[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just installed ubuntu 16.04 on my computer. How do I install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: tuxsteam.png (61 KB, 350x408) Image search: [Google]
tuxsteam.png
61 KB, 350x408
I just installed ubuntu 16.04 on my computer. How do I install steam on this? I just installed steam with command sudo apt-get install steam but when I open steam all it would do is pop up on my left side bar, flash a couple of time and then close out.

wat to do
>>
>he fell for the gaymen in linux meme
>>
>>54753957
Run steam from a terminal and see if it prints out any helpful error messages.
>>
sudo apt purge steam

go to the steam website and download the .deb file from there, try installing that instead.
>>
Is u R srs
Use Google
Or
Ubuntu software centre.
You HAVE to know how to Google things if you wanna use gnu/Linux
>>
File: screenshot.png (46 KB, 742x237) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
46 KB, 742x237
>>54753988
I got this.
>>54753991
Just tried to do that.
>>54753993
I've tried to google this problem and steam isn't in the software center.
>>
apt-get install steam worked flawlessly on debian stretch
>>
>>54753957
Maybe you downloaded the 64 bit version for your 32 bit instruction set architecture. Did you download x86 or i386/i686. Whats you specs?
>>
>>54754044
It's not reading your drivers corrcttly.

Try the apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
Then try the Ubuntu driver updated thing in unity.
If it doesn't work, steams package might be buggy, if all else fails (or start with this, doesn't really matter) install the .deb from steams website
>>
>>54754044

I've got it running fine on Arch but I'm a linux noob myself.

If I had to guess, it is having issues finding the graphics card driver. It is attempting to use nouveau but it can't find it (driver pointer missing). Symbol lookup error might be an issue with a symbolic link.

What card do you have?

If Nvidia, look up how to remove nouveau and install the proprietary nvidia drivers, they work the best.

Have you checked for package updates?
>>
>>54754044
Yea >>54754089
and if you don't get anywhere there google 'nouveau driver pointer error ubuntu 16.04' and sift through the answers posted on ubuntuforums and maybe register there.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.