[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
weechat urxvt tmux mutt ncmpcpp zsh i3 vim htop feh mpc palemoon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1460228090843.gif (561 KB, 119x152) Image search: [Google]
1460228090843.gif
561 KB, 119x152
weechat
urxvt
tmux
mutt
ncmpcpp
zsh
i3
vim
htop
feh
mpc
palemoon
tewifont
git
dmenu
dunst
msmtp
gobook
offlineimap
yaourt
wine-staging
ffmpeg
zathura
latex
rtorrent

i want to get into linux but i struggle hard with cli management. what can i do to refine myself? i keep getting errors on various levels for changing config files or even just locating them. it really hurts but i know the potential behind cli is that i can navigate without having to bend my wrist a shitload with the mouse, and to me that's valuable as fuck because i already spend hours on end drawing and playing the piano.

basically, for /g/, do you guys ever look at a mouse and think "i wish i didn't have to" or to a trackpad? i just got fed up. i'm gonna be getting a small keyboard and will just throw this shit away if i can, but i'm worried about how my productivity will drop due to having to learn keybinds. am i biting off more than i can chew by trying to replace EVERYTHING with keys?
>>
>>54729981
Using the mouse is actually more ergonomic and better for your wrists than keeping it perched over the keyboard and twisting your hands around to hit obscure key combos for every tool you use.

>am i biting off more than i can chew by trying to replace EVERYTHING with keys?
You're wasting your time. You'd be more productive just getting to work than forcing yourself to memorize dozens of key binds for dozens of programs just to save yourself a second of clicking so you can feel cool on /g/.

t., an emacs and vim user who has no problem using the mouse when it's the appropriate and easy tool for the job at hand.
>>
>>54729981
Properly-built GUIs can provide more intuitive user experiences than memorizing hundreds of different commands and keybinds.

But I guess it won't make you feel like a leet h4x0r so do what you like.
>>
>>54730387
hitting a key to me is just a position of my finger and not my whole wrist. i spend hours drawing and making music, and it pays its toll on me. when i have to write documents and code alongside that, i just want to be able to allocate some of it away from a mouse.
>>
>>54730509
https://support.lenovo.com/dk/en/documents/pd005137
Get one of these. Or a trackball.
>>
>>54730509
Typing, especially to an excess amount, can cause RSI.
>>
>>54730543
i was thinking i'd get a tenkeyless and a touch sensitive floormat as a mouse.
>>
>>54730591
>a touch sensitive floormat as a mouse.
what
>>
>>54730602
basically i'd swipe around the mat like i was tap dancing. i thought i'd call it hack-dancing.
>>
>>54729981
dont take away mouse.
it can be comfy.

however, if you work on the keyboard alot, its better to stay on the keyboard for longer periods to do work, than moving your hand to the mouse to move the cursor and that constant switching promotes more RSI.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.