[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Comcast can’t get “gigabit” tax break that was created
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1415159112325.jpg (31 KB, 368x259) Image search: [Google]
1415159112325.jpg
31 KB, 368x259
>Comcast has hit a roadblock in its attempt to get a big tax break that Oregon legislators wrote specifically for Google Fiber.

>The department "ruled Comcast ineligible for the tax break, at least for this year,"

>Comcast can appeal to the director of the Department of Revenue
>Comcast did not tell Ars whether it plans to appeal.

>Lawmakers designed the tax break to benefitGoogle Fiber, which is considering an expansion into the Portland metro area.

>Comcast has also begun offering a gigabit cable service ...but it isn't available in Oregon yet and it offers only 35Mbps upload speeds.

>The Oregontax lawonly applies to services with gigabit speeds both upstream and downstream, effectively limiting it to fiber networks.
>>
Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/05/comcast-cant-get-gigabit-tax-break-that-was-created-for-google-fiber/
>>
I think it's reasonable to get a tax break if you're coming out with something truly ground-breaking or if you don't have enough money to compete with an established monopoly, so comcast can go suck a dick.
>>
>>54868181
Claiming this law was designed for “google fiber” is false reporting / misleading.

It was designed for gigabit networks. If comcat can't provide that, well then fuck them and their shitty service.

nothing google specific about it. Maybe the other ISPs should just stop being jewish
>>
they didn't say why so there's not much to discuss.

now that comcast is deploying caps everywhere i hope they die soon
>>
>>54868243
I was about to post this. Comcast is crying unfair when it's their own fucking paid laws that caused the fucking monopoly in the first place.

Comcast isn't providing a good enough service to qualify for the tax break and the tears are flowing. Baww government bad they only want google to win baww

Jesus christ this makes me pretty mad.
>>
Well that's because their 35 megabit upstream is not even 1/20th of the way to the full duplex gigabit the tax break is there to incentivise. Makes perfect sense. They are plainly ineligible and shouldn't even have applied for it.

They've got, or can install, fiber to the home, they simply have no excuse. If they want the tax break, roll out gigabit both ways and compete, or quit their bitching.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.