[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I just installed Debian with XFCE for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: th.jpg (9 KB, 300x164) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9 KB, 300x164
Hey guys, I just installed Debian with XFCE for the first time and I'm eager to make the desktop I wanted on Windows.

Where can I start learning about customizing my Linux desktop?
>>
Google. Everything on the screen has a configuration file somewhere which you can edit. If there's something else you want to add, you'll find suggestions on Google too.
>>
>>54655778
Post something you would like to get and maybe you'll get info on how to do it or at least which software you need to use.
>>
>>54655841
I'm really not sure what I want, other than having a darker desktop.

I think I could do without the MAC OS style dock at the bottom of the screen, and maybe put the the top panel to the bottom in its place, etc.

Does XFCE let you have widgets?
>>
wiki.installgentoo.com
>>
>>54655878
>dock at the bottom of the screen
Google "xfce dock"

>top panel to the bottom
Google "xfce toolbar bottom"

>widgets
Google "xfce widgets"

The information for each of these ideas is either the first or second search result.
>>
>>54655878
If you mean something like Rainmeter stuff from windows or those widgets from Vista era, you can use conky to add them. Just google for "conky" and you will eventually find pre-configured user themes.
For xfce themes go to xfce-look.org.
>>
>>54655938
Yep!
I just found information on Conky just now, it looks to be exactly what I want.

Also, I'm trying to find out if I can get the "Numix Dark" theme for XFCE. It was a skin I used back on Windows 8 with UXThemePatcher. Surely I can.
>>
>>54655938
The themes I download off that site don't show up in the appearance options. Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>54656287
nvm got it
>>
>>54656287
https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes
>>
>>54656664
Yeah got it.
Now there's something triggering the fuck out of me: Everything is dark except the network manager. The icon in the taskbar and the context menu stay the same blinding white color.
>>
>>54656764
it might have dependencies check the index.theme file in the icon folder and look at the line that says Inherits
>>
>>54656821
Nope.
Dependencies are met.

I think this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=129537 might yield the answer but so far making the config has done nothing.
>>
>>54656821
Ok I got it.
The context menu is still fucking white, but that's ok. I just won't open it.

Thanks guys, now I have a sexy black desktop.
>>
>>54657106
Post pic so we can fap
>>
>>54657677
true story
>>
>>54655778
Hey so I got everything fixed up, but I'm trying to add my own shit to the applications menu like I could the start menu back in Windows.

Is there an easy way to just add a category with shortcuts to the menu?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.