[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I want to play video games good, and I have about a $500 budget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: q.jpg (38 KB, 745x533) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
38 KB, 745x533
If I want to play video games good, and I have about a $500 budget for GPU + CPU, should I spend more on the GPU, more on the CPU, or equal amount of money for each?

Can anyone recommend any parts to buy right now? I was looking at the Core i5-4690K. I haven't looked at GPUs yet.

It has been 8 years since I built my last PC and my Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400 is about to catch on fire at this point.
>>
>>54812259

i5-6400/gtx1070 (non-founders edition) will be a little more than $500 but is bound to be very good value

cpu overclocking doesn't add all that much to gaming performance in comparison to what you have to pay for it (unlocked chip, compatible mobo, aftermarket cooler, maybe also a better psu). once you've got an i5 you're better off putting as much money as you can into the gpu.
>>
>>54812259
Wait for Zen
>>
>>54812259
>I was looking at the Core i5-4690K
The i5 6600K is better (slightly). But you should not get either, if you want maximum gaming performance. The i5 6400, and the GTX 1070, or the new AMD cards, once they are released. For most games, the GPU is more important than the CPU.
>>
>>54812439
So i'll get an i5 6400, and wait for the 1070?

The other option is to get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850

Do you think that^ will go down in price when 1070 is released? If so, I will have a hard time choosing between the 970 with a reduced price and the new 1070
>>
>>54812533
970 is a perfectly fine card for 1080p, but with new cards on the horizon you should not buy it at current prices. It will either go down in price, or you can get the new cards. I would wait!
>>
>>54812574
OK thanks man. It has been a long time since I've built a new PC but I do remember it's a good idea to wait until the new cards drop.
>>
>>54812592
1070 is going to be released on the 10th of June, and AMD's press conference is on the 1st of June, so you have very little to wait. You can buy the rest of your PC now, and just use the iGPU (or your current card) for a short while.
>>
>>54812640
I need to wait 2 weeks for my big pay check anyway (holiday pay for memorial day) so it will all work out. do you think the 1070 will sell out instantly when it releases?
>>
>>54812693
Most likely. The 1080 has been out of stock since it was available for pre-order, and the 1070 is cheaper. Big new launches always get sold out for a while.
>>
>>54812704
Maybe only the founder's edition will be available on the 10th though
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.