[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im looking at getting a new version of firefox, or at least a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1464584913499.png (18 KB, 206x135) Image search: [Google]
1464584913499.png
18 KB, 206x135
Im looking at getting a new version of firefox, or at least a newer then what i have version.

Haven't used firefox in years, but chrome keeps shitting out on me so I want to see if i can move back to firefox or not.

I don't know what forks are good
I don't know what forks there are
I don't know where to start
I just know normal firefox is likely not the best option.

Anyone able to help out, and able to tell me of any new extensions or features that have been added in the last 3 years.
>>
>>54851022
Normal firefox is fine if you adjust some settings (like disable pocket and hello in about:config and turn off start menu ads) and install the right addons
Personally I use iceweasel which is almost the same.
If you want it to be safe out of the box maybe try icecat. It's good but I disagree with a couple of its addon choices and it follows the ESR firefox release which is too outdated for me personally
>>
>>54851065
Will ESR fuck me over with normal web use?
I value stability over bleeding edge so long as my shit works, I currently have Cyberfox 22 installed, and most shit won't work with it because it's too old.

There is also the shit where if I open a bunch of tabs, it uses resources, but if I close them all it doesn't give everything back.

Any info I find is dated so I'm relying on 4chan right now.
>>
Pale Moon is the best option currently.
>>
>>54851418
Got a question, are all FF variants compatible with all add ons so long as they can be compatible with them?

What I mean is barring something is actually incompatible (apposed to version locked incompatible) will they work?
>>
>>54852082
Pale Moon seems to be the most compatible in my experience. That's why I switched to it in the first place.

(All the retarded shit Mozilla is doing made several of my add-ons stp working; they still work in Pale Moon.)
>>
>>54851022
the forks suck
normal firefox is fine if you use the settings, about:config and some add-ons

also remember to get the eme-free version
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/46.0.1/win64-EME-free/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2046.0.1.exe
>>
Don't use forks, they are always outdated and honestly provide no benefit other than being able to say ">>>still using standard Firefox lulz". Use a non-stable branch of Firefox (Aurora or Beta) and toggle some things in about:config if you want a better Firefox experience. Things like multiprocess, the number of processes, smooth scroll, etc. Don't fall for the meme.
>>
>>54852829
>>54852756

I use the "meme" because when I still used firefox normal, something like version 7 or something, firefox would only use 700mb before the program would ping a core to 100% and become unusably slow, switching to 64bit waterfox fixed this, as there was no release version of firefox that was 64bit at the time and I'm not sure there is.

Also, I care about stability and reliability, I want to get the fuck away from chrome because of so many goddamn issues with updating, if it was up to me the program would never fucking update as it creates nightmares and adds shit I don't like rather than fixing anything, and from what I remember, new firefox wants to kill off addons so I have no clue if I would even want to use that shit.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.