[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How safe is a career in coding from automation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: o-AUTOMATION-facebook.jpg (944 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-AUTOMATION-facebook.jpg
944 KB, 2000x1000
How safe is a career in coding from automation?
>>
>>54742815
Why would the people writing the software for this robot even do it?
>>
Pretty safe
Safer than most
>>
>>54742859
Couldn't you develop technology to learn to code and code faster than humans though?
>>
>>54742815
Industrial Engineer here. You're all fucked. I'll hire 50 chinks and 30 dot heads for the price of 1 American. Imma lean hour asses all out of jobs. If I need something coded well ill slap it together myself using modules you probably made.
>>
>>54742872
Then learning to direct those machines appropriately would become the new definition of programming, and so on
>>
>>54742976
Those machines could become self improving
>>
>>54743013
>what is machine learning

Something you still need programmers for.
>>
>>54742815
Coders get replaced by automation all the time. Something you wrote for every client gets replaced by a software package or software as a service. This is automation and arguably it hits hardest to the coders because the ones who do the automation are coders themselves as well. It's intuitive to start automating your own work first.
It's not safe from automation at all. What you do is hope the automation comes in small increments so you can keep your skills up to date with the technology that constantly changes. Jobs where you learn something in school and keep doing the same thing the rest of your career are disappearing.
>>
>>54742815
>"coding"
>job security
post more memes
>>
Feels good to be a hardware developer.
>>
>>54742815
It's safer than most careers. If you want to be a bootcamp code monkey then I guess you might be in trouble in 10-15 years but if actually know your shit you are pretty safe.
>>
>>54742815
For the time being, but your job will be outsourced to India
>>
>>54742872
Probably not.

People always cite compilers and shit as being more efficient than humans writing Assembly, but the thing is all cases compilers use to optimize were fed to it by programmers
>>
some psuedo-AI has already been used to design new algorithms, but we're not anywhere near automating software design as we know it for decades
>>
>>54743543
>Coders
stopped reading
>>
>>54742890
So you do need us?
>>
>>54746642
it seems complexity has a positive upwards trending relationship with automation

That doesn't necessarily mean that being a mindless codemonkey is the best "career" path
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.