[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenStack vs ESXi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: The_OpenStack_logo.svg.png (161 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
The_OpenStack_logo.svg.png
161 KB, 2000x2000
What benefits does OpenStack have over ESXi?

My work is considering going from ESXi 5.5 to some sort of OpenStack setup, and they have no idea what benefits it has or how to migrate from ESXi.

They've got <100 VMs and 5 fair sized storage arrays, what does /g/ think? I have to give reasoning for either staying on VMware or OpenStack.

Also, what OpenStack distro is good?
>>
>they have no idea what benefits it has or how to migrate from ESXi

then they shouldnt be considering doing that in the first place. sounds like they simply cannot afford vmware, and in this case you pay to play with the big dogs.

esxi works great (we use over 1400 guests at my shop), and if you are pure windows then hyper-v works great as well. esxi works much better with linux guests

the only other alternative is MAYBE kvm, but when you are in business going with something just because its open source doesnt mean shit, because you will still have to call someone to fix problems.
>>
For what purpose? Openstack is used to build a private cloud and can sit on top of Vsphere setups. I doesn't even implement HA directly.
>>
>>54758324
Red hat has a commercially supported KVM solution.
>>
>>54758324
They've got more liscences than they have hosts, money probably isn't the issue, they just want to explore their options
>>
>>54758403
If it's just a technical evaluation on a dev environment I don't see much of a issue.
But what's the problem with the current setup? What problem are you trying to solve.
>>
>>54758460
They don't even have any issues that I know of, they're in the early stages of falling for a meme
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.