[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Data Backup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Is backing up your data worth it or is it a meme?

The other day while organizing my collection of music, videos, pictures etc i realized i didn't have a backup for some 6TB of files, and i've had some of these drives for going on 7 years now. I'd be devastated if i lost all this data, some of it has no other copies online like personal documents, photos i took, music i recorded, artwork and such.

Maybe i should back it up... do drives fail more often as they get older?

Have you ever like had your drives fail and were happy to have the backups to restore from?
>>
>>54692456
>I'd be devastated if I lost all this data
>should I make backups?
pretty sure the first statement provides the answer for the question bruh
>>
>is data backup a meme

christ you need to really fucking read a book you anti social dumbass fuck
>>
>>54692576
Well do u have any backups mr. namefag
>>
File: pretended.png (1 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
pretended.png
1 MB, 1440x1080
>>54692456
>>
>>54692456
>I'd be devastated if i lost all this data
There's your answer.
>>
This sort of thoughts keep me up at night. I don't want to lose my curated music collections and shit, but I don't have any free space to back them up. I'm a poor NEET, can't afford another drive.
>>
>>54692456
i always hardware raid my data, and back up that data with a sector wide backup
>>
>>54693358
what is mega zn free storage cloud?
>>
Backups are pointless and a waste of money. Just don't save unnecessary shit and you'll never need backups.

You invest hundreds of dollars in a backup, all to what... get a small feeling of satisfaction from restoring after data loss? lmao
>>
>>54693769
>>54693769
>Dont save unnecessary shit
So what about the necessary shit? Are you saying that data that is necessary doesnt need backing up either? Are you this fucking retarded?
>>
>>54694436
None of it will matter when you're old and grey.
>>
>>54694448
Why would I back up data and expect to need it for the next 50/60/70 years? Im backing up necessary data I need protecting right now.
>>
>>54692456
Most of my data is in torrents so if I lose them it's not a big deal. Something I have been meaning to do is setup a system where at least the magnet links are backed up in my email mailbox or on another computer somewhere.

As for other backup use, join the botnet paid service. Crashplan is shit simple to setup.
>>
>>54692456
>Is backing up your data worth it or is it a meme?
Are you serious?
>>
If you have nothing but downloaded media you don't really need to backup your anime. If you have work stuff get crashplan for 9 dollars a month. Local backups are a meme, offsite is the only true security.
>>
File: 1463490840458.png (479 KB, 496x744) Image search: [Google]
1463490840458.png
479 KB, 496x744
It's not important smash your hard drive while your at it....
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.