[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Graphics engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: rage.jpg (296 KB, 807x432) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
296 KB, 807x432
Hi /g/

So, summer has come, and I will have plenty of free time, and I want to spend it on something useful. So, I've decided I want to learn to use a graphics engine, but I don't know which to choose.

Unity: My first option, I've been experimenting with it and I kinda like it. This engine is "easy", "tidy", and somehow I think I might be "comfortable" using it, it's such a strange feeling. However I'm afraid that I might be losing my time learning this, it's not commonly used in the industry, and the few "pro" games made in it are mostly cheap mobile games.

Cryengine: Pros: C# which I already know, provides incredible looking games. Cons: not many games are made on it, not many studios use it, and I heard it's the hardest to get used to.

Unreal Engine: Lots of games made on it, awesome looking games, from Bioshock to Mass Effect, lots of studios working with it. BUT, i find it like if it were a mess, I hate the UI, how things are done, and there's only option for c++, which I will have to learn.

I make this emphasis on how much the engine is used because after finishing my degree I'd like to try luck getting in the game industry. So I feel that learning the most commonly used engine (UE4) would bring more chances of succeeding than learning an engine that is not so much used (Unity, for example)
>>
Interested in this as well
>>
>>54881772
>Graphics engine

Gaymers go back to >>>/v/
>>
>>54881772
kill yourself
>>
>>54881772
>it's not commonly used in the industry, and the few "pro" games made in it are mostly cheap mobile games.

lmao, where the fuck are you getting your info from?

Anyway, ignore Cryengine, which is used by no one relevant apart from Crytek and have no real advantage compared to the other two, and decide between UE4 and Unity, which are basically the standards, and both have an insane amount of resources from users and a healthy list of quality games which use them.

If you like Unity then just go for it. That argument about it not being used in the industry is extremely uninformed and retarded.
>>
File: 1463783761385.png (30 KB, 206x183) Image search: [Google]
1463783761385.png
30 KB, 206x183
>Video games

Fucking kill yourself stupid
>>
>>>/v/

No literally get this video game shit off of my board. sage
>>
>>54881772
fuck off
>>
>>54881920
this

plus I want to learn UE4
>>
>>54881920
On wikipedia there are a few lists about the released games of each engine.

Not a single AAA made with unity, the best thing I've found is Firewatch and Ori. With UE, however, lots of games, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Deus ex...

It is definitely the most used engine.
>>
File: 1457486608206.gif (2 MB, 312x250) Image search: [Google]
1457486608206.gif
2 MB, 312x250
>Gayming

LOL, get the fuck out of here
>>
>>54881920
i can second this. There are a ton of games done in Unity, on console, pc, and mobile. Its a perfectly fine choice to usem
>>
>>54881945
>>54881915

Playing a game and making a game is 2 different thing. Also /3 would probably be a better place
>>
>>54881915
>>54881945

/v/ is full of tards who dont know what an engine is
>>
>>54882004
You're pretty retarded. No one looks at AAA games when trying to choose an engine to develop games on, mainly cause you're just a fucking dude on a garage. Also you are talking about UE3 and not UE4, which is older and didn't really have a full featured free version, just the UDK which had limitations. Both UE4 and Unity are flexible, and can do stuff from simple mobile games to AAA level quality, so they won't limit you in any way. Just do some actual research and choose whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>54881935
>Anime

Fucking kill yourself stupid
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.