I'd really need welfare except for the education... but I have a like 20k saved for that though. I'm also pretty fucking healthy, I never need to go the doctor, and if I was unlucky and I needed some serious expensive medical care I guess I could always go back to Spain to have it treated free.

>>54884105
I live in Madrid, and I'm supported by parents (Mother really, dont know my dad) which is actually supported by my grandad savings, and we have been living this way for the past like 10 years but money is obviously running out.

>>54884111
I see, thanks a lot man, I'm not a turboautist anymore (I think) and I'm improving in social skills but I'll research on propanolol since it sounds nice. The problem is that I havent even gotten into a single interview, no one has called, this is shit. I'm also relatively tall for my country, good looking, nice face, not fat etc, I should be able to get a fucking job in a bar at least but they all request fucking 3 years experience, kill me.

>>54884127
Thanks for the info man. Also 500 month for the rent sounds cheap as fuck especially with that salary, holy hell... Here I could make like 500~1000/month with a shit job or 800~1300 with a decent one (networking and stuff) and rent would be like 600 a month probably.

I think if I bought some adderal or fixed my study habits I could easily learn and get a couple of CCNAs or Huawei certs, since I kind of find it fun and easy to learn, but I'm just a lazy fuck I guess.

>>54884205
Yeah I can move anywhere in Europe, maybe it's a better option at least until I get more education... I'll look into it. If I get a couple CCNAs would I be able to get a visa? or a CCNP/Microsoft certs whatever? I heard they make it easier since they're american companies but it kinda sounds like bullshit

Thanks guys
>>
>>54883998
subnetting is easy, faggot.. learn how to fucking number
>>
>>54883593
wtf is this shit pic, use your hardware or fucking sell it. nigger
>>
>>54884044
Not if you don't try to live in a city full of 8 million people like a fucking retard. The farther away from cities, the farther a dollar goes. I was living in North Carolina in luxury apartments on minimum wage driving an LX470.
>>
>>54884347
I am using it, you fucking mong.
>>
>>54884347
Generally when you see things like that it's a home lab used for education. Why would he sell it? It's not like a 2950 is worth shit.
>>
currently enrolling at a tech school for medical sonography. Seems like a good gig, but my fall back is probably IT.

would it behoove me to get an associates or study independently and get certs? my family will likely pay my tuition.

is A+ and its ilk a meme? I'm not super familiar with other certs, and I only have very basic knowledge of software so far.
>>
>>54884445
A+, Network+, and Security+ are so stupidly easy you might as well get them. All you need to do is read one book for each.
>>
>>54884496
A+ is useless. Don't bother with it.
>>
>>54884510
Don't employers use it as an automatic filter for the total shitters?
>>
>>54884445
skip the A+ unless you are totally computer illiterate and you want a job with geek squad. I would also skip any degree for IT, certs are much more real-world and hold more weight to many employers.

funny you mention medical sonography. My mother does that and she really enjoys it. not much room for moving up though from that career, she's been making relatively the same amount of money for the past 20 years.

>>54884496
this is exactly why I think you shouldn't get them. When they are so easy they hold almost no value. go for the CCNA as a good starting point if you are into networking.
>>
>>54884531
How hard is the CCNA to get?
>>
>>54884531
good to know. I'm not that worried about money as long as I am making a living wage. poverty will do that to you, and from what I've read sonographers do okay, even if they don't move up very much.

as for the degree vs certs, the program I'm looking at involves internships and certifications along with the degree, which is what attracted me to the school.

I know basically fuck all at this time, which is why I have some reservations about pursuing certifications without some direction in my studies. I feel like a degree can't hurt if I'm not paying for it anyway, although it is 2 years I could be working.
>>
>>54884612
>>54884612
>although it is 2 years I could be working.
Aren't degrees 4~6 years?
>>
>>54884121
bump question
>>
>>54884600
250 hours of studying from 0 experience sounds about right. and that means 250 hours of pure studying not 250 hours of having the book open and watching tv

>>54884612
I have found, at least in IT, 2 years of work experience is preferred to a degree even in IT. I would also look at what certs they are offering. If it's an array of compTIA certs I would strongly recommend not taking the program. Those types of certs are broad and don't really make you "good" at anything, but rather "meh" and everything. You really want to specialize your skillset so I would recommend something more specific. For example if you wanted to go into Security / pen testing maybe look into the CEH or CISSP.

>>54884641
CCENT is great, since it's half the CCNA material. I would just go straight for the CCENT and then CCNA and skip any CompTIA junk since it holds little value and won't teach you nearly as much.
>>
>>54884627
it's just an associates degree
>>
>>54884531
>skip the A+ unless you are totally computer illiterate and you want a job with geek squad
What certs/jobs would someone with 0 IT work experience go for then? I'm pretty much open to anything.
>>
>>54884806

Same boat as you, all I have for work experience is shitty retail/restaurant stuff.
>>
Is there value in going for LPIC-1 when aiming at medior software developer?
>>
How do I learn hardware and computer networks?

I'm good at software but I never broke the barrier into the physical world. Trying to setup my own home networks is like trying to summon a succubus demon
>>
>>54883728
>Career = business

Do you wear a dirty shirt while you go outside for your careerjob?

Some cunts here already smell and lack motivation. This should be in biz
>>
>>54884531
I live in SoCal. I just got my CCNA cert 2 weeks ago in the mail. I passed it in Late April of this year. It's my only IT cert, and besides the 20 or so college credits from the Cisco Academy classes I took, I still haven't gotten any replies for any tech or networking jobs.
Because of that I decided to read a book and get my A+ cert this month, along with net+, security+ and linux professional 1 course in the coming fall. I don't think less is more in this case.
>>54884600
I took a "condensed" course for the CCNA, 4 semesters, 9 months and a lot of self study. It goes through the Cisco Academy and you get to use amazing tools like packet tracer to study. Even with those classes I still spent a couple months studying "about" the test itself instead of just risking 300 USD.
If you don't have experience (I didn't), don't expect less than 10 hours of study time per week for at least half a year. If you're worked for an ISP or you're familiar with networking protocols, subnetting and Cisco proprietary tech, you can cut the hours in half.
>>
>>54884510
No it is not.
It is both an applicable cert, and a very good foundation for anything that requires more then basic foundations.

Like the CCNA cert. I know heaps of ccna retards that lack troubleshooting skills. This shows me that any cert does not mean it is good if you just passed and then don't give a shit about the education you take.

I fired a retard that failed to encrypt his cisco VPN tunnel. I got another guy that replaced him. This bloke has a much better manner on his education. A few other people I hired has done A+ N+ CCNA Red Hat 7 and much more.

The difference is these bloke gives a shit about their education enough to learn shit for troubleshooting and more. Certs are useless without the little additional information you get after gaining them.

Gaining any certificate then simply thinking it gets you a job is like thinking that by programming a hello world program on a computer suddenly become a programmer...

>It is fucking sad how many people cannot demonstrate their skills in front of me which would had been required for the passing of the vendor certs.

>>54884531
As a hiring employer I would suggest against that. A requirement for most employers (Including myself) is that we need computer science degrees for our software engineering department and a networking engineering based course reward for our networkers.

Why?
Unless the programmer and or networker can demonstrate that he knows best practices, efficiency in their sripting/programming, and understands what they are doing, then they are useless to us.

It is all good if they can code in java, but if that same program ends up being exploited, slow, hard to read, and takes a long time to produce, then we don't want that type of uneducated person.

At least with degrees we know they have a standard education which we can ether invest further in.

Sorry but some places require degrees. Mind you we pay more for educated people due to that.
>>
>>54885670
A+ is very good for troubleshooting skills.

It may not be the cure to lacking that skill but having it is better then not having it.
>>
>>54884330
Random ass question but did you ever play Pokemon Showdown?
>>
>>54883593
bump
>>
oh
>>
>>54886085
>bumping the thread just to say this
>>
I just passed my CCNA a couple days go and I have a bachelors degree that's not related to I.T.

Is this enough to to get me NOC type job? I'm told that's about the best you can do starting out with no experience.
>>
Get your A+, Get your N+. if they're that stupidly easy then get them to add them to your name. CCNA Here. One thing my teach taught me is that Techs aren't usually the ones hiring, it's HR. someone who has A+,N+,CCNA will look more qualified than a CCNP to hiring retards who don't know shit bout computers or certs. Regardless if they "Don't Hold Water", It's a Cert to pad your resume.
>>
>>54886228
HR is given a list of requirements to look for. No decent job is going to have A+ on that list, so it won't help you there. And you take the risk of the hiring manager thinking you're a mongoloid for actually wasting money on and listing such a useless cert.
>>
>>54886183
>>bumping the thread just to say this
>>
so what exactly is this thread?
>>
as an 18 year old, how do I get my first years of experience in IT if all I have is an A+? (and MTA but I might as well wipe my ass with it)
>>
>>54887175
ignore the trip, that was for another thread
>>
Doesd anyone have experience with any coding bootcamps?

Are they worth the money/time?

Whats the job market like after completing one?
>>
So how long do these certs last? What can you get with network+ and security+? Should you take a class or just read a book?
>>
>>54889558
You can google it very easily, but I think 3 years for XYZ+ certs, and some of them are indefinite. So I think its either 3 years or indefinite.

>Currently field tech
>Have 50 ish certs, most are Lexmark, HP, DELL, and Lenovo product certs
>Also have A+ and CCTRS

What do I do now
>>
>>54883593
>Join study group at https://rabb.it/fritoStudy
Can you tell me more about it OP? I'm kinda confused.
>>
Anyone done the java certifications?

What's the Associate exam like? Considering doing it
>>
>>54885670
This, certs mean jack shit if you think you are done after the cert.
People forget that after they pass for a cert they know how it works.
Surprise after 2 months they forget a lot of knowledge, you have to keep doing stuff ( like at work or a homelab ) otherwise the certs are useless.
I had much more success with people that got the cert while working ( on hands experience everyday ) and they all passed those certs.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.