[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Window Manager
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: archlinux.jpg (522 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
archlinux.jpg
522 KB, 2170x1070
So guys, I fell for the window manager meme.
I'm so done with the GNOME and GTK crap, and so I'm reinstalling Arch on my laptop and give window managers a try.

What guys suggest me to try as first window manager?
I'm quite tempted to go for Awesome+Compton, but you'll probably be more experienced than me.

Also, I have a 3k screen, so I would need a pretty HiDPI support.

Thanks everyone!
>>
Fuck, wrong image... sry
>>
Awesome is good.
>>
>>54776908
What's that thing at the bottom left?
>>
>>54777487
pipes
>>
>>54777534
Err; source?
>>
>>54777567
https://bpaste.net/show/54bfe247cf45
>>
>>54776897
I am a Ratpoison guy, but i3gaps seems quite popular around here. Yes, Awesome too.
>>
>>54776897
i3 is god tier imo
>>
>>54777310
This. awesome-wm scales perfectly.
>>
>>54777696
Fucking this
/thread
>>
>>54776897

Awesome lives up to its name
>>
>>54776897
>I'm so done with the GNOME and GTK crap, and so I'm reinstalling Arch on my laptop and give window managers a try.
You realize you can install anything on any distro, right? Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and Gentoo all support pretty much every window manager and DE.
>>
>>54776908
osht does anybody have wallpaper

also does anybody know font
>>
>>54778098
Your point being?
>>
bspwm is the only true KISS tiling WM
>>
>>54778511
is it really?
>>
>>54776897
Treewm. It's so good that the code has not needed to be changed since 2003.
>>
Awesome or dwm
>>
bspwm kicks the shit out of everything else
>>
>>54778520
>represents all windows and workspaces as binary space partitions, normally used in 3D graphics engines for dividing 3 dimensional spaces into 2 dimensional planes that are ordered from front to back for easier collision detection and ray tracing
No. Using something as heavy as a BSP-tree to handle windows on a desktop is literally the opposite of "Keep It Simple, Stupid".
>>
>>54776908
>boa - duvet
Fuck, now it'stuck in my head again.
>>
i3 is the best. everyone else is memeing you.
>>
Can you people tell me why your choice is the best? Just telling tge name does't help much.
also: is there a wm with a plaintext config that can tile but is stacking by default?
>>
Tried i3 just a day or so ago, still have it installed.

It is like one of those times when you're doing something and slowly start thinking if you should stop.

I currently use xfce4 and, while it doesn't look as great as anything in the desktop threads, it works. In the first fifteen minutes learning i3, I realized I have to configure the func buttons on my laptop, all of them. I have to configure the font and the location and looks of every single thing on the desktop. For the love of fuck, I have to configure the wallpaper using a conf file, this and many other details I can't remember right now.

Now don't get me wrong. I've been using Arch for around a year now and I'm getting more and more comfortable using conf files and I learn new stuff every day. But triyng i3 actually made me feel like I was "spending" time.
It seriously feels like a time sink, on top of an already kind of time sink distro.
>>
>>54781061
I made the switch from MATE to i3 about two weeks ago. I share some of your feelings about the configuration process being a time sink but in the end it's a one time only thing and I think the end result is worth it.
I find that config files are preferrable to graphical menus, the hardest thing for me is just knowing where they are, but usually there is documentation on the internet regarding them.
All in all, I would never considering going back to a DE after getting comfortable with i3 (it's actually a lot like switching from an average text editor to vim). Not to mention the amount of freed system resources (~500MB of RAM and some GBs of file space.
>>
>>54776897

>So guys, I fell for the window manager meme.

What were you using before? A TTY?
>>
>>54776897

>I'm so done with the GNOME and GTK crap
How are you going to use Firefox if you don't install GTK3?
>>
i3 all the way
>>
I use xfce for daily tasks. It doesnt get in your way and its configurable if you want to/have the time. Tiling WM are a meme
>>
>>54776908
porco dio
>>
>>54781732
Firefox, kek
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.