[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Having an issue with networking that I can't seem to find
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: iw.png (71 KB, 595x497) Image search: [Google]
iw.png
71 KB, 595x497
Having an issue with networking that I can't seem to find any actual resolution for, /g/:

So I set up a 12-channel CCTV security camera system in my workplace. The cameras all link back to a DVR which in turn can be connected via ethernet for remote control/viewing/FTP and whatnot. The problem is that the system will need to go through my personal laptop via hardwired ethernet, seeing as how the CCTV system spans several buildings and my PC in my office is by far the closest device to the actual DVR unit.

I've connected it to my PC, and I'm running a Debian derivative (kali to be specific). I created a network bridge between eth0 and wlan0, and even tried wlan1 as it's an overpowered external adapter. However, even with a perfect signal, I cannot for the life of me get the DVR to ping any server on the planet.

I created the bridge, gave manual static IPs to everything, and even tried setting the laptop PC's IP as the gateway, yet nothing gets a single packet returned. What am I missing here? Do I need to set the laptop up as it's own subnet first? I dont see why it would be necessary, but I'm ready to try anything. Just figured I'd see if I was missing something blatantly obvious by asking here before I trial-and-error 192.168.0.1/24 over the next 48 hours with no sleep until it works.
>>
bump?
>>
I had fair trouble with kali and networking.

Since switching to #!++ I have 0 problems networking.

Food for thought..
>>
>IP Security bro here
You probably need to specify and forward ports if using WAN.

What software / package are you running for streams?
>>
>>54848694
In your opinion, though, does it sound like there's some major step I'm missing or something of the like?

I've had no trouble using the same laptop as a gateway for an older laptop. I actually didn't even have to change it over from dynamic mode. Then again, I can't even tell what this DVR is using for an OS since it has no BIOS (or at least a 0 sec post so it's unseeable) and even if I were to boot into something manageable from usb (this fucking thing doesn't even recognize a usb keyboard for fucks sake, just a mouse) I doubt it'd be possible to make everything run smoothly without nuking the proprietary OS and starting over from the ground up - in which case I'd have wasted my time getting the CCTV system as a package in the first place.
>>
>>54848754
>You probably need to specify and forward ports if using WAN.

Running one DVR directly to the router, using port 7070 and it runs fine.

Trying to get this one going on 7071, but tried 7070 as well with no luck. 80/8080 does jack as well.

>What software / package are you running for streams?

The DVR giving me issues is: Everfocus ECORHD8F
>>
>>54848819
It is very hard to tell without access to the system. It does seem like this DVR is not conforming to the entirety of the system, possibly a protocol mismatch.

>>54848754
possible, though I would assume they are mostly talking over 21/????

So this is something else to try..
>>
The DVR must be assigned an IP address that is compatible with its LAN. By setting up port forwarding on the router, you can remotely access the cameras from outside of the LAN via the Internet. To remotely access the Web interface, please refer to 7. Remote Access to
the DVR
. To set up port forwarding, please consult the manual of the router or refer to
Appendix B: Linksys &
D-Link Port Forwarding

You've probably sussed it but page 33 from the manual
http://www.everfocus.com/downloads/manuals/ECORHD_4F_8F_16F_Manual.pdf
>>
>>54849091

I appreciate the help! I have tried it; I've got both 7070,7071 forwarded and 7070 has no issue, but it's also on the unit linked directly into the router. Should the extra hop of DVR->PC->Router really affect much of anything given it all has static IPs though?
>>
>>54849131
I could be wrong but the manual seems to indicate that it must pass through routing (NAT?) before it can communicate with a laptop/pc/etc
>>
>>54849311
hmm interesting

Perhaps if I set the bridge up through localhost then? Should see ssh as a de facto routing 'device' then, no?
>>
File: stopped_reading1.png (72 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
stopped_reading1.png
72 KB, 250x272
>>54847683
>kali
Fuck off skid
>>
>>54847683

I'm making a lot of assumptions about the details of your setup, but if you are bridging (layer 2 on the OSI chart) two interfaces, e.g., using the brctl tool, the devices on either end of the bridge must be assigned in the same L3 subnet - same prefix, same netmask.

You should also check to see if spanning tree (802.1d) is in use and that both ports (eth0 and wlan0) are in the forwarding state.

Check the arp table to see if you are seeing L2 (MAC) addresses for either end of the bridge you created on the PC.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.