[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Code Academy is cool and all, but I want to teach myself JavaScript
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: college.jpg (112 KB, 1024x571) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
112 KB, 1024x571
Code Academy is cool and all, but I want to teach myself JavaScript and other stuff AND be able to reference something on my resume that proves I have achieved that skill. Are there any online bootcamps or anything that I actually can reference as proof I have the skill without looking like a complete retard?
>>
>>54774506
Nobody cares about your CodeCademy/CodeSchool/FreeCodeCamp certificates. Make a portfolio page with links to your work.
>>
>>54774944
Noted
>>
>>54774506
w3schools. But it will cost you 90 usd per certificate.
>>
Make a few things to demonstrate you're good at coding in pajeet
>>
>>54774944
This. Online certificates are garbage.
>>
Make stuff and put it on github
>>
>>54774506

Come up with an idea for something useful or fun that will take a fair amount of time and involve useful, difficult skills, complete it, do it well, and put it in a portfolio. You'd be surprised how well this can work for entry level jobs

I had all sorts of projects like this in my resume at 18:

> (Python) App to convert proprietary email formats to Outlook that I wrong on a short term contracting gig
> (Python) A P2P instant messaging program with an IRC frontend, with documentation + flowcharts of the networking model (this was my HS senior project actually). Basically you'd run the daemon, connect an IRC client to it on localhost, send a command to join a channel and another with an initial peer IP. The backend would use that peer to find other peers on that channel, and then those peers would also send their matching peers, etc, until you basically had a regular IRC environment but with a decentralized backend. Peers would be saved.
> (PHP) A personal website running a custom CMS (wrote it in middle school and updated over time to be better)
> Details about my home lab (FreeBSD, nginx, php-fpm, mysql, memcached) and experience with mediawiki on it, as well as info about how I secured it and dealt with scaling issues (it was sort of the home base for that Chanology shit in 2008, until someone else offered to host it and I stopped caring)
> (Python) A website stress testing utility (actually just a somewhat update/rebranded version of a DDoS tool I wrote at 14 or so and peddled around /b/ from about 2005-2009 for raids)
> A well-documented incident response report from a time when my sister's computer got a trojan that was DoSing the whitehouse, and I found the trojan, determined the C&C, reverse engineered it to then get access to the C&C while impersonating a bot, found the botnet owner, used his username+ident+whois to find his social media accounts, found his personal info including full name and address, notified his ISP/government/parents
>>
Taking a quality class on Machine Learning from Coursera/Stanford right now. Opted to do it for free but you can get a certificate. I'd rather make a project after it and demonstrate my knowledge that way, but you can buy certis.
>>
>>54774506
CodeAcademy is actually straight garbage for anything, honestly, especially resume padding; none of the courses are made by anyone who has a teaching background so you're basically going through what LPTHW does and typing shit out without a whole lot of reason why.

Example - in their PHP course, they go over loops. Pretty standard, but they just say "ok this is a loop and this is what it looks like. NOW YOU TYPE IT." There's no real background given on what you can do with it or proper examples of implementation; most textbooks will have multiple in-chapter samples that do that with follow-up explanations as to at least HOW the program works.

You're going to want to do what these guys have said:
>>54775137
>>54775821
>>54776600
Doesn't matter if you're a webshit, a pajeet, a neet, or a Haskell fan; the more interesting/useful stuff you make independently, the better you look.
>>
>>54776600

> A well-documented incident response report from a time when my sister's computer got a trojan that was DoSing the whitehouse, and I found the trojan, determined the C&C, reverse engineered it to then get access to the C&C while impersonating a bot, found the botnet owner, used his username+ident+whois to find his social media accounts, found his personal info including full name and address, notified his ISP/government/parents

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce... turbonerd.
>>
>>54778266

Hey, I'm doing alright for myself, especially considering the state of my finances given my age (24). Years of being a turbonerd paid off.
>>
>>54774506
If you're learning Javascript on Code Academy, be aware that they don't teach you how to apply it to actual web programming, like accessing the DOM and events and stuff. They immediately point you to JQuery or Angular, which you shouldn't start with until you have a good grip on plain JS.
>>
>>54774506
>reference something on my resume

make a fucking website then, retard.
>>
>>54776600
You were pretty cool until you ruined fortune.
>>
>>54779363

Yeah, sorry about that, my bad.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.