[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Speakers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: speaker.jpg (45 KB, 566x849) Image search: [Google]
speaker.jpg
45 KB, 566x849
I need some advice on speakers. I'm buying some for my stereo cabinet and I'm looking at the thrift store because I'm cheap.

But every speaker I find has no fucking audio plug on the end of the cord. It's just bare wire. Like, what the fuck? Why is this and is there any way to attach a plug without a soldering iron?
>>
>>
File: ur doing it rong faggit.jpg (133 KB, 743x575) Image search: [Google]
ur doing it rong faggit.jpg
133 KB, 743x575
>>54742214
>But every speaker I find has no fucking audio plug on the end of the cord. It's just bare wire. Like, what the fuck?

That's because you need an audio receiver to drive it. It has no amplifier or DAC.

Buy a receiver that's strong enough to drive the speaker and takes a signal your source can provide. There should be plenty of audio receivers at the thrift store.
>>
>>54742214
>>54742960

Forgot to mention that the receiver has connectors that take the two wires from each speaker.
>>
File: Binding post.jpg (81 KB, 450x738) Image search: [Google]
Binding post.jpg
81 KB, 450x738
>>54742214
>>54742601
>>
>>54743000
>>54742960

Okay, I'll look. I had two speakers that came with the stereo cabinet that had audio plugs at the end of the cables and just plugged into the jack on the stereo cabinet. They broke though.
>>
>>54742214
You don't really need fancy plugs, bare wire is fine. The plugs are just for neat freaks and people who are constantly plugging and unplugging their gear (like in a studio). They avoid frayed, ugly wire ends. But if you're just assembling once and they'll stay there, you don't need it at all. I have plugs in my main system because I'm a placebophile and I want gold tips on my unnecessarily thick cables, but my bedroom system is bare wire because no woman will ever see it.
>>
>>54743382
Some speakers have amplifiers built in them, usually sold as "PC speakers" or "phone sound systems". If you only want stereo from a 3.5mm jack, they're probably your best bet.

But if you want a more powerful or more complex sound set up, get a 5.1 receiver and some old speakers.
>>
>>54743382

>>stereo cabinet

what do you mean, like a the back end of a stereo receiver?

what country are you from?

why don't you post a pic of the receiver?
>>
>>54743472
>5.1
Kill urself

No but seriously that's not terrible advice, a decent stereo integrated costs more than an ok 5.1 receiver, although some of those $90 class D alibaba amps look like they could be alright

Just don't fall for the TA2020 meme
>>
>>54743491

It's really nothing to look at. It's a big old cabinet with a turntable on top, two tape players on the front. The back just has two audio jacks on it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.