[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make up your passwords ? I've been threatened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: 1453165717617.gif (2 MB, 498x373) Image search: [Google]
1453165717617.gif
2 MB, 498x373
How do you make up your passwords ?
I've been threatened for some bullshit and even though i'm safe I want to get a step safer cuz I'm a paranoid autist. I'm willing to change every password's account I have and take the risk to forget a lot of them

> generate passwords ?
> should I make them too long or too complex/random ?
> Shoud I write them down or save them anywhere like a note in my phone or is it stupid ?

What are your opinions on this ?
>>
>1984+32
>password """"""""protection""""""""
>>
>>53285434
> 6 digits
> date + 32
> probably many accounts with the same pattern

I just told you I'm paranoid, you'll probably get "hacked" by a 12 year old.
>>
>>53285357
Since we live in a day and age where login servers take measures against brute-forcing (enter password wrong X amount of times, get locked out for Y amount of time, email notification gets sent to Z address), security firms are now teaching businesses the practice of using and maintaining a Password Index. It works like this:

[Base_Word][Add_Word]

The base word is used in every password. The add word changes from account to account. For example:

apple123Gmail

In the above, "apple123" is the base word and "Gmail" is the add word. It's important to not use capital letters in the base word itself as not all password systems support capital letters. Therefore leaving caps for the add word ensures that you never have to change your base word.

The idea behind the password index is that you can memorize your base word and keep an index of your add words thus not compromising your passwords. What's more, should one password become compromised, the rest are safe and only the add word for that password needs to be changed.

Lastly, the given example shouldn't be taken literally: Don't use something so simple such as "Gmail" for an add word for your Gmail account or "apple123" for your base word.
>>
>>53285357
-2-factor authentication for every account available.
-don't keep all your accounts on one e-mail (bank, cable, phone, forums,etc)
-get a gun
>>
>>53285549
>two dictionary words separated by some numbers
yeah that'll last about sixty seconds against an offline attack.

There's only one solution: Use a password manager, and have it generate a string of random characters for you. (you can suck some stuff out of /dev/urandom yourself if you really, really want to) Minimum 16 characters, all four classes (lowercase, uppercase, numbers, symbols), no recognizable words. USE A PASSWORD MANAGER. Anything that's simple enough for you to memorize a few dozen of is simple enough to crack easily. In big password leaks something like 95% of the hashes can be brute-forced, because humans always choose the same types of things, and they're easy to guess. USE A PASSWORD MANAGER.
>>
Drag your dick across the keyboard in each direction several times. Works like a charm.
>>
Anything important I generate the maximum allowed character limit password from Keypass.

Anything umimportant I just put the same password that I've seen for the past like 10 years.
>>
>>53285549
Oh I see, really interesting I'll probably do that but wouldn't it be really risk ? Assuming someone knows the measure, if he happen to find out one of the password, he just needs to try new numbers in every other.

Also, do you think I could make a note of every digit linked to the account, put it in my phone for instance ? How secure is my phone and its datas ?

>>53285632

I am not company, I don't work yet, I'm only a poor student how makes a lot of ennemies because I can't shut up. I don't think a password manager is needed here, the idea seems really adapted to my situation : hard to guess, hard to randomly find, easy to memorise
>>
>>53285682
>I don't think a password manager is needed here
Yes it is. Some fuck who compromises a website where you happen to have an account doesn't much give a shit who you are, if he can recover your password, those credentials will get used on that site if the breach is undetected, and tried on other sites as well.

Besides, a password manager means you have to remember exactly one secure password. You don't need a system or anything. Every other password you have can not only be different and guaranteed to be strong, but you never have to remember it.

Go get Keepass. Free as in both speech and beer, cross-platform. There is no excuse not to use a password manager in >2016
>>
>>53285727

how's that I don't have to remember it ? I do need to remember it, right ? That would be another matter but I don't intend to save my password on my computer either, with chrome or with the password manager, I need to remember it and re-write everytime, I find it more secure
>>
>>53285781
>have 100 accounts
>each needs a different password
>have to remember 100 different passwords

or

>have password manager
>have 100 accounts stored in it
>remember one password that opens up the password manager
>don't have to remember any of the other 100 passwords, just copy/paste one out of the manager when its needed

Your choice. Just remember that nothing you devise with a "system" of dictionary words is secure, because there's teams of very smart people who study how humans think up passwords, and who train their hashing systems on leaked passwords. Your "system" is child's play to them.
>>
>>53285858

> Forgets 1 password -> 100 password forgot
> 12yo timmy le hacker had a trojan watching your computer while putting the password of the password manager, he got every one of your accounts

Yeah, my choice obviously, I'll got with

1Password[Randomnumber]
2Password[Randomnumber]

easy, secure against pleb-hack
>>
>>53286049
>worried about forgetting one password
>decides to memorize dozens instead
>winds up with less-secure passwords more easily forgotten

whatever, your loss.
>>
>>53285357
Random generated 20 character long with keepass for important stuff that should be done with my laptop. Otherwise some crappy password for, let's say, a forum.
>>
>>53286049
>forgets one password

You don't. You shouldn't. Unless you're dumb.
>>
>>53285632
>>53285682
This isn't a system for the illiterate. If you can't even heed the last paragraph, please don't bother.
>>
>>53287304
To further upon this, a realistic example (since people can't seem to fathom that an example for ease of clarity is still just an example to begin with) would be as follows:

j1e57dx8A3fG09s2

Where j1e57dx8 is the base word and A3fG09s2 is the add word.
>>
You're all idiots if you don't use acronyms! Remember some phrase you like and switch 'to' for 2, and 'and' for & if you like, capitalize as well; simple to remember, impossible to understand.
>>
>>53285357
use pwgen or go to random.org
>>
>>53285357
sha1pass
>>
File: asdgashffsdh.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
asdgashffsdh.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
>>53285491
He was mocking you for being worried about password protection you fucking autist.

Here, let me translate it for you, mongoloid.

>1984+32
>password """"""""protection""""""""

=

>2016
>password "protection"
>>
>make up a sentence
>capitalize every word
>remove all space
For example, my e-mail password is: LastNightIFuckedMissObamaInHerPhatNiggerAssAndICameSoHardSheTurnedWhiteFromAllTheCum
>>
I'm in the same situation as OP. Just got a new iPhone(I log into all sensitive accounts by phone) and my bank account already been compromised. A relative makes it obvious that they do shit like hacking and I want to take all precautions. I already changed all passwords to stronger passwords.
>>
Physically write them down and hide the notebook.

If you are a fucko then a diary with a lock on it :^]
>>
Use the agp command line application.

Don't use an online password generator.
>>
>>53289065
curl -s https://0x0.st/8Ix.bin | shuf | head -n 8
>>
There was a guy in primary school who used to make up words and memorise long strings of apparently random sounds.

I made my first serious password by taking one of his bizzaro words and mixing it with numbers. One of his words sounded like
 concetenistupanastudobrogizaviraizamitoviamaidrenicana 
. Well, this is actually just a fragment that I never used, because it sounded too simple.
>>
>>53288555
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
For important stuff I just let KeePass generate a 128bit password and enable 2-auth.

For less important shit I just use the same password I've been using for 10 years.
>>
>>53285357
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
>>
Keepass generator.
And for Keepass I use a quote from a movie or book, maybe one with some numbers too.
"1 2 3 4 5? That's the combination to my luggage!"
"When I was younger and in my more formative years my father said something to me that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

Or somesuch.
>>
A set phrase of 8 symbols, plus a suffix based on a pattern using the name of the site/service with the account. Both easy to remember as I don't have to remember multiple passwords for multiple sites, but still secure as the passwords are not the same for multiple sites, and also I don't have to store my password anywhere like keepass or lastpass or whatever.
>>
For random websites
pass generate -N Shit/<website>/<login> 8

For stuff I use on my phone I wrote something when I started learning python which generates:

./quickpass.py wccw 7

Cleeve]+gHulme
OmphalinaWXpPieces
MelissazCPLenddo
Maqboolv__Cobain
BrothernNTMacauley
Fichel(b0Faith
CherohalaB^cOmnibus

A format can be specified to mix random characters and 'words' but usually [word character character character word] is nice to remember and passes my entropy tests
>>
>>53289640
>https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
>the cryptographically-strong pseudo random number generator we use guarantees that no similar strings will ever be produced again.
>guarantees that no similar strings will ever be produced again
>CSPRNG
>gaurantees

I don't think this guy really grasps the concept of randomness
>>
>>53285357
This is legit the first anime post on /g/ that did not make me cringe. It's dragon ball, which was great. And it's not some moe ass ugly chick with an underage face. Good job, op. Raise the bar.
>>
File: YzAKQxK.jpg (173 KB, 989x1200) Image search: [Google]
YzAKQxK.jpg
173 KB, 989x1200
>>53285357
KeepassX.
>>
Wank on a dictionary and use the words you skeet on as your password
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.