[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>after years of disinterest in overclocking, finally sit down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 1459171053520.png (37 KB, 658x662) Image search: [Google]
1459171053520.png
37 KB, 658x662
>after years of disinterest in overclocking, finally sit down and learn the process
>in the middle of checking stability
>my i5-4670k isn't the best silicon but can easily reach 4.3GHz on air
>adjusting voltages, experiencing crashes
>finally say fuck it, increase it to the point where it survives IntelBurnTest
>but it crashes while loading some games
>restart and eventually forget about the crash
>update BIOS as it's 7 versions behind
>shit bricks when i remembered my overclock

Anyone else get careless nowadays? A few years ago, i would've slapped my current self for this.
>>
>>54783121
I splilled beer in my cpu last week

idgaf.
>>
>tfw Black Edition Phenom II X2 550
>aftermarket air cooler
>never once bothered with OCing
Tbh my mobo doesn't look like it's very suited for it, doesn't have heatsinks on VRMs
>>
>G3258
>3,2GHz
>Trying to 4GHz
>Crash
>Sweating and shitting bricks
>Back to 3,2GHz
>Me retarded
>>
>>54783380
Are you pushing the cache ratio at the same time as the core?

Most G3258s overclock easy when you leave cache at stock.
>>
Overclocking is a meme. No reason to trade stability, lifespan and low temps for a tiny boost in performance.
>>
>Buy 5820k
>don't overclock it
>browse /g/
>>
>>54783428
This, unless you use AMD and are trying to save some money, there's really no reason to over clock, if you want to spend so much on fans and water cooling systems then you might as well just buy a new processor.
>>
>>54785860
80% of /g/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>54783121
Does it power on or completely dead?
If your board has AMI BIOS, try to format a 4GB (or less) flash-drive into FAT, make it bootable(active), drop the bios file on it, disconnect all devices from your mobo (all drives need to be disconnected), leave only one RAM stick in the first slot next to the CPU, reset CMOS, put the flashdrive in the top-left-most usb port on your motherboard (do not use frontal case port) and turn it on while holding Ctrl+Home. This will initiate BIOS restoration process and the BIOS will be loaded from your flash-drive.
If it's Award BIOS, just google the instructions for it. But in most scenarios it will work with same method as AMI.
It's very old AMI/Award version you have there (pre-2010), it will much likely not work with usb flash drive and you will need to use a cd or floppy.
>>
>>54783428
From an engineering standpoint, yes. My professors have said this over and over about modern CPU's. You trade stability and the lifespan of your CPU for a mild performance increase you probably won't even notice. If you need the performance that bad, buy a new processor.
>>
File: 1418702454021.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1418702454021.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>54787617
I never said it went wrong.
>>
Why would anyone overclock anyway? In most cases it's the ram or any other component that bottlenecks the CPU overclocked or not.
>>
>>54787705
Most Intel CPUs like the 4670k are rated for up to 1.3v, but come out of the box <1.2v. Intel CPUs are rated to work 100% 24/7 at 90c no problem. It's when the temperature approaches 100c that the CPU can start getting damaged, at which point thermal throttling kicks in. Running at 100% usage, 24/7 and at 90c while overclocked won't reduce the lifespan of the chip by a considerable amount. In fact, you'd have upgraded well before any perceived problems. You could even sell it and still have the chip function perfectly for the buyer.
>>
>>54787755
rendering
>>
>>54787755
And then there's other cases where the CPU itself is the bottleneck
>>
>>54787755
If you have AMD and you buy entry-level model like FX-8300 for example, you get at least 10 to 15% extra performance thus making it equal to more expensive factory-overclocked FX-8350 or FX-8370. That is the point of overclock - pay less to get more.
With Intel you cannot do that because of their jewish processor locking policy. But back in the days they used to be like AMD and were allowing overclocking of nearly any model.
>>
>>54783428
This.

There's a reason why CPUs are clocked at certain speeds.

Overclocking ALWAYS introduces more instability, no matter how much testing and cooling you do.
>>
>>54787705
>My professors have said this over and over about modern CPU
What about GPUs?
>>
>>54789780
Bump
>>
>>54789780
Bump
>>
>>54789780
Bump
>>
>>54789780
Bump
>>
File: [gasping for air].jpg (338 KB, 1080x1442) Image search: [Google]
[gasping for air].jpg
338 KB, 1080x1442
>>54789780
Same thing, unless you replace your GPU every other generation, keep it at stock clocks.
>>
>>54794073
Thanks.
>>
>>54783428
>>54786462
>>54787705
>>54789740
Oh look, the shills from BIG CPU are here to feed us their corporate garbage. Everyone say hi to the shills, now.

I've had my CPU OC'd to double its base clock speed for 3 years now with nothing but stock fans, and I've noticed no instability to speak of. The difference is staggering. It's like trying to slide a wooden block down a hill coated in grease vs a hill coated in molasses.
>>
>>54783147
I once used a running cpu to jack off with. Was cool mane
>>
>>54795064
Agreed. Some people forget what that silicon is actually rated for. Reasonable OCing(not talking Dry Ice, LN2, or more than an AIO WC kit), especially w/in manufacture max Vcore, will not reduce lifespan unless temps are left way out of check. Which would be the same if @ stock too.
>>
>>54783121
Dumb frogposter
>>
My 4690K couldn't do 4.5 without increasing the voltage past 1.25v :(
>>
>buy a 4790
>don't overclock because why would I need that
Why?
>>
>>54785860
Are you me?
>>
>>54783395
the fuck am i reading
>>
>own an i5-2500k
>never OC'd it
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.