[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Java just a shittier version of C#?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
Is Java just a shittier version of C#?
>>
File: iM59R8m.png (131 KB, 359x538) Image search: [Google]
iM59R8m.png
131 KB, 359x538
>anything other than c is shit
>>
>>54673946
>windows only unless you want some slow crap without the half of the library
no thanks
>>
>>54673946
C# began as a copy of Java on the .NET platform.
>>
>>54673946
You trying to start a fight OP?
>>
Is c# relevant if you're not developing only for windows? Sure, there's mono, but what about osx? Or android? Or ios? Or people that don't want to install mono because it's crap? I'd like to try c#, but i'm afraid when windows dies so will this useless language.
>>
>>54674208
>When Windows dies
>>
>>54674208
>Or ios
Java is useless for iOS as well.

>I'd like to try c#, but i'm afraid when windows dies so will this useless language.
If you actually wanted to try C#, you just would.
>>
>>54674208
All you had to do was google Mono.

>Mono can be run on many software systems including Android, most Linux distributions, BSD, OS X, Windows, Solaris, and even some game consoles such as PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360.
>>
>>54674208
>Or people that don't want to install mono because it's crap?
not how mono works, you're thinking of Java

>but i'm afraid when windows dies so will this useless language
>windows
>dies
>>
>>54673946
Yes, you could say Java is more poo than C#
>>
>>54673946
C# came later, so the opposite.
Although java has a massive advantage over C#: if you look at the libraries available for any one task, there are 2-3 for C#. 1 is closed-source, 1 is closed-source and behind a paywall, and if there's another one it's open-source but behind a paywall.
Meanwhile in java, you have 4-5 libraries for that task, and all of them are opensource.
>>
>>54674932
>Although java has a massive advantage over C#: if you look at the libraries available for any one task, there are 2-3 for C#. 1 is closed-source
and that one is all you need. It's maintained by the people who develop C# and is, in almosst every case, perfectly implemented and optimized.

I don't want to use a stackoverflow-tier library maintained by unemployed kids for every operation that isn't simple math.
>>
>>54674208

>when windows dies

BAKA
>>
>>54674978
>I don't want to use a stackoverflow-tier library maintained by unemployed kids for every operation that isn't simple math.
Then you don't want to use C#.
>>
>>54674978
Many Java open source library are under Apache projects though.
>>
The whole point of Java was to be a cross-platform solution and to loosen the deathgrip that Microsoft used to have on software. It worked despite Microsoft attempts to poison the market with an "alternative" called C#
>>
>>54674027
It's not Windows-only anymore.
Linux and Mac are officially supported in the upcoming version of .NET. The only thing that might not work is WPF, but there are other cross-platform UI toolkits already.
>>
daily reminder that C#, .NET and pretty much everything related to it have been open sourced under the very permissive MIT license. Linux, Mac and Windows are officially supported and you can contribute on github if you want.

https://github.com/dotnet/

People ITT don't seem to know anything about this.
>>
File: 20160522044738.png (52 KB, 935x711) Image search: [Google]
20160522044738.png
52 KB, 935x711
>>54674027
>>
>>54677370
.net core is a complete joke for the time being though. Not only is it slow as balls but it's also incomplete as shit and the build scripts don't even work except on windows.
>>
>>54674208
>90% market is not relevant
>when windows dies
kek
>>
>>54673946
Java: write once, run everywhere
C#: write once, take MS cock up your ass
>>
>>54674208

You don't need to worry about programming language

learning the first is the hardest because you are learning from nothing

learning the second one is hard because your begging to learn different ways to get things done and breaking established rules your brain had

after that you can learn many more

I started with JAVA, then easily learned Actionscript, then learning C++ was quite difficult, but then C#, Python, Ruby, PHP where a breeze

having worked in this business for some time, the most valuable isn't creating code from scratch on the best language

but having the skills to use already existing libraries, analyze them, and adapt them by removing or adding processes to suit your project best, because every project is unique and libraries usually try to be "one fits all"
>>
>>54674208

The official Microsoft .NET runtime is free as in freedom, and runs on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD. I think there's also a port to NetBSD in progress at the moment. As for Android and iOS, there is Xamarin for that.

The official Microsoft compiler for C#, Roslyn, is also free as in freedom and runs on non-Microsoft platforms.
>>
>>54677436
Good luck writing a cross-platform UI with C# though.
> inb4 Gtk# and the rest of the shit

It's the slowest and buggiest shit ever.
>>
>>54678454
If thats true why dont they just port Visual Studio to Linux and Mac? Why we do we still have to use reverse engineered Mono?
>>
>>54673980
he said C#
>>
>>54680466
Because VS is like a 30 year old quadrillion line codebase with most likely a ton of Windows-specific hacks. It's not "just port"ing it.
>>
>>54673946
c# is the bastard child of c++ and java.
>>
>>54680977
too bad for MS, Java doesnt have any problem running any of its IDEs on any OS
>>
File: devenv_2016-05-22_10-17-34.png (122 KB, 1920x1050) Image search: [Google]
devenv_2016-05-22_10-17-34.png
122 KB, 1920x1050
java ee dev here
can i use this application insights debugger on a production website?
>>
>>54673946
how did microshit get away with blatantly ripping off java?
>>
>>54681612
they didnt, look up J++
>>
All the training I've done is in Spring and where I work makes heavy use of Spring, which is handy because I haven't really dabbled in anything else.

I recently got set up on django after following some of the tutorials and it's pretty straightforward.

Rails has missing libraries on Windows and I couldn't be fucked sorting it out.

Are these hipster frameworks worth learning?
>>
>>54677974
Java: write once, runaway.
>>
>>54681688
>Are these hipster frameworks worth learning?
no
>>
>>54677412
Daily reminder that C#, .NET and pretty much everything related are not properly maintained under Linux, so forget it if you're expecting security update just like any other Linux package.
>>
>>54680226
For a mobile cross-platform UI toolkit there's Xamarin Forms, which runs on Android, iOS and WP. It's pretty good in terms of features and mostly bug-free.
For desktop, well yeah, there's Gtk, Qt and a bunch of other smaller toolkits that have C# bindings. You can also use WinForms, which usually works cross-platform but is ugly as fuck.
But Java's cross-platform UI isn't really better than these options.
>>
>>54682415
But they are. See
>>54677436
They officially build for Linux/BSD/... You can report bugs and security issues, or even better, fix them yourself and create a pull request.
>>
>>54677933
>slow as balls
citation needed

>incomplete as shit
it's not finished yet, but the BCL and most extra libs have already been ported, not sure what you're missing.

>build scripts don't even work except on windows
they do, for the officially supported OS.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.