[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate Arch's pacman?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 2548x2464) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99 KB, 2548x2464
I'm genuinely curious as to why pacman gets so much shit. I've been using Arch with no DE for my home server (acts as my router, firewall, webserver and mailserver) and have had no issues with pacman. This is not b8, I really want to hear what people have against it
>>
>>54658703
They don't.Most people hate apt.
/thread
>>
Also, general Arch discussion welcome
>>
>>54658740
Then why has it become a meme?
>mfw pacman messed up X again kek
>>
>>54658773
This isn't 2008,son.You need to update your dank meme cache.
>>
>>54658773
its not a meme its people being mad.
ever since they updated pacman to preserver both new and old configuraiton files and when they switched to systemd the only way you could possibly break your system is installing aur packages manually instead of using something like pacaur or yaourt.
>>
>>54658703
Some like being a hipster.

Pacman doesn't want to remove gnome-shell if I want to remove some shit games. It's written in C, well structured and the output is not a 500 word essay tier mess
>>
>>54658773
Pacman will not overwrite .conf files if they've been editted.
A .pacnew file will be generated beside the existing conf file, and it's up to the user to merge in the changes.
Xorg.conf would probably be a common conf file to tweak.
If a noob didn't keep on top of his pacnew files, this could eventually cause a problem.
But pacman alerts you when they are generated.
Other than that, there's no reason I can think of why Arch would "break" anything. It's solid as fuck. I used it for years. But I still distro hop.
>>
>>54658794
>using dank to describe memes
Maybe you need to update you spicy meme cache as well, dad
>>
>>54658984
You got me,kid.You got me.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.