[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I fell for the Linux meme a few months ago on my old laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: the villain from mo' money.gif (56 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
the villain from mo' money.gif
56 KB, 320x240
So I fell for the Linux meme a few months ago on my old laptop just to check it out. I barely use it and would like to reinstall Windows 8 on it again so that I can have a backup laptop for work. I think I may have overwritten the entire windows 8 OS and can't find any of the original files. The laptop in question is an HP Envy TouchSmart which I bought in 2014. Wondering if the windows 8 install prompt is still hidden somewhere on this thing, and if so, how can I find it? Not a big deal if I can't... but any help is appreciated.

I like Mint but it's not friendly for my work stuff.
>>
>>54866534
If you're lucky, your windows key may be embedded in your laptop's acpi.
If that's the case, you can probably just pick up an iso from Microsoft's site and reinstall without any issues.
>>
>>54866585
What is ACPI? And how would I go about recovering it if it exists?
>>
> using Linux for anything work-related

Linux is a fucking meme OS, can't do productivity, gaming, or run literally any enterprise program.
>>
>>54866641
I wasn't planning on using it for work. I had an old laptop and decided to try it out for curiosity.
>>
>>54866662
Also, if you don't know basic shit like what ACPI is, don't install Linux. Go back to windows grandma.

Virtual machines are what you wanted. They allow you to try out Linux while you use your Windows machine. Doesn't hurt any files either.
>>
>>54866696
One unhelpful bastard right here..
>>
>>54866776
lmao how is telling someone to use a virtual machine bad advice? It's literally the safest way to try out an unknown OS.
>>
>>54866534
Not tech support. But yeah just reinstall Windows 8, you'll be fine.
>>
>>54866889
That's what I want to do. I figured out how to put windows 8 installation ISO onto a USB stick, so that's writing to my USB right now. I'm wondering if the product key is going to be the issue now. I was reading on HP's forums that it's encrypted in the BIOS, but who the fuck knows by now, looks like I wiped windows 8 entirely so I'm not sure what I'll have to do from here.

Like I said though, not a big deal, not an emergency, this is just a backup computer.
>>
>>54866934
Pirate it. Lookup Microsoft Toolkit, it worked for me.
>>
>>54866934
If you're still in linux, you can try running:
cat /sys/firmware/acpu/tables/MSDM

If you're lucky, that'll spit your product key at you, and it'll mean your acpi holds your key. If that's the case, Windows won't even ask you for a product key and will automatically use that one.
If that doesn't work, then you'll have to do what other anons mentioned and look for Microsoft toolkit to pirate.
>>
>>54867201
cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

Fuck my phone.
>>
Welp in my tech retardation I went into GParted and accidentally wiped my Mint OS. Oh well, not a big deal lmao.

Currently installing windows off a thumbdrive.
>>
>>54867717
If your laptop originally came with windows , you will not have to pirate anything.
The details are stored in uefi/bios in acpi table.
Remember to install the correct version that came with your laptop.
>>
File: microsoft memo.jpg (54 KB, 927x400) Image search: [Google]
microsoft memo.jpg
54 KB, 927x400
>>54866534
Why do you need to have a Microsoft OS on even your old laptop(s)? Because I'm pretty sure you have Windows on your primary computer(s) as well. It just seems strange. Like you're so conditioned for the buttfuck OS that you have to have it on your toaster and microwave oven too.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.