[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I do with Matlab?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: matlablogo.jpg (66 KB, 327x234) Image search: [Google]
matlablogo.jpg
66 KB, 327x234
What can I do with Matlab?
>>
>>54754879
You can retroactively abort yourself
>>
You can uninstall it
>>
>>54754879
make a pepe graph
>>
>>54754879
Simulate cool shit, like firing of neurons.
>>
will Matlab do my maths exam for me?
>>
You can calculate the number of extra chromosomes you have.

Hint: The answer is one.
>>
>>54754879
Making quick code drafts for numerical stuff that would otherwise be pretty lengthy.

A = meshgrid(-1.5:.01:.49) + 1i * transpose ( meshgrid(-1.0:.01:0.99) );
B = zeros(200, 200);
C = zeros(200, 200);
for k = 1:128
B = B.^2 + A;
C = C + ( abs(B) < 2.0 );
end;
imagesc(C);
>>
>>54754879
It's a good calculator for plug and chug equations and optimization problems, but numpy is better for more intensive calculations.
>>
>>54754879

help you get a degree in stem
>>
>>54755014
And yes

>>54754879
Keep in mind op, matlab is shit.
Let me explain, matlab is c, fortan and Java based so learn c, fortan and you ll be fine!

>now uninstall matlab
>>
I study physics and we use matlab a lot. Really useful for me
>>
File: 8_5_m.png (25 KB, 461x316) Image search: [Google]
8_5_m.png
25 KB, 461x316
Replace it with GNU Octave and find a given pattern in an image.
Pictures: two instances of the pattern I gave the program were found in the image and marked in green.
>>
>>54755264
Also studying physics and I we used it as well in few undergrad courses. Now I'm at the end of grad school and it feels like nobody but me uses it, but it's really extremely useful if I just want to see whether an idea will work or not. Most of the people who keep bitching about are CS students who were forced to use it even though they are hardly the target audience.
>>
>>54755330
seconding octave
>>
>>54755330
Octave doesn't have a strong image processing/computer vision toolbox as far as i remember.
>>
>>54755382
That's why you learn to program instead of copypasting libraries and hoping for the best, Pajeet.
>>
>>54755352
Ikr. Did you also use simulink? Shit was so useful for mechanics. I'm still in 1st year though kek, shit is hard as fuck
>>
>>54754879
hate yourself.
>>
>>54754879

Nothing you cant do with python.
>>
>>54755394
> Loses time implementing something that already exists
Have fun expanding the state of the art 5 years late.

Matlab is for prototyping, if you're reinventing the wheel then you're using it wrong.
>>
>>54755429
But it doesn't already exist for Octave, like you said.
> prototyping
Which is why it's easy to implement simple functions that MATLAB kiddies import from libraries.
> hurr durr why would anyone program something that already exists
Learning experience, alternative implementation, alternative (free) version, demonstration purposes, exact thing I want doesn't exist and reverse-engineering some cryptic API just so you can slightly modify it is just as much work.
>>
>>54755403
No, we only used it for an introductory course in numerical methods and then every now and then in various courses. There are courses that put more emphasis on MATLAB though, i.e. some course on accelerator physics that uses some toolbox to simulate e-dynamics. Most of the stuff I did in grad school used Python (with numpy, scipy and matplotlib).

By the way, it's getting a lot better after your second year. Then you got the basics together and you don't have to stay up all night to get exercises done.
>>
>>54755499
Dude not everybody is a code monkey with that much free time. Programming is a tool for me and I only use more low-level stuff when I need the performance. Usually it's not necessary.
>>
MATLAB is used in engineering, so most /g/tards won't use it. You can do quick image processing, analyze large amounts of data, do matrix operations very easily, and it has built in GPU acceleration to boot.
I didn't like the MATLAB course I took because I would rather have been doing C++ or Java or some other language, but looking back, there's plenty of things you can easily do in MATLAB that would be much more time consuming in other languages.
>>
>>54755536
> low-level stuff
> Octave
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Seriously, what I posted here >>54755330 was part of my Bachelor thesis and is maybe 250 lines excluding comments, I program with a lot of whitespace and didn't make any effort to optimize for space or runtime.
>>
>>54755503
I just had like 2 months matlab/simulink and we use it now and then for mathematics. Matrices, eigenvectors ect. I don't know man I live in Holland. Don't know if my study corresponds with any study in the US. I just use the giancoli book physics for scientists and engineers. Don't know if you're familiar with it?
>>
>>54754879

Matlab is one of those programms where you either know exactly why you use it or you don't need it at all.
>>
>>54755633
I didn't try to imply that Octave is "low-level stuff". I use different languages for different purposes and if I want to show my supervisor an idea and need some plots for illustration, then I use "simple functions that MATLAB kiddies import from libraries". It's simply the wrong moment to tinker around with stuff that has been done before and is absolutely trivial. Nobody is going to congratulate me for that.
>>
I used matlab a lot in my engineering degree. Very useful if you need to get shit done and don't mind the extra minutes it takes over a proper programming language. Saves a lot of time when you aren't using a script enough times to justify tuning it for performance.

Scilab and octave can do everything matlab does but the advantage is the massive amount of tools and functions pre built or avaliable online that matlab has.
>>
>>54754915
No, but it can make you cum in your professor
>>
Matlab is fine and some of its toolboxes are alright, but a ton are inadequate and badly designed. As far as speed goes, matlab is ~terrible but only compared to C and the likes.
Octave is on the other hand not nearly as much as useful as matlab, wheter its functionality, support, and certainly not if its speed you want. Octave benchmarks are devastating compared to Matlab

Matlab is great for linear algebra and maybe some fourier stuff but doesnt really excel in much else

I reccoment python
>>
>>54756557
>I reccoment python
Python's numpy is even slower than MATLAB though. Some algorithms even by a lot.
>>
>>54755238
>>54755238
only if he installs a freeware knockoff

my old engineering professor literally told us to just get the open source alternative because these streets are REAL
>>
>>54754879
>using non free programming language

Use R instead
>>
Simulink was fun, recently I've created a digital clock display.
>>
Matlab is great for protyping

write a function and throw an array of variables through it

However, if you want to do more than a few hundred iterations, its gonna be slow.

But normally for those sized projects you have at least one software engineer to draft something up for you.
>>
>>54755014
You can use .' instead of transpose.
>>
can't you do math stuff with it?
>>
>>54755633
Not him but I use phased array toolbox in MATLAB and let me tell you, if you are an engineer and not a codemonkey, people will laugh at you for trying to reinvent the wheel and write simulators for every case.
>>
I was always using MATLAB for work, but recently I switched to python in spyder witth numpy/matplotlib, some libraries are just better. Though I'm still not fluent in python (and english).
>>
>>54756985
That depends on how much you use for loops. Vectorizing operations usually give similar performance.

Also, Python imho allows much cleaner code instead of being forced to have one public function per Matlab script.
>>
>>54755330
Matlab is unbelievably terrible. Everything (EVERYTHING) is a double under the hood, one function per file, etc.

But Octave is much, much worse. It is a dogshit ripoff which is many times slower, and almost but not quite compatible.

Open source software that tries to clone commercial software is stupid and cancer. Numpy/Scipy and (even moreso) Julia are both better than Matlab, and free.
>>
>>54756038
No, it will find the amount of time your semen reaches the professor given the distance, trajectory and speed.
>>
>>54757857
cool clock, Ahmed
>>
Use methlab instead.
Any job you want, 100k starting, free hookers
>>
What makes python so great? Everyone in physics seems to use it for computational stuff.
>>
>>54761977
Scripting languages makes it a lot faster/easier to write things in a lot less lines than other programming languages.
>>
>>54761977
it's got a lot of really good physics-orientated libraries. the built-in libraries (e.g. scipy) are also really good. price also comes into it as most physics depts. are either poor or too stingy to spend money on software

>>54761912
you don't know true pain until you've used maple. matlab is a fucking walk in the park by comparison
>>
>>54761977
don't need brackets for multiple statements (just indentation), much less parenthesis and semicolons than usual. don't need to declare the type before using a variable. little verbose.
great for non-programmers.
>>
>>54762088
Mathematica is actually pretty fucking terrible as well.
>>
>>54758518
Yes. It's very useful, however there are just things that are more efficient at it.

It's like an Arduino. There are shit tons of other, better microcontrollers out there, but both Arduino and Matlab are so entrenched that it's tough to supplant them and they have an incredibly vast library of stuff for you to use.
>>
>>54754879
Prototyping quick numerical shit, like DSP and neural networks.
But definitely it's not good for implementation.
>>
>>54754879
i only use it for NN, forecasting, pattern recognition and shit
>>
OOP lol.
>>
>>54761912
> open source
It's actually Free software, not just open source.
>>
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're referring to as Octave, is in fact, GNU Octave, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Octave by the GNU project.
>>
>>54756038
>make you cum in your professor
>make
That doesn't sound consensual.
>>
>>54762716
What are you, some kind of math prude?
>>
File: Angry_Pepe.jpg (39 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Pepe.jpg
39 KB, 900x900
>>54762716
>he can get consensual sex

REEEEE NORMIES LEAVE
>>
Matlab is a steaming pile of shit in so many ways. Between Mathematica and Python they do everything Matlab does far better.
>>
File: snap.gif (429 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
snap.gif
429 KB, 320x240
>>54754885
>>
>>54754879
It's Turing-complete, so you can do literally anything any computer can do right now.
>>
>>54755225
Nah just the e
>>
matlab is pretty good imo
>stability analysis
>controller design
>decent plotting
>interfaces with pretty much everything
>great for matrix computation
>decent statistical toolbox
>>
>>54755204
>numpy is better for more intensive calculations.
matlab has way more than numpy at this point and it is better optimized, and better documented.
>>
>>54754879
a lot of folks in here shitting on matlab because they had some shitty linalg or numerical methods class that made them use it for a few things.

in reality it is one of the best tools out there for several domains (applied and research). if you already work in one of those domains you will realize that most everyone else in the domain is using it and for good reason. so there's really no reason to go around asking whether you can use matlab for something. just use the same tools that everyone else in your field are using.

i used matlab exclusively when doing research in probabilistic graphical models (bayesian networks). it is very popular in that field. it is the fastest way to do methods development in machine learning (methods development meaning you can't use off-the-shelf packages because you are actually tinkering with the algorithms themselves).

if you understand what it is doing under the hood it is very easy to get it's performance to be very good. depending on the SIMD nature of what you are doing, you might be able to outperform naive C code, because you will get SSE, BLAS/LAPACK, and multi-core acceleration for free on array/vectorized operations.

i always programmed in vim and used the non-GUI console, but the IDE has many features and is intuitive. it has a great profiler built in which will help you learn how to speed up sections of your code.

you can easily link in C code, and the API is well-documented (unlike some such options in the numpy/scipy world).

the other advantage to matlab honestly is that there aren't a billion different options to be bewildered by. e.g. what is PyPy, Cython, numexpr, pandas, etc. etc. with matlab you are in the matlab ecosystem and you don't have to think about cobbling together a bunch of different packages and assessing each one individually.
>>
File: 1458940105090.jpg (29 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1458940105090.jpg
29 KB, 540x720
>>54754879
gay ass homework assignments
>>
>>54754879
You delete it and install R

Any other people here whose work is based on R?
>>
>>54755669
That's really funny. I have been using c, fortran, python, mathematica, etc for physics, but I found out the group I'm entering has all of their code written in matlab, so I'm taking a little time to learn that this summer and I'm doing so by working examples in giancoli. I guess it isn't that amazing since his book is pretty popular.
>>
>>54754949
giggled
>>
>>54763859

I use R for my intro stats uni course.

Working on my final assignment right now actually.
>>
>>54755238
>>54757113

ugh same, professor made us install and use scilab...
>>
>>54763525
This.

Matlab greatest strength, the main reason it should be used, is the \ operator and in that regard bumpy can't even come close.
>>
>>54755238
>Spending forever figuring out which matrix inversion function you should use.
>Not just using Matlab.
Okay sperglord.

Don't get me wrong, when performance matter you are obviously going to fuck Matlab in the bin and use Fortran or C, but Matlab is excellent for the rapid development of concepts and ideas.
>>
>>54754879
Don't you mean 'What CAN'T I do with MATLAB?'
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMRB4O922I
>>
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>54764933
Why post this here?
>>
File: nudge-nudge-monty-python-105.jpg (59 KB, 694x480) Image search: [Google]
nudge-nudge-monty-python-105.jpg
59 KB, 694x480
>>54764933
I would let her have my Mandelbrot, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>54754879
Be a complete sperg.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.