[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have experience making websites?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: AvjlB1a.jpg (204 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
AvjlB1a.jpg
204 KB, 1200x1600
I'm going to purchase a domain name for a website, but where is the best place to purchase from?

I would LOVE to have a website with one page being dedicated to recipes with a Pinterest style continuous scroll with images and links to the recipes shown in the images. How could this be accomplished? Maybe some of you code and know how I can create that myself or maybe one of you knows where I can get a template that allows that.

The rest of my site will pretty much be like this, except obviously more polished and with more information and interesting additions. https://goveganoroffyourself.wordpress.com/

Thanks if you can help.

Ignore the picture.
>>
Get a $50 WordPress theme with all the templates your heart could desire. Get a domain name. Get cheap shared hosting. Install WordPress and theme.
>>
>>54883319
Go to stupid questions general or a Web Development general also see >>54883395
And fuck off
>>
>>54883395
I'm poor and honestly was hoping for something under 15 dollars/year.
>>
There are more than enough free WordPress templates available.
Alternatively there are free CMSs with MyBB or other free forum modules integrated .. there are ways op - all you have to do is get motivated, do it and google.

Also the girl in picture is really lovely.
>>
>>54883482
Okay, I'll take another look at WordPress and figure it out I guess.

>Also the girl in picture is really lovely.

Awww. Thank you.
>>
>>54883474
https://www.domcomp.com/

Use this tool to find cheapest - aim for cheap renew price - because it's tempting to buy domain name for 5$ then have to pay 20$ or more for renewal find something decent.

But why don't you start with a free domain until you get the hang of making websites.
>>
>>54883512
>https://www.domcomp.com/
Nice, thank you.

I might try out a free one then transfer all the information once everything's polished and I'm ready to improve it and show it to the masses.
>>
>>54883512
What's a good free one? .biz.ly?
>>
IMO the initial registration is less important than the hosting, and then the future charges. Because some places will offer a domain or first few months of hosting for almost free, then slam you with fees later.

Also, NEVER use those "is this domain taken" or etc. search bars that registrars have on their site. They will buy up the domain after you search it and then squat on it and blackmail you into buying it from them.
>>
>>54883669
.tk is free
>>
I think webs dot com or weebly or something similar offer dirt cheap domains and free hosting. I never used them because you are bound to their CSS templates.
>>
nearlyfreespeech . net
>>
>>54883669
Not op and sorry for taking over, but what's the easiest to learn free website designing utility with links for someone with no html experience.

I use both windows and Linux(Fedora and Ubuntu) so platform won't be an issue.
>>
Just tried weebly after someone recommended it since I don't know how to code. Tried to sign up, originally clicked on the Facebook log in, then immediately realized that was probably a bad idea, NOPE CAN'T REVERSE THAT CHOICE APPARENTLY, I can't even fucking use that e-mail anymore. THEN I decide alright fucking fine since I can't unlink my weebly to my Facebook apparently I'll just try not to post anything that will make someone want to murder me or ruin my career. So I went ahead and started attempting to look at themes, but you can't fucking tell exactly what it's offering til you actually buy it and NOPE not free anymore, it's fucking 8 dollars a month minimum.

Fuck weebly. I'm so filled with rage right now. They can't even design their own website properly.
>>
>>54883912
No problem. Feel free to take over. Especially since that's an interesting question.
>>
>>54884346
I figured I might as well post in this thread and give op a bump without killing another thread since its relevant.

Will I need to build 2 layouts, one mobile one desktop?
>>
>>54883319
bump
>>
File: 1464927018190 (1).jpg (157 KB, 938x1134) Image search: [Google]
1464927018190 (1).jpg
157 KB, 938x1134
>>54883319
>call your isp and get a static IP
>buy a domain, actually buy it and register it with your IP.
>grab an old pc and load up Apache
>stick it behind a decent router with a 1-to-1 nat to your new static address.
>develop a super simple html site.
>simple sounds bad but it will load hella quick
>go about you business for next to nothing.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.