[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHAT SHOULD I LEARN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: download (3).jpg (22 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
22 KB, 275x183
hey /g/ ive been wanting to start coding i have no previous experience so what should i do first Javascript HTML5 or CSS
>>
>>54679325
What do you want to do?
>>
>>54679325
Javascript is the only coding language there

That being said, Python is a better choice
>>
>>54679325
Is there not a sticky for these dumb ass types of questions?
>>
>>54679343
there is. idiots just don't check for that shit.
>>
File: 1462813049055.gif (129 KB, 530x420) Image search: [Google]
1462813049055.gif
129 KB, 530x420
>>54679325
Don't listen to >>54679331, he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, start by learning C.
>>>/wsr/ is also a thing.
>>
>>54679355
OP do not start by learning C. You wouldn't learn to drive by starting with transmission rebuilds.
>>
>>54679405
what should i start with then
>>
File: 1461350897078.gif (507 KB, 500x520) Image search: [Google]
1461350897078.gif
507 KB, 500x520
>>54679464
OP, don't listen to this guy >>54679405 either, I started with C and I am very much glad that I did so, it really taught me a lot. If you're more interested in the 'making' aspect of programming, though, C++ might be a bit better for you.
And as a side note, the languages you listed aren't used for actualy programming, Javascript is for scripting and HTML/CSS aren't even languages in the first place.
>>
Go through code school
>>
Start with Pseint. You faggot.
>>
I feel like there's a school of thought about teaching programming that basically advocates that your first experience in programming should be this frustrating or otherwise unpleasant experience.

The closest analogy I can think of to this way of thinking is hazing in fraternities. I've never heard any compelling evidence for this approach to learning CS (except "i did it and i came out all right!" which neglects to account for the people that dropped out thinking that if *that* was the introductory stuff, maybe the rest would be even more esoteric and therefore less interesting).

I strongly think that python is the most accessible language with lots of tutorials and guides, but if you give it a shot and it's not your speed, go try other languages. a lot of people like ruby, java, haskell, javascript, and even C. dabble in any/all of them and if one stands out as especially rewarding to work with, then drop the others and run with that one.

learning to program is, in this one narrow way, like exercising. if you're not doing it at all, then literally any exercising is fine. bike, or walk, or jog, or lift weights. whichever of those things you can be bothered enough to do would be better than doing nothing. the same is true with programming; find some language that you enjoy enough to work with, and stick with it. the fight at this point is to avoid you getting fed up with errors and bugs and quitting.

if you really get into it, then we can talk about picking up other languages. there's no proven cost to learning programming languages in a specific order, so the claim that some C advocates make that you should *start* with C is at the very least unsubstantiated, and at worst specious.
>>
>>54679325
C is a decent idea if you want to make a career out of programming or join the whole maker thing. Lots of the microcontrollers I've seen can be programmed in C, and knowing C will make learning other languages much easier. Knowing multiple languages unlocks more career opportunities--not to say there aren't enough in C, but there's a lot more if you know, say, C#, Python, or C++ in addition to C.

Python might be good if you already have a career but want to automate some tedious parts. If you just want to be a web dev fuccboi, learn JavaScript and THEN learn the Node.js/Angular stuff. I have to deal with lots of people who did it the other way around, don't be like them.

If you just want to learn programming, you can start god damn anywhere you please. Every language is different, excels at different things, and lets you express an idea in different ways. Some work with hardware that's readily available, some don't, but learning all about that is part of the journey.
>>
>>54679488
>Javascript is for scripting and HTML/CSS aren't even languages in the first place.

But together, you can make the same programs that you can make with C/C++. There's a guy who wrote a gameboy emulator in Javascript. The only limit is your skills.
>>
>>54679325
Learn all three of those simultaneously, as they offer different aspects to website development.

On the side, try Python, Ruby, or Java, a few easypeasy languages that are versatile and popular enough to have a lot of big boy implementation out there.
>>
/g/ is a bad place to ask about it, you should check /reddit/, the problem is, that 98% of /g/ are meme autist without basic knowledge of programming ant other 2% are not posting in threads like this.

Few years ago I was learning programming as /g/ said. Like a true autist, I was doing assigments with C while my peers were doing it with one or two lines of code in python.

Most of them despite being CS graduate are not able to explain what pointer or opcode is, but they have good jobs.

I would say that you should learn python first, but you have to understand that learning programming is different from learning syntax. You have to learn how to use loops, arrays, conditionals etc, then you have to learn how to build program using this part.

Then you will be able true if programming is for you.
>>
>>54681320

Not OP, but would you say that learning programming is in some ways similar to learning formal logic?
>>
Start with JavaScript or Python (it's pretty much the same) then slowly convert to C. From C you can build up almost anything else. If you want to go into OOP start with C++ after C and then go to Java. Don't learn HTML and CSS unless you want to do web related stuff, they are easy as fuck to learn but don't help you with real programming at all.
>>
File: sips fedora.png (113 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
sips fedora.png
113 KB, 300x300
>>54679325
C is too inefficient desu

Start by learning VHDL
>>
>>54679330
I don't like web design, but I want to make simple and useful, responsive, elegant and simple web apps, data visualization, things like that... "single page apps"

JS the way to go? FreeCodecamp good?
>>
>>54681937
I don't have web design experience, but I'm pretty sure you'll want to learn HTML and CSS. They're just markup languages, like LaTeX; easy to learn. I think JS operates on top of them.

Anyways, learning programming in another setting if you haven't already will help you out a lot.
>>
>>54679325
http://www.programmingbasics.org/en/
this will get you started
>>
You should just stick with shell for now. It's usefull and easy. After that maybe Python. CSS is only a style sheet that works with HTML which is only a markup language and wont really prepare you for programming.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.