[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does CCleaner update so often?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: daisy.webm (2 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
daisy.webm
2 MB, 1280x536
Why does CCleaner update so often?
>>
>>54812594
It does install adware spyware and unwanted software behind your back

uninstall before it ruins your pc and change your home page and search bar to something stoopid like bing for example
>>
>>54812594
Why not use the portable build like a sane person?
>>
>>54812594
Please don't post my waifu on /g/
>>
Once a month anon, once a month. And roughly the same time of the month, too.
>>
>>54812620
this. gotta keep up with the AVs
>>
God dammit do I really have to uninstall it now
>>
>>54812594
There's constantly new browser releases and java/adobe updates. The application is updated to be able to clear all their cache files ect
>>
to give the illusion that they're somehow being productive and working for you.
When writing software the codebase is often updated by the members who add features, fix stuff, and break new stuff. When enough changes have been made as to have reached a milestone, like add a significant feature, subversion goes up a number (like 1.5 -> 1.6). The changes in between (known as commits) happen all the time.
So what the fuckers are doing are pushing every commit to your computer so they can pretend they're being very productive and that you got a product and they're working for you by updating this product now that you bought it. So they make sure you are aware of every fucking commit, though in every project commits happen just as often (sometimes even as often as several commits in one night).
This is probably the reason. As to botnets, I'd doubt they'd have much of a botnet though that is not excluded. Either case, they wouldn't need to update their botnet often, the original one would most likely be enough for their purposes.
And you should not worry about CCleaner coming with a botnet because it's a windows software, and windows already comes with botnets. Several programs in your computer probably do as well.
Also the word botnet is a buzzword but for most practical purposes, yeah, you have software doing stuff behind your back which you wouldn't be comfortable knowing about it
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.