[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam on Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: share_steam_logo.png (21 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
share_steam_logo.png
21 KB, 512x512
I just switched from Windows 8.1 to Ubuntu. I am attempting to install steam, but it automatically installs to my main drive, which is full (I was retarded enough to only give it 7.5GB). How do I choose what directory to install to?
>>
How about you install on the 7.5GB drive and choose another location for the games to be installed?
>>
>>54739119
This isn't a GNU/Linux board. Go back to /v/
>>
>>54739119
When you click on a game to install it on the first window that pops up there will be a drop down menu. On here you have a choice to install on the default directory or to create a new library.

Hope this helps!
~Benjamin Johnson
>>
Benjaminfags should kill themselves
>>
>7.5 /
where will your new programs go?
repartition again
>>
>>54739150
disregard this I suck cocks
~Benjamin Johnson
>>
>>54739119
>How do I choose what directory to install to?

You cant without unnecessary effort that doesn't benefit you in any way
Repartition with enough storage for games and other stuff

Go with 20 GB + the storage games take up as your root drive
And a swap partition that is half the size of your ram

Don't get separate home partitions because they aren't practically useful unless you use different drives
>>
>>54739234
This isn't me FYI guys- you can tell by the trip. Report impersonators please!
~Benjamin Johnson
>>
>>54739234
this is not me! you can tell by the trip, please report all impersonators.
~Benjamin Johnson
>>
>>54739137
This

>>54739408
Thank you for coming out of the closet so I can filter you
>>
>>54739463
Sorry for the double post, it was a mistake- please unfilter me so I can be known
~Benjamin Johnson
>>
>Ubuntu
>Steam
possibly also Skype?

Go back to Windows OP.
You have no idea what you are doing.
>>
File: 2ec.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>54739119
>he fell in the linux meme
>>
File: 1459238767798.png (31 KB, 720x644) Image search: [Google]
1459238767798.png
31 KB, 720x644
>he actually took the linux bait
>>
Steam is garbage
>>>/v/
Fucking faggots
>>
>>54739491

I fucking hate you.
>>
File: 1405730217606.jpg (189 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1405730217606.jpg
189 KB, 1252x1252
>>54739119
>2016
>falling for the linux meme

Come on, man.. step it up, it ain't funny anymore
>>
>>54739333
>Don't get separate home partitions because they aren't practically useful unless you use different drives
worst advice ever. what if OP wants to change distros later on? or shit hits the fan and OP need to make a clean install of the OS?

anyways OP, you did good in switching to linux, ignore the samefag saying its a meme, what you need to do is repartiton, i recommend you use GParted, google it.

make your root partition big enough for game and program installs, id say 50gb is big enough, you should also have a swap partition that as the other poster said, it should be half the size of your ram, and then move your home into another big partition, this is where your going to be keeping all your personal files so make it big.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.