[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why linux sucks...but can be fixed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Mr_B.jpg (85 KB, 742x758) Image search: [Google]
Mr_B.jpg
85 KB, 742x758
So I got lubuntu 14.04 for obvious reasons - no NSA cancer. And its a really good choice for a lightweight system that works. But now for some actual usage problems...
- the SALSA audio or whatever is called has HORRIBLE sound quality and you have to replace it with something better, which requires some skill to do..
- font rendering is HORRIBLE, you gotta get a fonts patch
- You wanna edit wordpad richtext files? Good fucking luck faggot, even if you put a font patch the program they have has HORRIBLE font rendering and you either have to try openoffice or get wine and run wordpad....
- you gotta get xcompgr or whatver is called to get docky to work and have window shadows and etc which is somewhat trouble
- the window manager is such ugly shit you cant even edit the buttons as images, just black and white dots to edit their shape and good luck opening the files with photoshop. theming lubuntu to look good will require some good CSS knowledge and LONG WORK AND SKILLS. Trying to replace the window manager will make everything bug out.

final verdict: its a great system but you gonna have to spend some serious time fixing shit and making a nice theme. And good luck trying to find how to edit the tray icons to pad them 1px up because they are not even centered...
>>
there are no nice themes for lubuntu, only ugly shit. So to actually make it look good you have to read for a few days and bug around the system, backing up themes, restarting a gajilion times and if you fuck something up....ughhhh

what else to say....firewall doesnt even come turned on. better than windows 10 cancer and no systemd cancer though.
>>
Why dis you install the old LTS?
16.04 is out.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>54807589
because i dont like terminal cancer systemd
i dont need to be "up to date" with shit when this just works.

maybe you enjoy invisible hands just possessing you and fingering your ass?
>>
>>54807539
>not installing pulseaudio
>not just setting up font rendering using the ubuntu wiki and config files
>not just installing gedit
>not just installing compiz or marco
>not just installing another WM or DE or getting a nice theme for openbox
>not just using compiz or marco

>not installing 16.04

Wtf are you doing
>>
>>54807566
>he can't install openbox and GTK themes
dude
>>
>>54807637
Whoa whoa.

What don't you like about systemd?
>>
>>54807667
He fell for the meme
It's obvious that he doesn't really know what he's doing
>>
>>54807539
>I had to learn things to use a completely different operating system that functions entirely differently from the standard consumer desktop OS

no way dude

the hilarious thing is that no matter how much learning and work you do, windows font rendering and sound setup will never be on par, nor will its window management choices
>>
>>54807637
That's impossible senpai. Systemd is GPLv3. Are you saying that even GPLv3 is able to possess your computer? That's ridiculous baka.
>>
File: recording.webm (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
recording.webm
2 MB, 1680x1050
>>
Why doesn't someone make an distribution that has all the tweaks and suff.. I really don't get it.
>>
>>54807539

Oh wezlee, inztall gen-tooooo
>>
>>54807918
Because some people have shitty taste and don't like some tweaks, others have good taste and like the good ones that aren't in the working distros

that's why you install gentoo and do it yourself
>>
>>54807918
they did it, and thats why you have fuckbuntu with its unity
>>
>>54807995
silly robot
gentoo is for neeeeerds like abraham lincoln
>>
>>54807637
>>54807667

>terminal cancer systemd
All this pro and contra systemd shilling! It's still unclear if there are intentional bugs (backdoors) in systemd.

However the true part is, that some programs do not work well or even don't work at all with systemd.
>>
>thread titled "why linux sucks"
>doesn't mention anything about why linux sucks
Get your shit together, OP.
>>
>>54808576
> It's still unclear if there are intentional bugs (backdoors) in systemd.
Uh, of all the possible criticisms of Systemd why would you pick that one? "It might have backdoors" is true of almost every non-trivial program on the planet.

>However the true part is, that some programs do not work well or even don't work at all with systemd.
I've not heard of that before. What software has trouble with it?

>>54808663
Almost no-one who would waste time making shitty "why linux sucks" threads is going to know what Linux is. I've seen it happen maybe once, and they were just copy-pasting from a crappy blog.
>>
>>54807637
>>54807637
>because i dont like terminal cancer systemd

How about you head back to the openbsd forums and never come back to this board again.
>>
>>54808722
There is an issue with samba, but since I don't use it anymore (no more Windows machines on my network), I've lost track of the curtent statee

https://github.com/thias/puppet-samba/issues/17
>>
Can anyone help me with ubuntu?

I'm trying to install steam, but when i do it says it needs to install additional packages, but on the terminal it's not listening to my commands, the only command that works is [Enter] and it just says my password is wrong.
>>
>doesn't want systemd
>uses upstart instead
ayyy
>>
>>54808868
FUCK, WRONG LINK

this one is the right one:
-> https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=155946 <-
>>
>>54808882
sudo apt-get install gdebi
Then double click on the deb file
>>
>>54808921
nvm im an idiot I looked it up and it turns out the password isn't shown.

Was this a new thing?
>>
>>54808905
lmao
>>
>lubuntu
Stopped reading.
>>
>>54808930
It's been like that in linux since the beginning
At least in the terminal
>>
>>54808939
What's the recommendation then for someone new to linux?
>>
>>54807881
You wouldn't have these problems if you just used i3
>>
File: 1449940373763.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1449940373763.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>54807539
>Linux
>no NSA cancer

Do you know what systemd is?

Do you know what RedHat is?

It's 2016, everyone is spying on you unless you're browsing the net through a pimped Tails/Slackware & Tor setup.

Might as well bite the bullet and get the best OS available on the market, OSX.
>>
>>54809185
Lubuntu is pretty solid actually. Stay away from meme distros like arch, gentoo, elementary or mint.
>>
>>54809353
>not mentioning SELinux
>>
>>54809379
they're not meme distros, minimal distros are just bad for beginners due to them not knowing what they want
>>
All your problems would've been resolved if you'd just put your mind to it.
But I guess that's the problem in the first place.

People don't want to tinker, nowadays, it needs to just werks.
>>
>>54809391
SELinux is open sourced, frequently audited and actually really good. Most distros come without SELinux installed and used by the kernel, also.
>>
>>54809397
Installing gen2 is a meme, just like retarded arch users trying to convince everyone to switch to their "minimal" distro
>>
>>54809185
>What's the recommendation then for someone new to linux?
Lubuntu is fine, but it needs a little more setup than I'd recommend for beginner. Xubuntu and Kubuntu are both good.
>>
>>54809417
How so? I don't like arch because it conflicts with the way I think a distro should be designed for the user experience, but it's a legitimate distribution, as is gentoo. Calling it a meme or their userbase retarded isn't really an argument, anon.
>>
>>54809441
>Calling it a meme or their userbase retarded isn't really an argument
It's all they have
>>
>>54809496
arch user detected
>>
>>54809533
Yup
>>
File: 1287519876733.jpg (9 KB, 210x251) Image search: [Google]
1287519876733.jpg
9 KB, 210x251
>>54807539
>SALSA
>>
>>54809185
Debian. Dive into real linux stop using a distro that thinks you're a baby.
>>
>>54809379
>elementary and mint
>not for new users
>>
>>54807539
>complaining that the ugliest window manger is ugly
>>
>>54807539
>SALSA
wew lad you sure know what you are talking about
>>
File: 1405117568614.jpg (69 KB, 672x712) Image search: [Google]
1405117568614.jpg
69 KB, 672x712
Looks like you got a bum distro m8. Try a different one.
>>
>>54807539
>horrible sound quality
wat?

>font rendering
Looks great by default in 16.04. That's a pretty stupid complaint to level at 'linux'.

>rich text
okay. I'd just open them in MS Office Online or Google Docs if it came to that.

>docky
>shadows
oh you're 12 years old?

>window manager is ugly
Uh yeah, linux sucks. Go back to sucking Nadella's cock if that's more your speed.
>>
>>54807637
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.