[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello everyone. I don't know about the specs of modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: qx10.jpg (125 KB, 1213x757) Image search: [Google]
qx10.jpg
125 KB, 1213x757
Hello everyone.

I don't know about the specs of modern pc software.

I' looking for a recommendation for a computer under 800$ that's fast and can install copious amounts of software.

It's primary purpose is to be a programming studio for me to make apps in.
The languages will be python, c++, java and html.

If any one can recommend me some good hardware I'd appreciate it. I just don't know where to start to look.

As far as OS I want to use gnu/linux, hate windows it's all spyware, hate apple, it's total junk.
>>
>>54753524
>I don't know about the specs of modern pc software.

Shit I meant hardware.
>>
Laptop or desktop?
>>
>>54753531
Laptop, I'm a starving college student and I never know when I have to couch surf.

I'm hoping this laptop will last a long time.
I'm totally willing to build my own if it makes it last longer as long as it's within budget of 800$
>>
>>54753557
>>54753531
I have a chrome book and I was thinking of putting linux on it but I don't think it has the power to create and emulate programs on it.
>>
>>54753557
Look into a Thinkpad T420 or a "business grade" laptop of different brand.

Stay away from modern laptops. Locked down internals, Windows 10 default, and generally overly glossy screens.

Make sure whatever models you are looking at are user upgradable. That alone will add years to your machine's life.
>>
Also if you recommend anything made by ASUS I will have to politely ask you to leave.
>>
>>54753594
Can I shop for these on amazon?
Should i just Google thinkpad t420

>the 420 thing isn't a weed joke right?
>>
>>54753594
I'm checking these out online right now and I have to wonder, do these laptops have the power necessary to be a programming studio?

I will need to run emulators and other studio software.
>>
>>54753644
They have some refurbished ones on amazon I believe, but your best best would be to look on ebay or something like that. You can find these machines for under $300 normally.

>the 420 thing isn't a weed joke right?
No, it's the actual model name of the machine. Thinkpad T series generally increment by 10 each new model since the 4xx series.
>>
>>54753669
I did 4 years of c++, c#, javascript, html, etc. with this machine during undergrad. Upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16gb, throw in an SSD, and you will be fine.
>>
>>54753692
Okay, thanks for all your help.

Are all t420s user upgradeable or do I have to look for one specifically?
>>
>>54753736
All T420s are user upgradable. Anything up to the newest T460s are user upgradable, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>54753758
Ok great, thanks!
>>
File: ultramarine.jpg (36 KB, 455x400) Image search: [Google]
ultramarine.jpg
36 KB, 455x400
>>54753524
>I don't know about the specs of modern pc
>make apps
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.