[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Human Resource Machine Discuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: hrm_04.png (969 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hrm_04.png
969 KB, 1920x1080
>Human Resource Machine
Discuss
>>
>>54799240
A great way to teach assembly to children and teenagers.
>>
>>54799261
glad to hear that.

How closely does it resemble assembly? What are the main similarities and the main differences?
>>
>>54799327
It's basically some RISC variant with changed up names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language
>>
It's a lot of fun. I only wish they gamified it a bit more. Compared to stuff like SpaceChem or TIS-100 there's not a whole lot the dev actually does with it but it's still really satisfying.
>>
>>54799347
the instruction set looks extremely limited
is there an actual set that resembles this one? or did they just make up a very limited one just for the purpose of playability?
>>
>>54799396
Hell if I know, never played it.

That picture might be on the earlier levels/easy mode for all I know.
>>
>>54799396

Later in the game you get the ability to store memory addresses. Besides that there's also addition and bump +. As far as I can remember that's all the instructions you get.
>>
>>>/v/

reeee
>>
The lines are rather muddy, but it's really more a CISC than a RISC, the way ADD, SUB, BUMP+, and BUMP- work directly with memory locations.

The instruction set is limited, but so is the set of problems you're asked to complete. You're never asked to do anything that the instruction set just can't handle.
>>
>>54799408
Here are the instructions I have access to so far:

>>inbox
reads a symbol from >in
>outbox>
writes a symbol to out>
>copyfrom
can copy values or addresses
>copyto
can copy values or addresses
>add
adds what you're holding (the register) to what's on the floor (memory)
>sub
similar to add
>bump+
increments
>bump-
decrements
>jump
gotogoto
>jump_if_zero
only if value in register is zero
>jump_if_negative
only if value in register is negative
>>
Is it turing-complete?

Does ANYONE in /g/ even know what "turing-complete" means? kek
>>
>>54799516
now that's a good pair of questions
>>
>>54799499
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BooleanFunction.html
Implement an ALU with those functions, implement some memory, implement registers inbetween those, implement a control unit. However you set up the input, the input will go to the control unit based on which command is sent with what paramaters, which will send the aforementioned to the ALU/memory, where logic will be done and sent back to the control unit to the output.

That's a very rough example of what a CPU does. ASM is just a human-readable representation of that.

>>54799516
Is my post turing-complete? :^)
>>
>>54799499
The only thing you don't have yet is the indirect addressing modes for copyfrom, copyto, add, sub, bump+, bump-.

>>54799516

Like most things, it's not, but would be if all of the relevant quantities could be infinite. It would need infinite values in registers (so indirect addressing could work anywhere), an infinite memory size, and an infinite instruction count.
>>
>>54799588
I forgot to mention you can do some compare shit with two's complement with the ALU, as well as either have a dedicated multiply/divide unit or have it pass through the ALU on a loop several times for a similar effect.
>>
TIS 100 is better.
>>
>>54799588
>>54799623
Oh, and bit shift. I completely forgot about that. I love ALU's. Read this I'll stop spamming the thread with my love of ALU's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_logic_unit
>>
>>54799588
>>54799658
Very interesting, thank you.
>>
>>54799624

TIS-100 is great. Microcomputers were never a thing where I lived, so being able to simulate finding some unknown machine and figuring out how it works was a lot of fun.
>>
>>54799240
my girlfriend played a lot of that game
>>
>>54800097
>my girlfriend knows more about assembly than I do
>>
so, anybody here play this game?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.