[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >still using text files for configuration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: linux[1].jpg (214 KB, 998x679) Image search: [Google]
linux[1].jpg
214 KB, 998x679
Just why? Why do people like sed-ing shit that can go wrong if someone fucks up the config in some unexpected way instead of doing it properly with registry like windows since the 90s and proper methods to set shit in the registry configs that will eat anything you feed them with 100% reliability and no need to learn 20 pages sed manual.
>>
The registry is literally a database file somewhere on the hard drive.
>>
>and proper methods to set shit in the registry configs that will eat anything you feed them with 100% reliability
Someone never used the WinAPI to modify registry entries I see.
>>
>>54834400
>registry
>100% reliable
>>
>>54834506

thats the same as saying mysql is just a file somewhere on the hard drive or a hash table is just a space allocated in the memory. retarded.
>>
Oh look, it's another I-am-too-incompetent-to-use-X-so-I-create-a-thread-to-find-others-who-are-equal-incompetent-and-will-agree-with-me-thread.
>>
Even Microsoft thinks you're retarded.
>>
>>54834547
mysql is just a file, with a fancy interface to it, just like the windows regisrty
>>
>>54834400
>implying windows is customizable at all

Yop klok
>>
>>54834400
Don't forget to run Registry Cleaner 2016 (c) goy.
>>
>2016
>not using a configuration management system to describe your servers and workstations as code
>even on Windows and Mac
>being this pleb

Chef, Ansible, Salt, Puppet, learn one.
>>
I love configs in files. Makes it very easy and simple to configure shit. Plus they're usually very well documented (within the file) so if it's an application or daemon you've never used before it's easy to get it going.
>>
>>54834634
dumb tripfag go fuck yourself
>>
How does it make more sense to create an entire pseudo-filesystem for configuration files alone? How is a centralized directory any more convoluted than that?
>>
>>54834400
>the windows registry is good
wew lad
don't forget to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/EnableSmallIconSpacing to 0x00000001 to enable your icons being closer together. or you could open this .reg file from coolwindowstips.blogspot . com but it will fuck everything up
>>
>god tier
default configuration file comes with all options listed and explained
gooey saves and reads from a plaintext configuration file

>mid tier
conf file you have to create uself and read through manuals to get it just right

>shit tier
windows registry
>>
>>54834756
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/EnableSmallIconSpacing to 0x00000001
Is it for real?
How does the result look like?
>>
>>54834671
Looks like another thread I win
>>
>>54834811
Not him, and got nothing against tripfriends, but you sound like you have your head up your ass.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.