[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>i5 4460 >GTX 970 >8 gb RAM How long do you think this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
>i5 4460
>GTX 970
>8 gb RAM

How long do you think this can last me on high/med settings?

I'm going to skip the next gen of GPU and get 1170 instead. Im not sure how long the cpu can last me, I'm past the days of MMORPGs now.
>>
>>54825624
>>
My gtx560 lastest me on high settings until I upgraded last year. For medium/high at least a couple years. Im still running i7-920 cpu and a gtx970. I have no issues running ultra (with some filters turned off) on all the games ive played.
>>
>>54830061

>Some features turned off
>Ultra

Pick one.

Also OP, 970 is as good as dead already, unless you haven't already played the must-plays of this year and the last. That 3.5 gig of RAM is showing to really bottleneck newer titles in benchmarks I've seen. Shit, it even bottlenecks some benchmarks of older titles.
>>
File: 1460307164824.jpg (26 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1460307164824.jpg
26 KB, 640x427
You're solid for now anon.
For a year. Give or take
>>
Hard to call how long that CPU will be relevant, depends on the kinds of titles you play. Do you learn towards shooters, rts, mmo's, [spoiler]moba's[/spoiler], or rpg's? anywhere from 2 years to 5 depending on your answer.

As for the GPU yer fucked pretty soon, Maxwell blows dick at async compute and dx12 in general. Even an equivalent power AMD card to your 970 would be set for like 3 years thanks to how much more compliant the architecture is.

Strong card in terms of sheer tflops, abysmal compatibility with the newer API's. GCN has definitely won this round.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
>>
>>54828767
Games are starting to utilize more vram so the 3.5 bullshit is going to bone you hard on higher res/texture. Then there's the fact that DX12 games are going to actually decrease your cards performance vs DX11, but the majority of games are going to be DX11 for a while yet so that's not really an issue. Lastly, Nvidia will probably halt driver development for 9 series cards within a year or two, going by their recent track record, so at that point, newer games won't run as well as they otherwise should. All of that adds up to one to two years before your card becomes obsolete unless you're ok with dialing settings back a lot, in which case, you could putter along with it for maybe five years. Of course, that assumes that nothing major happens, like VR actually being a thing instead of the niche headache/vertigo fest that it is now.
>>
>>54828767

>I'm past the days of MMORPGs now.

the 4460 will be a fine partner to the gtx 1070.
>>
>>54832970
I do also have a i5 4460, but a 750ti gigabyte and only 8gb of ram (which I feel that I need more since I usually run Minecraft on two screens and sometimes others minimized). I think that I'll get a 1070 and then upgrape the rest (mobo, since only 2 slots of ram), and maybe I'll keep the rest unless I found something cheap.
>>
>>54833103
that would be a pretty balanced build at 800x600 though
>>
>>54828767
It will last until Volta is released
>>
>>54833162
sucker
>>
>>54828767
Motherfucker your rig was outdated when you bought that 4460.

It actually loses to an OC'd i7 920 from EIGHT YEARS AGO.
>>
>>54833208
anyone who OC is a loser.
>>
>>54833933
Kek
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.