[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning about computers.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 1200x798
What's the best way to get into computers? Any good guides or books you reccomend? I know the basics but mainly need to know how to fix/mod a PC. Basically things that are more advanced than just building a PC.
>>
I don't know much about hardware, but I can give you a few pro tips on the software side if you want. But, since you're already here, you'll learn most of what I could write just by lurking on /g/.
>>
>>54691584
Thanks. I'm getting familiar with CPUs and gpus. Motherboards are newgrounds for me. But Iam familiar with Logicalincrements.
>>
>>54691537
Wikipedia
>>54691584
Worst advice ever, you will only "learn" about shitty memes
>>
>>54692062
Not true, I learned a lot from /g/ and the threads.
OP can for example go to friendly GNU/Linux thread and learn to install and use this OS. Then in DPT they will suggest Python and it's a good first programmin lang suggestion.
>>
>>54692062
Any good wiki links?
>>
>>54691537
I really discovered my interest and current knowledge of computing by tinkering with and collecting old hardware, it's a cheap way to explore computing without being super worried about breaking shit, and most of the stuff we do today is nothing new and exciting, just under different names.

Books and other resources just teach you regurgitation. Lurking /g/ to learn will only give you brain cancer.

Get a real interest in what you're doing, get a purpose.
>>
>>54692120
>Python
>a good first programmin lang
If OP wants to start programming, perhaps.
If he wants to learn programming, I disagree.
>>
>>54692420
C, if he wants to learn programming. I know people will disagree, the discussions always are long about it, but he has to start somewhere.
>>
>>54691537
For the electronical side get yourself a copy of the art of electronics. Read a few chapters in and once you have the fundamentals down you can move straight on to digital circuits. Learn about gates, registers and other low level logic systems, you can then use an online circuit simulator to build some basic systems.

For software/firmware you can't go wrong with micro controllers, they tech you low level memory access, register control, clock and tick relations, scheduling etc. gets you thinking about how the processor works not just writing some program.

After that you'll have a good EE background and anything you want to do with an off the shelf PC will come to you.
>>
>>54692611
Not OP, but I'm guessing you're a CE or EE, yes?
CS people don't do that much with hardware.
>>
>>54692665
neither :^) i'm more interested in mechanical engineering now, tho i did build a driver circuit this morning to take a <40mA PID signal for a SSR put out 8W to drive a relay that will actually last where the SSRs failed.
>>
>>54692731
MechEng, nice. I do some CS things, recently DICOM image processing, segmenting MRI brain scans, but nothing awesome to report yet.
>>
>>54691537

gentoo

the answer is always...gentoo
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.