[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cheapest multimedia setup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1443216262256.jpg (72 KB, 580x387) Image search: [Google]
1443216262256.jpg
72 KB, 580x387
whats the cheapest multimedia setup for a tv?
chromecast?
Kodi?
what you reccomend /g/?
>>
Kodi. Maybe on an Ouya or something. I run HDMI from my computer to my TV.
>>
Amazon fire tv with kodi installed. Easy, cheap and user friendly. Did I mention it has everything?
>>
>>54778505

I run a freenas servers which was a bit of money but most of it was hard drives.

I use plex with chromcast front ends because it worked out of the box.
>>
>>54778710
>

A single freenas server.
>>
File: htpc-Spec-v1.png (359 KB, 937x719) Image search: [Google]
htpc-Spec-v1.png
359 KB, 937x719
Cheapest?
Reuse an old computer for a HTPC and run KODI.

If not there are Chinese android TV boxes of all kinds and prices.

Pic related is my current setup. Got the 5800k new sealed in box for $25 and its been running rock solid for years. Also Logitech keyboard that I got for 10$ and the case, remote control, and power supply I got for free because it was being thrown away.
>>
>>54778530
Roku has the advantage that it can draw power from the usb port of the TV without the need for an AC brick.
>>
>>54778817
that a setup that I was looking for but
2 1tb HHD isn't that a little overkill?
>>
>>54778505
Plex with either a Roku or Chromecast
>>
File: 740541.jpg (194 KB, 800x475) Image search: [Google]
740541.jpg
194 KB, 800x475
>>54779260
>advantage
>>
an SBC like the raspberry pi running OpenELEC is a decent cheap/low power/small complete computer

i haven't used a chromecast, but that with an emby server would probably work well also
>>
>>54779414
I use it as a media center and a server to share media over the house. If you just netflix and chill you need next to no hard drive space.

In my case I rip my bluray collection and a typical good compressed 1080p 5.1 bluray movie is 8-13 GB. I have almost filled up my storage and I'm looking for another large HDD, probably gonna go for a single 6TB.
>>
I got my 2nd gen Chromecast free for using Android Pay 10x so I'm biased but...

Chromecast is the best, controlling multimedia with a touchscreen and apps is way better than using a controller / remote / mouse keyboard...
>>
File: Screenshot_20160528-151259.jpg (742 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160528-151259.jpg
742 KB, 1080x1920
>>54779573
you can browser/control kodi with your phone as well
>>
>>54779770
Yeah maybe.. but Netflix Hulu Youtube HBO GO, etc all support the Chromecast.

You plug it in and run the setup wizard and you are done.
>>
>>54778817
same
my setup:
$30 android box
and
$0 (dumpster dive) net top (netbook hardware inside book-sized pc case.
netbook:
4tb external drive
blazing fast!!!! 2009 atom processor
~30w usage
services:
nzbget: scans rss feed every 20 minutes, auto downloads movies,tv shows, whatever, extracts & uploads to external drive
plex: stupid easy user friendly interface (tech-illiterate family can actually use it)
ftp server (before i found plex)
CCTV service: $85 4mp outdoor security has basic built-in functions like motion detection alerts, ftp uploads & cloud service uploads. i have it setup to upload a 10sec clip to my ftp server (my nettop)

i love this S.O.B. shitty shitty shitty Intel Atom processor but has a great nvidia graphics chip that can play h264/h265 1080p videos without breaking a sweat (cpu stays below 5%)
the only thing i need to setup is a VPN server (not client).
TWC router blocks default windows vpn server ports so i need to find a program that can use non-standard ports.
>>
>>54779260
the fire stick has more content you will ever watch. The fire stick wins fuck face
>>
>>54780121
You sound fat.
>>
>>54780104
Take a look at flexget if you get some time.
>>
>>54780200
no thanks. nzbget does everything i need it to do.
>rss feed scanner
>auto download
>auto extractor
plugins:
video sort: renames files with rss info
%sN/%sN - S%0sE%0e - %eN.%ext
this creates a folder based on the tv show's name
renames video file based on:
(tv show name) - S(season #)E(episode #) - (episode name).(video file extension)
ex:
D:/tv shows/Bones/Bones - S11E17 - The Secret in the Service.mkv
and finally:
pushbullet addon: notifies me when something has been downloaded:
NZBGet [Sucess]
Download of "Bones.S11E17.720p.HDTV.x264-BRISK" has successfully completed.
Average download speed: 10.3 MB/s
Download size: 1.3 GB
Download time: 0:02:06
>>
>>54780343
i had pushbullet on my phone so i could receive those messages whenever something has downloaded but i didnt like how pushbullet couldn't be turned off and sometimes it would wake me up at 3am with a text message so it's now only on my main pc.
>>
>>54780343
Yeah flexget does the fancy shit with pushbullet too.

Its just way easier to use because of the YAML based config and has a huge base of plugins to do pretty much anything.

tv:
series_premiere: yes
configure_series:
listdir:
- /media/odroid/tv/
set:
path: /media/odroid/tv/{{series_name}}/
tasks:
extratorrentsettv-30:
rss: http://extratorrent.cc/rss.xml?type=search&search=ettv
template: tv

Just an example but basically it creates a folder with a shows name and downloads every episode of that show.

If I don't like the show I delete the folder and it stops downloading the eps. If I want to add a show I just create a folder with the shows name.
>>
>>54780376
I stopped using pushbullet too because I never found the notifications useful. I just open my transmission app, only the last 72 hours of torrents are listed because flexget scrubs anything older than that.
>>
I have and old laptop with no screen, no keyboard, and no harddrive running geexbox off an old camera memory card. That's pretty cheap.
>>
>>54780444
i might check it out.
i would definitely play around with it if i could install it on my android box.
i love pushbullet.
it tells me what shows have been downloaded while i was away.
>>
>>54780587
Its cross platform because its written in Python so you can run it anywhere really.
>>
>>54780573
yeah i just have a laptop with a broken screen with 2 4TB external drives running XBMC.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.