[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need a good solution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: tbhfam.png (2 MB, 1484x1234) Image search: [Google]
tbhfam.png
2 MB, 1484x1234
What up /g/? I'm looking for a good solution.

So this summer I'm going to be away on at an internship and I want to be able to play games (inb4 >>>/v/). I mostly play Battlefield and Fallout which need a good GPU. I said fuck no to shipping my desktop tower because I've heard horror stories. I have an older laptop (Asus A53SV-NH51) but it has a shit GPU, and a pretty good Surface Pro 3.

Here are some options, maybe you guys can help me come up with some better ones:

1. Suck it up and not play vidya.
2. Bring shit-tier laptop and play at 12fps.
3. eGPU setup via mPCI-e (via the onboard wifi slot)
4. Buy a gaming laptop and try to sell it after this summer.

The only other option is to use my parent's Costco membership to buy a laptop and then return it after 90 days. Just ship it back before then, but that's a dick move. Anyways, anyone got any ideas?

-Thanks
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>>/v/
>>
play different games that your laptop can run stupid
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>54672804
Go with option 4
>>
File: trump_shrug.jpg (135 KB, 1024x551) Image search: [Google]
trump_shrug.jpg
135 KB, 1024x551
>>54672843

But then how can I show off my e-peen?
>>
>>54672889
Get the Dell Inspiron 15 7000
It's only $800
>>
>>54672908

Wow that's a pretty good deal. I'll have to look into that one. Then I'm only out 800 and I can sell it. Thanks!
>>
THE FUCK IS THAT ABOMINATION
>I-i want laptop to be portable and maybe sum gaymes
>portable
>>
Find a $700 or less laptop with skylake and any Nvidia GPU (probably a GTX 960m). Theres a lot of them around that price range. That or just don't play vidya.
>>
Why would you need to ship your desktop? Can you not carry a small tower on a plane?
>>
>>54672908
I have this. It can play fallout 4 on low settings with good framerates
>>
>>54672804
You could also take out the parts from your desktop, package them well to ship safely and simply buy a new case in that other place. Or just bring them with you instead of shipping, if you can, I don't know how you'll be traveling.

That would probably get you the best performance for the least money.
>>
>>54672804
>Fallout
>Battlefield

kill yourself my man
>>
>>54673155
>>54672804
>no one understands it's a dock
>>
>5. Learn to like games that don't require a monster e-peen to play
>>
>>54672804
mitx build and one high quality monitor
>>
>>54672804
What type of internship?
>>
>>54672804

If you already have your Surface Pro 3 for work, quick browsing etc...then one idea is to simply get a gaming notebook. There are even some today that are more premium focused - alloy chassis, thin in comparison to their power, and lots of power etc. Asus, Sager, MSI, and Razer (New Blade) have good offerings in this regard. Note, you will want to wait as long as possible because there will be a new generation of GPUs coming out .

The other thing which will be coming soon, maybe even soon enough, is Thunderbolt 3 external GPU dock gaming. No proprietary stuff like the pic in your OP. Make sure you have a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 Port (via USB Type C. TB3 is actually fully compatible with USB 3.1 Type C, DisplayPort, gig or 10 gig ethernet, charging etc..) and buy one of the docks, plug in an external desktop video card.

I actually suggest looking into Razer, as amazingly unlike some of their other peripherals, their systems seem to be not-shit. The Razer Blade Stealth is a 4K compatible thin and light, IGZO 10 bit multitouch screen having laptop, without a discrete GPU, but w/ Thunderbolt 3. It pairs with the Razer Core, so when you're in your room or whatnot and want to get gaming, you can use a discrete GPU and a single connection from the "dock" to your Stealth and have full desktop upgradable GPU power. The only downside of the Stealth is its Core i7 is a fucking hyperthreaded dual core, not a true quad - I can't iunderstand why they came so fucking close.

Alternately, you can buy "The New Razer Blade" which comes with a Nvidia 970 etc.. (and maybe something newer when Nvidia launches their new cards in the 1000 series etc and it is updated) and has TB3 so you won't need an external GPU now, but later if you are in need of more GPU power, you can buy a TB3 dock of sorts and you're set.
>>
You can run Fallout fine on a GTX 760. Any half decent gaming laptop should cover that.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.