[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with chinkphones? What's the catch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: chinkphones0.jpg (275 KB, 2183x726) Image search: [Google]
chinkphones0.jpg
275 KB, 2183x726
What's the deal with chinkphones?
What's the catch?

>significantly better specs
>cheaper or similar price

Is it just no warranty and no updates? Because you can buy a chinkphone every year and still save money than if you'd bought a flagship every 2 years. Some of these phones are even cheaper than the repair cost of a standard phone.

>no updates
Just buy the latest model every year for the latest updates brah.
>>
File: chinkphones1.jpg (189 KB, 1636x716) Image search: [Google]
chinkphones1.jpg
189 KB, 1636x716
>>54763508
And here's something a little closer to flagship tier specs.
>>
Just like clothes, you shouldn't buy portable electronics without seeing them first and see if they fit. Chinkphones have pretty shitty build quality and might have glitches out the ass. Ordering that shit online is asking for receiving bricks.
>>
The catch is you're using Chinese slave labor to fuel your consumerism. Thankfully the Chinese absorb the entirety of the "catch" for us
>>
>>54763611
Isn't that the same when you buy an iPhone or Samsung or any other brands?
>>
>>54763508
The catch is you have to scrutinize the frequencies it uses to make sure the phone actually works in your area on your preferred carrier, lest you get stuck with a nonfunctioning brick or something that can only use 2G.
>>
>>54763688
So you have to do 5 minutes research before buying it?

>willmyphonework dot net

>>54763576
Reviews don't mention many, if any, glitches at all. Only one I can recall is some issue with hardware acceleration in asphalt 8 for the ulefone power
>>
>>54763658
It's the same when you buy almost every non-perishable product.
>>
>>54763515
Yes but then again, Xiaomi phones have chinese backdoors. Also it doesn't have the warranty / reliability which more common brands have. Bought a chinese dual boot tablet a while back, and it won't turn on when shutdown on Android sometimes. Very weird stuff like that.
>>
>>54763508

Few reasons.

Samsung, Apple and HTC are all pushing their mid to high end models as premium as there's better margins there. There's massive markup on these. Western markets don't care how much premium costs as they generally get them on plans.

Second, related to the above, they have larger distribution channels and advertising networks, which adds cost. Also, don't forget to factor in the retailers mark up. Chinese manufacturers don't have extensive international channels, only online channels, which brings down cost.

Third, the Chinese's individual buying power has traditionally been low but is improving at a rapid rate. No point in pricing something at a point where nobody can afford it.

Lastly, features - the Redmi Note 3 has been lamented for not including bands 20 and 28; this saves them the licencing costs from Qualcomm. This is just one example. Updates and support are another two.

Lastly, it's also got to do with their target market (international versus China domestic) and what competitive strategy they pursue. Big Western brands are going for differentiation with their premium offerings, while the Chinese ate aiming for low cost. Keep in mind that low cost != low quality though, it just means they have the lowest cost base, which you can see above.

Keeping all this in mind I got my other half a Note 3. All the benefits of a low cost brand and device, and it's so popular that we'll see CM and other ROMs rapidly ported to it, decreasing the risk of no support. The only downside is lack of band 28 in Ausfailia but given where we live it's an acceptable downside to the closest Western alternative at half the price inclusive of accessories (S7 grey import)

I think that about sums it up but I could drivel on for hours
>>
>>54764447
This all seems rather interesting. I have yet to see a negative review of the latest Chinese smartphones I've seen, aside from some low ratings for Oukitel K4000/6000 cameras, which apparently aren't too good. However, that line of phones really appeals to me because they seem to have everything else covered.
So I don't know, it really does look like a good investment to me. And the fact they practically use stock ROM makes it all more appealing.
>>
>>54764494
Search forums for saps who bought one of those phones and you will see where the truth is.
Youtube has more shills than this board.
>>
>>54763576
Fuck off.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Oukitel-K4000-Pro-Smartphone-Review.162581.0.html

http://www.xiaomitoday.com/leagoo-shark-1-review/

http://www.gizmochina.com/2015/07/08/letv-le-one-pro-x800-review-the-best-smartphone-on-the-market-video/

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_3_snapdragon-review-1405.php
>>
>>54764547
Oh I don't watch youtube reviews, they're all awful no matter the subject. But I'll check the forums for sure, even though a lot of the people who post in these are technologically impaired.
>>54764632
Now that's more like it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-27-18-46-17.png (191 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-27-18-46-17.png
191 KB, 1080x1920
>>54764547
This is the only result I get for "oukitel not working" on Google, over and over again.

Also some random on facebook who had their camera lense fall out.

Considering they sell thousands worldwide I'm surprised it's not more than just these 2 from your reaction.
>>
File: image_69.jpg (57 KB, 599x564) Image search: [Google]
image_69.jpg
57 KB, 599x564
It's hilarious though, how people are expecting updates for their $99 chinkphones.

One of the ways they keep costs down is by not bothering with software support, though oukitel does release a few small updates and have promised marshmallow updates for their k series, we've yet to see it. They did release a CM rom though.
>>
>>54764796
They released CM for them. When was the last time a big western company did this. But yeah well never see any updates right?
>>54764743
And he didnt received it dead he fucked around with it.
>>
File: 1463007592301.gif (1 MB, 294x350) Image search: [Google]
1463007592301.gif
1 MB, 294x350
>>54763508
>tfw want to order a k6000 pro
>decide to wait until they start shipping for third party reviews before buying
>see prices as low at 199 aud on aliexpress
>check prices today
>nothing under 250aud

FeelsBadMan.PNG

At least I can see reviews before giving them my money
>>
>>54764969
There are many reviews about the non pro claiming build quality is good. You can look up benchmarks of the MT6753 and Mali-T720..
>>
>>54765057
I could, but rom is important too.
I could just look at the ulefone power and decide to buy the oukitel, same SoC and mostly same specs, but the oukitel has a bigger screen.

Also.

http://www.kimovil.com/en/oukitel-k4000-pro/antutu

http://www.kimovil.com/en/leagoo-elite-5/antutu

http://www.kimovil.com/en/oukitel-k10000/antutu

These phones have the same specs but all get different antutu scores.

I wanted specific k6000 pro reviews.
>>
>>54764547
Did a search, not many failures, or at least not many that have gone online about it. That implies 2 things.

>the phones are durable and well built
Or
>they offer good customer service so people don't complain about broken devices

I'm going to go with the first option because it makes more sense.
>>
>>54763611
Same as with non chinkphones then.
>>
I've snapped up the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro and it's great. Completely BTFOs phones up to double it's price in terms of performance, battery, having a micro sd card slot and build quality.
>>
>>54765525
Can't wait for my redmi 3 pro to arrive
>>
>>54764833

Sony releases ASOP roms for all their devices.

There is currently an Android N testing rom you can download for Z2 and later devices.
>>
>>54764048
I have the Note 3 pro and it's pretty damn good, except for the camera which is a pile of crap
Battery is top tier, screen is mediocre coming off a Samsung, but performance is really good.
Software is a little behind though, I'm on the beta and still waiting for marshmallow
>>
Bought a Redmi 3 for 120eurodollars. The camera is fucking amazing and good phone overall, battery lasts for a week. 10/10
>>
>>54766592
Yeah sony is even contributing good stuff for aosp they are good goys I'm currently shitposting from my m2 backup phone. Still overpriced after looking at what you can get at the chinkphone market.
>>
>>54767075
I wanted a Sony, but they're phones are either premium or mediocre.

Ordered the redmi 3 pro instead.
The screen protector I ordered 10 minutes after paying for the phone came in today, hopefully the phone will be here next week.
>>
>>54767121
Would have got this too but since i have a backup phone i can wait till october for the k6000pre releasem i want that 6gb ram monstrum.
>>
>>54763658
Actually not all smartphones are assembled in China. Mine says made in Korea.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-27-23-33-40.png (509 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-27-23-33-40.png
509 KB, 1080x1920
Should I get it?
>>
>>54763611
What is making me rage about this is that apple is known to use children in theirs factories and they have the money to do it the good way. They even had to put nets infront of the windows to prevent suicide.
>>
>>54767348
Ye but if you can wait for the premium
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-27-23-48-50.png (498 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-27-23-48-50.png
498 KB, 1080x1920
>>54767395
Won't the premium cost more? Not sure if I want to spend more than 200 aud for my first chinkphone.

Also anyone here know if coolicool is legit?
>>
>>54767622
It will probably cost about 350$ .
Ask at /csg about the seller they have more routine.
>>
>>54767622
Xiaomi Redmi 3 is better.
>>
>>54768267
>720p screen
>4100mAh
But why?
>>
>>54764447
>"other half"
>my
jej
>>
>>54763508
No updates , no d e s i g n a t e d tech support
>>
The worst part of getting my chinkphone was the shipping, and even then the problems were on USPS's end, not the chinks. Pretty much everything about the phone itself is great.
>>
The build quality is going to be garbage. The good chinese phones are barely cheaper tahn the ones from real brands.
>>
>>54772618
Look up reviews build quality is good some are better than western low budget phones.
>>
AVOID, IT'S

CANCER
A
N
C
E
R
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.