[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give RoR beginner 10 projects for practice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: C0LaM1h.jpg (29 KB, 851x315) Image search: [Google]
C0LaM1h.jpg
29 KB, 851x315
Give RoR beginner 10 projects for practice
>>
Off yourself.
>>
>>54785313
Learn 10 real languages
>>
>>54785313
http://lmgtfy.com?q=Give+RoR+beginner+10+projects+for+practice
>>
>>54785313
>RoR
>slow
>bloated
>ruby
no
>>
>>54785313
Sup nigga, fellow Rails developer here

Dunno just make what you want. How can you maintain the interest to make something if it's not something you're interested in?

I mean if you are just a beginner and you just want stuff in your portfolio then here's an idea - make a simple e-commerce website:

1. Implement a database of products that are dynamically loaded onto the home page.
2. Implement a product page that dynamically shows the right info for each product, and route it correctly with resourceful routing (so if I go to /products/1 then it will show me the product info for the first entry in the products table, /products/2 shows me the info the second entry in the products table, etc).
3. Implement a shopping basket, using the session, that maintains state as you navigate around the website.
4. Implement a checkout page, that takes the customer's details and saves it into the database, e.g. in a customers table and an orders table (and you might want an addresses table, or you could store the address on the customers table, that's the sort of decision you need to make yourself)

So there you go, you have four pages to develop - home page, product page, shopping basket page, and checkout page. But obviously every one of those pages is dynamic. And you've got to write the back-end stuff to make them all work, obviously.

By the way this idea comes from the web dev module I did at uni, this was essentially our final project. Good little project I think, teaches you the fundamentals pretty well. Hope this helps. If you are more advanced than this stage then apologies, you said beginner so I thought this might help.

>>54785397
>>54785409
>>54785413
>>54785441
Salty af

How's Pooey Homepage Poo coming along?
>>
>>54785652
Oh thanks m8

Also is Rails worth learning?
How hard is it to find a full time job or just do freelance with it?
>>
>>54785710
Well I never learnt Rails until I was offered a job that required it. PHP is what I was taught at uni, which makes sense because it's the widest used one.

HTML, CSS and JS you have to know, obviously. For backend, you may as well learn PHP since it's the most widely used. As long as you CAN do back-end programming, employers don't give a shit what language you are using (for an entry position, anyway), because learning the concepts and methods of back-end programming is the hard part (well it's not that hard), whereas changing between languages is actually pretty easy.

I really can't stress that enough. Stop worrying about "should I learn X? Should I learn Y?" because it's utterly pointless. Every company uses a different set of tools, just know SOME sort of back-end language (and i would probably recommend PHP like I said) and you will be employable.

When it comes to Rails, not many companies use it, but there are still some. But like I said if you just know PHP they will still hire you if you are a good programmer. That's what they're after, a good programmer. Someone who knows the fundamentals of web programming, no matter what it's in.

One thing I will say though is that it could well help you if you know an MVC framework. I didn't when I got my job, I just knew procedural (old school) PHP, but if you do then I'm sure it would help your cause. Rails is an example of an MVC framework. There are quite a few MVC frameworks for PHP, the one that I have used is CodeIgniter, and it's the one I would recommend first, because it's the simplest one (with the shortest learning curve) I've come across. Django is another MVC framework (for Python) - I've never used it but I do see a few jobs/companies that use it. Basically every company will use a framework these days so yeah, that's why knowing MVC can be a help.
>>
File: 1458409383910.jpg (44 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1458409383910.jpg
44 KB, 633x758
>>54785313
>tfw you fell for the ruby meme

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/performance.php?test=nbody
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/performance.php?test=fannkuchredux
>>
Nearest shitting street finder
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.