[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vintage/old tech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 736x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 736x488
Is there still any good buying/using used tech, like speakers, amps, old pc's & shit. I know devices with batteries are most likely screwed. Just wonder if there is any actual life expectancy for buying shit like this.
>>
It's good to use because it lasts forever. And older electronics stuff like that are shit easy to fix
>>
>>54650502
I have a pair of speakers very similar to OP's pic. Pretty solid stuff, the sound probably isn't as rich as some of the new stuff but I'm not complaining.
>>
>>54650823
I know amps and speakers(that are treated well) can last a long time.

I had a Sony amp from 2000 that had a messed up potentiometer. If I found out how to fix it would be fine. Someone recommended wd40,lolno. I keep passing up nice floorstanding speakers in used furniture stores though.
>>
>>54650907
I don't want to get the new tower speakers, but some nice floorstanding stereo speakers like pic related. I am putting together an entertainment system.
>>
Audio equipment has no age limitations as long as long it sounded good in the first place. It's all rebuildable. Speakers and amps from the '50s are still in as much demand as brand new equipment, and for novelty purposes you can still use radios made in the 1910s if you want. There's usually very little point in buying new audio gear. Used stuff is a fraction of the cost of new stuff of the same quality.

Note I did say "as long it sounded good in the first place." Just because it's older doesn't mean it's any good. A Thorens 124 turntable from the '60s might be worth over $1K but that doesn't mean a $5 portable record player from the same time period is worth listening to.

>>54650913
>I had a Sony amp from 2000

Probably junk unless it was an ES model.
>>
>mfw using a 10 year old auzen xplosion 7.1 with akron 4 way floor standers from the 70s using a sony amp

Feels retropunk as fuck
>>
>>54651522
>It's all rebuildable

Unless it's not. Some gear used proprietary parts that are no longer available. One could probably modify the circuitry or design replacement parts but this could negate the cost savings of the vintage gear.
>>
File: 000.png (869 B, 120x94) Image search: [Google]
000.png
869 B, 120x94
>>54651571
>>
>>54650502

mechanical speakers can last over 40 years, except for the woofer surrounds
>>
File: 1429263216363.jpg (37 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
1429263216363.jpg
37 KB, 177x278
>>54651844
>tons of vintage speaks up for cheap on craigslist
>parts all swapped out
>>
>>54652189
Look at thrift shops / goodwill and at the dump

Usually find good old silver faced receivers and speakers as well. A couple weekends a month I make some trips around, find old stuff like this to fix up and sell (or keep). Its fun, usually make a decent amount of profit

Goodwill not so much anymore though, now they usually check what they're selling and price according to internet.
>>
>>54651844
>Unless it's not. Some gear used proprietary parts that are no longer available. One could probably modify the circuitry or design replacement parts but this could negate the cost savings of the vintage gear.

But those situations are in the minority. Most of the time you can buy something that works and just needs minor attention from age. If you have a good reason to want to use a device that uses a proprietary part, if it's a popular brand very often you can source something from the community.
>>
>>54652085

And the capacitors in the crossovers could be well out of spec

...and ferro fluid could be dried up in the drivers.
>>
>>54652220
Thrift shops here don't carry anything other than the wardrobes of dead fat people, unfortunately.
>>
File: idk.jpg (67 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
idk.jpg
67 KB, 960x540
Denon something or other. Tuner I think.
>>
Just refurbished this bad boy the other day. Sounds good!
>>
>>54652700
I had a chance to get a nice pair from a store way north of my city. Actually had plenty of speakers. I went there last year and basically had none. Just found out I have a used electronics store near me.
>>
>>54652746

It's a receiver, and not a very good one at that. I'd guess circa 2000 without knowing more.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.